Thread: Flex question

Post Thanks / Like

Flex question

Hello all. I`d like to buy a Flex but before I jump in and do it, I`d like to know if anyone here has ever had a problem with theirs. I`d like to get one online but I`m not sure what the process would be if something were to happen to it? One place I tried told me they had a 30 day warranty and anything after that I had to send it off to Flex. I just wanted to get advice from others before comitting to anything. Thanks, in advance for your help everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    Hello all. I`d like to buy a Flex but before I jump in and do it, I`d like to know if anyone here has ever had a problem with theirs. I`d like to get one online but I`m not sure what the process would be if something were to happen to it? One place I tried told me they had a 30 day warranty and anything after that I had to send it off to Flex. I just wanted to get advice from others before comitting to anything. Thanks, in advance for your help everyone!
    RustyBumper: If you are talking about the Flex Dual Action XC3401 we have seen overheating of the backing plate. This is caused by the felt gasket between the backing plate and the body that keeps dust from getting into the motor.

We spoke to someone that works on the Flex polishers and he said the felt gasket needs to be lubricated with a household type oil regularly to reduce the friction of the gasket.

If you do have a problem like this, and you purchase the machine from PAC, we have replacement backing plates and gaskets we will send you at no charge.

We haven`t had any problems with the Flex rotarys - LK603VVB or L3403VRG.
    Phil
    2002 Silver Audi S8
    "I raced back in a time when racing was dangerous, and sex was safe." - Sir Jackie Stewart
    ProperAutoCare
    Manufacturer of Blackfire and Eimann Fabrik

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help, Silver. Do you know if a video exists somewhere on the `net of how to oil the part(s)? Some of us aren`t that mechanically enclined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBumper View Post
    Thanks for the help, Silver. Do you know if a video exists somewhere on the `net of how to oil the part(s)? Some of us aren`t that mechanically enclined.
    No video that I know of, but here are the quick steps.

1. Remove the backing plate with the included wrench
    2. Remove the felt gasket
    3. Liberally apply the household oil to the felt so that it is completely soaked in
    4. Install the felt gasket in the slot on the backing plate
    5. Install the backing plate and tighten

That`s pretty much it.

We haven`t heard anything else from the people had the initial backing plate overheating problem that have gone to this solution. It seems to be the answer.
    Phil
    2002 Silver Audi S8
    "I raced back in a time when racing was dangerous, and sex was safe." - Sir Jackie Stewart
    ProperAutoCare

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah man, now I am back to buying a Makita; isn`t it kinda, sorta silly to buy a buffer that you have to oil to prevent overheating?, just how often does this have to be done, does it sling oil off, do the new plates prevent this?-the more I read about this uber buffer the less I understand why anyone would buy one.

Could someone post all the known issues with the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like
    The felt gasket soaks up the oil so there is no sling. Once it`s oiled, that should be it. This problem happens when the machine is used for a long period of time like when working on boats or RVs where you are working a large area with a long running time and with no rest to the machine. These guys that I know with this problem were all working on boats.

This is the only problem I know of with this machine. Anyone else know of other issues?
    Phil
    2002 Silver Audi S8
    ProperAutoCare

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I happen to own one also, and i use it on my pickup truck, polishing, waxing and buffing with it. thats about a 6hr process and never had this problem.
    I have never oiled any felt pad either.

Most of the time, i use it to apply wax and buff off with it. and thats about 4hrs. non stop.

I have the wife pouring water over my head so i dont over heat.

Claude

Post Thanks / Like
    So it appears that some need to be oiled and some do not, how does one make certain that he/she gets the permanently lubed one??

Post Thanks / Like
    With the exception of this issue, the Flex is a quality machine. It is leaps and bounds better than a PC/UDM,etc. With the KB method, I don`t think there will be anything that you couldn`t correct with a Flex. It`s the best of both worlds, safe because it`s a DA, but yet powerful enough to do serious correction if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    So it appears that some need to be oiled and some do not, how does one make certain that he/she gets the permanently lubed one??
    Most people will never have a need to lub the felt gasket especially if you are just using it on a car. I don`t know of any situation when working on a car that you would run the Flex that long. Like I said, the people that are seeing the heating issue are working on large boat surfaces where the machine is running constantly for a long stretch.

When you get it, just add the lubricant to the gasket and you`re done.

Like blk45 said, the Flex is a quality machine and will do just about any paint correction needed, and do it safely.
    Phil
    2002 Silver Audi S8
    ProperAutoCare

Post Thanks / Like
    Please don`t take this as being contentious, but shouldn`t a quality machine be able to do a boat or an rv without overheating?

It seems that you are saying that the Flex is a quality machine so long as you don`t use it too much.

I`m just trying to be careful how I spend the money, yes there are alot of people who have bought the Flex and sheer volume itself wouuld explain some of the problems that have been reported, apparently some came through with no lube for the needle bearings, the backing fragging is well documented, if for no other reason than that there is a fix for the problem, and a few switches/motor controls have needed replacement-from the reading I have done.

Let me leave it like this, my lowly Porter Cable r/o has done our rv and wifes car back to back with no overheating and I am postive that I could turn on the Cyclo, leave for two weeks and upon coming back find the machine still running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blk45 View Post
    With the exception of this issue, the Flex is a quality machine. It is leaps and bounds better than a PC/UDM,etc. With the KB method, I don`t think there will be anything that you couldn`t correct with a Flex. It`s the best of both worlds, safe because it`s a DA, but yet powerful enough to do serious correction if needed.
    The millon dollar question is what machine do you use for paint correction
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    The millon dollar question is what machine do you use for paint correction
    I use a Makita 9227 rotary.....but you already knew that!

The Flex DA wasn`t established yet when I went to the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems with mine

I keep my backing plate tight and have not experienced any problems. I would oil it if thats what it takes. Hands down the best DA polisher on the market.

Thread Information