Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Final wipe down....

Alright guys, this is something that I have fought with for years! Getting good, clean paint with a quick detailer product after a final wipe down. Just about everything I use doesn`t work at some point and time, they all leave streaks like this...

You can see the streaks just above the light. I know this is very mild, but it SERIOUSLY bugs the living crap out of me. I have purchased several different brands over the years, and they have all done this. I know I haven`t tried everything out there, and would like to hear some comments on what works for you guys. I`ve been hearing a lot about Adams products, but haven`t tried them yet. Anyone have any feedback on Adams quick detailer product? Any more suggestions on other brands that won`t streak?

Thanks,
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that your face in the reflection? You look like some type of Central American Maya deity... kind of scary...

As far as Adam`s detail spray, I would recommend Speed Shine (I think) by Chemical Guy`s if that is the shine you are after. I have both, and while I am NOT saying they are the same (although others have) I will say that they have the same scent, same consistency, spray the same, and work identicaly.

Do you get streaking with M34 or M135?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post

Do you get streaking with M34 or M135?
    That picture was taken yesterday, right after wiping it down with Final Inspection(M34), and M135 for me just doesn`t most of the time. Leaves really bad streaks. Not sure it it has to do with the weather. I know a LOT of people are having great success with M135, but I can`t get it to work right most of the time.

Let me just say this, all of the quick detailer products work pretty good for me at some point and time. But sometimes they just won`t work right and leave streaks. I`m looking for a single solution to keep in the van. Right now I have 4 different types in there, just in case one doesn`t work, I`ll have a back up that will work.

Nick

TOGWT
    Quick detailers, often shortened to (QD) are a car detailing product with limited cleaning, gloss, and protection properties. They contain either Flouropolymers, which repels water, dirt, or oil or Silicone polymers, which also repel water while attracting oil and dirt.

Most quick detailing sprays diminish true surface slipperiness every time they are used, this occurs because a polymer is not easily adaptable to a spray formula. To be efficient the polymer needs to be emulsified to work as a spray, most quick detail sprays create a short-lived, slippery finish by using silicone oils and water but this attracts dust and do little to increase durability.

The silicone emulsion may be what is causing the streaking problem, silicone affects each paint somewhat differently, you may also find that some QD`s are forumulated with a more refined (hydrocarbon) silicone, which would have a different (positive) affect on the paint surface

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Quick detailers, often shortened to (QD) are a car detailing product with limited cleaning, gloss, and protection properties. They contain either Flouropolymers, which repels water, dirt, or oil or Silicone polymers, which also repel water while attracting oil and dirt.

Most quick detailing sprays diminish true surface slipperiness every time they are used, this occurs because a polymer is not easily adaptable to a spray formula. To be efficient the polymer needs to be emulsified to work as a spray, most quick detail sprays create a short-lived, slippery finish by using silicone oils and water but this attracts dust and do little to increase durability.

The silicone emulsion may be what is causing the streaking problem
    Is this climate sensitive? Humidity? Heat?
    Really curious on why some of them work great, then the next day I can`t do crap with it. Frustrating! That picture above is mild, but it seriously drives me insane! Nothing I hate worse than having to leave a car looking like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my Brinkman Dual Xenon lamp this week and somethings you just do not need to know. As expected, I saw lots of fine swirls but I used it after a paint cleaning and discovered I was not removing all the paint cleaner. It had some smearing/streaking similar to your QD experimence. It annoyed me knowing what I was leaving on the paint.

I now have made IPA (50/50) a standard step in my polishing project.

A little knowledge means extra work !
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I got my Brinkman Dual Xenon lamp this week and somethings you just do not need to know. As expected, I saw lots of fine swirls but I used it after a paint cleaning and discovered I was not removing all the paint cleaner. It had some smearing/streaking similar to your QD experimence. It annoyed me knowing what I was leaving on the paint.

I now have made IPA (50/50) a standard step in my polishing project.

A little knowledge means extra work !
    Oh, I wipe all of my cars down with a 50/50 alcohol before I go to my wax. So that isn`t the issue. This is geared towards the final wipe down, after I`ve packed up all of my supplies, and ready to deliver the car to the customer. Usually have to fight with this for an hour before I walk away from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had really good luck with the Prima Slick for my final wipe down. No streaking that I have noticed at all. And if there was, it was generally due to a microfiber that wasn`t quite dry or had become too saturated in product to work optimally.

D!
    D!Tail Guru
    TSGAutoCare
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had a streaking problem with Z6. Even on black paint in direct sunlight, no streaks.

Of course, everyone has their favorites!!!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems i get streaking issues with any detail spray in below 55 degrees or above 85 degrees, just an estimate. The panel Cant be too hot and it cant be too cold
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoZ71 View Post
    It seems i get streaking issues with any detail spray in below 55 degrees or above 85 degrees, just an estimate. The panel Cant be too hot and it cant be too cold
    Could it be related to humidity?
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Adam`s QD for a number of years now, and I cannot recall an incident where I experienced streaks/smears etc. It is one of my favorites.

If you are just giving the vehicle an once over and not looking to add additional gloss PB`s Spray & Wipe is also a consistent performer. Highly recommended, with the caveat that it will not add to nor detract from the gloss of your LSP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
    Alright guys, this is something that I have fought with for years! Getting good, clean paint with a quick detailer product after a final wipe down. Just about everything I use doesn`t work at some point and time, they all leave streaks like this...

You can see the streaks just above the light. I know this is very mild, but it SERIOUSLY bugs the living crap out of me. I have purchased several different brands over the years, and they have all done this. I know I haven`t tried everything out there, and would like to hear some comments on what works for you guys. I`ve been hearing a lot about Adams products, but haven`t tried them yet. Anyone have any feedback on Adams quick detailer product? Any more suggestions on other brands that won`t streak?

Thanks,
    Nick

I use 2 products at different times..
    for final wipedown, i use Z6 from Zaino and i apply with one towel and i use another fresh towel to buff, just make sure the ambient temperature is above 45F. For a deep and shimmering shine i use Z8 same procedure 2 towels. Z8 can streak on you if you use too much or apply on a warm surface, you can also dilute it so it wont streak on you. but always use 2 towles. I use it on my black vehicle and i have no streaking.

Claude

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
    Is this climate sensitive? Humidity? Heat?
    Really curious on why some of them work great, then the next day I can`t do crap with it. Frustrating! That picture above is mild, but it seriously drives me insane! Nothing I hate worse than having to leave a car looking like that.
    Thre is no such thing in detailing as `One one size fits all` temperature, humidity, paint specification, etc are just a few of the things that will affect the outcome of product application

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a silly question, but assuming that one has applied one or two coats of a good wax/sealant, why do a final wipedown with a quick detailer? I know that the quick detailer adds a little bit extra gloss and shine, but might that not also detract in someway from the look of the wax? I am not a professional, of course. I only detail my own cars. But I do now have a couple of nice waxes in my collection, and I`m hesitant about using a quick detailer on them after my initial waxing. It feels like pouring ketchup on filet mignon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information