Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruined Wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Ruined Wheel

So on Friday I went to a national wheel and tire store to have my wheels balanced and rotated. I arrived early so I was in and out in about an hour. As I was driving on the access road, away from the store, I heard a loud bang from the front left tire. At first I pulled over because it sounded like I blew a tire but when I checked everything was fine. I went back and one of the guys told me that the someone probably put a clip weight on the inside of the wheel and that it just probably came off. Ok, no problem, just take care of it. I was out of there within fifteen minutes of that.

Fast forward to Saturday evening. As I was talking to a friend of mine he commented on how nice my wheels were. I thanked him and told him how much I liked them because they were dark and not black, as I was looking down at them. Just at that same moment, what do I see? A huge chunk missing from the face of my wheel!!! From the looks of it, it appears that the impact wrench made contact with the wheel, while it was on.

I`m so annoyed with that place. It`s been one thing after another with them. I had even told the person at the counter to make sure that they were careful with their tools, because it looked like they were ruining the finish on my wheel, where the bolt pattern is. He told me in a dismissing manner, "Yeah, they will be careful. They`re professionals." He might as well have told me to take a flying leap! So this morning I called the district manager. We`ll see what happens. I`ll try and post a picture of it in a little while. I AM SO ANNOYED!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    when i had custom wheels on my last car i always made sure i switched my wheels out when i took the car in to get work done. But if i needed to have something done to the wheels i took them to a speed shop that always took good care of me...

i`m sorry about your wheel! That sucks!
    -Wes

Saving for my Audi S5

Post Thanks / Like
    This kind of stuff just pi**es me off!!!

Here`s the truth: They Don`t Care!!!!

Those guys are probably making 8 bucks an hour and couldn`t care less about your nice wheels, that your hard-earned money purchased.

You have to be right there watching them!!! And if they say "Customers are not allowed in the service area for safety reasons.", then I tell them, "Thanks, I`ll take my business elsewhere!!!"

[/rant off]
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    This kind of stuff just pi**es me off!!!

Here`s the truth: They Don`t Care!!!!

Those guys are probably making 8 bucks an hour and couldn`t care less about your nice wheels, that your hard-earned money purchased.

You have to be right there watching them!!! And if they say "Customers are not allowed in the service area for safety reasons.", then I tell them, "Thanks, I`ll take my business elsewhere!!!"

[/rant off]
    I agree.

JFYI use blue painters tape around the lug recesses,when you take it in to be serviced next time. It`ll protect them from "socket rub".

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
    I agree.

JFYI use blue painters tape around the lug recesses,when you take it in to be serviced next time. It`ll protect them from "socket rub".
    Great idea SSTG, Sorry about that Rusty, hope it turns out OK for you.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.

EXCELLENT!!! I`ll definitely remember that little trick!!!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Great idea SSTG, Sorry about that Rusty, hope it turns out OK for you.
    EXCELLENT!!! I`ll definitely remember that little trick!!!
    No problem guy`s.
    Amazing what you come up with...when your anal.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem guy`s.
    Amazing what you come up with...when your anal.
    Wife: What are you doing?
    Bill: Cleaning the door hinges.
    Wife: [Shakes head] You are soooooooooooo anal!
    Bill: Thank you.

Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wife: What are you doing?
    Bill: Cleaning the door hinges.
    Wife: [Shakes head] You are soooooooooooo anal!
    Bill: Thank you.

i actually do a little under body scrub... it never gets seen but the fact that i know theirs dirt under there just urks me so i clean the diff housing driveshaft tranny housing oil pan and lube the u joints and ect.

i feel like i have ocd when it comes to perfecting vehicles i can`t just finish one knowing i could have done more

Post Thanks / Like
    After speaking to the district manager, he told how sorry he was and told me that he would to do whatever it takes to make this right. He stated that they would take care of the ruined wheel (gee, thanks for doing me the favor of replacing something your guys messed up) and definitely speak to the store manager about his employees attitude. So I went and spoke to the manager and of course he was apologetic and wanted to replace it. However, now that I`ve had time to think about it, I`d like for them to replace my wheels that they`ve messed up. The manager himself even stated that they were beating up the face of the wheels.

My question to you now is, am I wrong or asking too much to want them to replace all
    of my wheels? Oxidation is starting to occur where the finish has been eaten away by their tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    My question to you now is, am I wrong or asking too much to want them to replace all
    of my wheels?
    Oxidation is starting to occur where the finish has been eaten away by their tools.
    Absolutely NOT!!! They did the damage! If they had been careful your wheels would look as good as the day you bought them.

It will be a lesson learned for that shop. Hopefully the manager will step up their Quality Control!!!!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just off of the phone with the manager of the store. I told him how much it was eating me up knowing that there would soon be one new, flawless wheel on my truck, while the others looked terrible. He was understanding and said that he could probably do it. I certainly hope so. I`ve been using this company for the past fifteen years. He seems to care about this problem and from what I`ve seen, wants to make it right. He should be calling me later this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a discount tire near my house when i used to live in florida that im guessing the impact socket came off while it was in motion because it had dings and dents all around the socket well then since it had a 4 inch crome lip i noticed a bunch of scrapes

since i tend to make sure everything anyone does is right when i was looking over my car before leaving i pointed out that they horribly messed up my rear rim and i wasnt going to settle for an im sorry because they were i-forged custom made rims they got me another complete set

i feel your pain completely but if youve had your wheels on your car and normal wear and tear is occuring and someone screwes up 1 just making 1 look good isnt enough i feel you should have all 4 replaced just for the sake of making the car look even

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with the manager again this early evening and he told me that he had found the wheels and he had ordered them. Then he told me that he was going to replace the two that were obviously damaged (one of them had chip on the lip that was starting to oxidize, where they had dropped something on it the time before my last rotation). He said that he could "give" me the other two for a smoking deal of $75 each. I told him thanks, but because I had to leave I couldn`t really talk and left it at that. I`m going to call him again tomorrow and let him know that I shouldn`t have to pay anything, especially since he acknowledged the fact that his staff had damaged them. The price is good, but I didn`t do the damage, so I feel that I shouldn`t have to pay them again.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information