Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Steam cleaning engine

Some shops like to steam clean engines before working on them. I guess to get rid of any crud. Ours is always clean, but they still want to clean. I think steam cleaning may be harmfull to some engine parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you feel that way? Besides cleaning the engine with a slightly damp MF towel, I feel steam cleaning is the safest and most effective way of cleaning the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting!

When driving through a big rain storm all of that water is blowing through the engine compartment. So what would be damaged by cleaning the engine with a steam or pressure washer as long as it`s done carefully?

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a pressure washer on an engine really isn`t similar to driving during a rain storm at all. Its pretty easy to ruin electircal components using a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with DetailDan, it depends on whether it`s low pressure steam or high pressure. Everything under the hood is generally designed to be fairly wet and hot. A 2,000psi stream of water, hot or cold is a whole different story.

Honorary Master Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would encourage detailers to cover first certain components before engine cleaning. I you use a steamer that allows me to control the PSI. I only use distilled water in my machine. My steamer came with a ton of different adapters which allows me to work around tight areas. It also has a long wand for longer reach. I use an safe engine degreaser on what I want cleaned. I can always control just about any area. I also have other tools in a smaller version of a pressure washer that works with my air compressor if I need more psi. Make sure to have an air compressor to blow out any sitting water. Pay close attention to all the electrical connectors. You want to make sure there dry. I don`t personally like using pressure washers on engines while the car is in my care at my customers house. Now days a good puddle of water from underneath the engine bay can cause a short or a sensor,or a check engine light. Now in the other hand if the car your working with is at the mechanics and the engine is being work on or the engine is out perhaps working a plan together with the mechanic would be the safest. I do that when the opportunity is there. Some times if I`m working on a certain type of car I call the mechanic I know. I ask him for feed back on the type of engine that I`m going to work with. Send your mechanic a large Pizza once in a while. He will start to like you more and be more helpful in the future or perhaps get you out of a jam if something went wrong with the engine you were detailing. May the steam be with you!

El Presidente
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great answers, Eddie EXCELLENT sugestion on the mechanic and the pizza offering. A little "pizza" goes a long ways to building that relationship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Fiuza View Post
    I would encourage detailers to cover first certain components before engine cleaning. I you use a steamer that allows me to control the PSI. I only use distilled water in my machine. My steamer came with a ton of different adapters which allows me to work around tight areas. It also has a long wand for longer reach. I use an safe engine degreaser on what I want cleaned. I can always control just about any area. I also have other tools in a smaller version of a pressure washer that works with my air compressor if I need more psi. Make sure to have an air compressor to blow out any sitting water. Pay close attention to all the electrical connectors. You want to make sure there dry. I don`t personally like using pressure washers on engines while the car is in my care at my customers house. Now days a good puddle of water from underneath the engine bay can cause a short or a sensor,or a check engine light. Now in the other hand if the car your working with is at the mechanics and the engine is being work on or the engine is out perhaps working a plan together with the mechanic would be the safest. I do that when the opportunity is there. Some times if I`m working on a certain type of car I call the mechanic I know. I ask him for feed back on the type of engine that I`m going to work with. Send your mechanic a large Pizza once in a while. He will start to like you more and be more helpful in the future or perhaps get you out of a jam if something went wrong with the engine you were detailing. May the steam be with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Great answers, Eddie EXCELLENT sugestion on the mechanic and the pizza offering. A little "pizza" goes a long ways to building that relationship.
    +2. Well said.

Honorary Master Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jack! A detailer that ask questions and educate themselves with the help of other skilled detailers is wise in my books. I`m Looking forward to much success with the truth in detailing There are many outstanding detailers today that started by asking questions. Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Fiuza View Post
    Send your mechanic a large Pizza once in a while. He will start to like you more and be more helpful in the future or perhaps get you out of a jam if something went wrong with the engine you were detailing.

Yup, I`d much rather send Pizza to the dealer than a flooded out car $$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Yup, I`d much rather send Pizza to the dealer than a flooded out car $$.
    I totally agree. With all the sensors and wiring on a car nowdays, I would send a pizza and garlic bread.

TOGWT
    You need to cover various parts prior to using any cleaning products, sprays or water.
    These include;
    ?Alternator
    ?Alarm Housing
    ?Intercooler
    ?Battery terminals (if not covered already)
    ?Induction kit cone (if you have one)
    ?Coil packs
    ?Intake opening (Ziplock bag)

This is not an exhaustive list, so use common sense

Tin foil is a better alternative to using cling-film for the alternator, alarm housing etc as it is easier to mold and has greater protection properties. I suggest you use a plastic bag for the induction kit and just wrap it tight over the end to stop any water ingress.

For the intercooler the best way to cover is to get a flat sheet of cardboard and just cut it to size so it fits and covers the fins. Cardboard will normally protect the fins for the duration of the washing. It will get soaked so discard after the wash.

Engine Compartment High Pressure Steam Cleaning / Power Washing:
    Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine water / steam cleaning are unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

The engine compartment is designed to resist water ingress, it is not waterproof / watertight. Rain or water splashed up into the engine is at very low pressure, very different from a pressurised hose or steam
    High-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise. Once steam is applied to a cold metal surface it condenses and becomes water that may be in a place that it cannot be easily removed from.

Modern vehicle engine harness multi-plugs and related sealing measures are not designed for the discharge velocity and force of typical commercial steam cleaning units. Further, cleaning solutions with the high-pressure discharge can leave conductive and often corrosive residues deep within the harness and cables.

Most engines are rarely so encrusted with automotive residues and dirt that normal, low-pressure degreasing methods fail to provide proper, efficient cleaning. High-pressure engine water / steam cleaning are unnecessary and should be restricted to extreme cleaning jobs, such as commercial trucks, off-road vehicles, etc.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth ? detailing articles by TOGWT ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldnt a steam cleaner and a pressure washer give two different results. Steam may be a high pressure but it`s not a direct blast from a hose like a pressure washer. The question was about steam cleaners and it has morphed to pressure washers. Is there a difference that can be clearly determined to each being potentially harmful to the electronic of a motor?
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post

The engine compartment is designed to resist water ingress, it is not waterproof / watertight. Rain or water splashed up into the engine is at very low pressure, very different from a pressurised hose or steam
    High-pressure steam cleaning can force solutions into the engine harness sheath and associated cables, causing unusual problems that would not have occurred otherwise. Once steam is applied to a cold metal surface it condenses and becomes water that may be in a place that it cannot be easily removed from.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth ? detailing articles by TOGWT ?
    - - - - - I agree with this assessment. I have started using a "Foaming" Engine Cleaner, covering with plastic the electrictronic items mentioned in TOGWT`s post above.

Once the foam has had a chance to do it`s work, I agitage with a long-handle brush, then rinse with a GENTLE trickle of water, then dry with an old bath towel, and dress the rubber and plastic with CD2 or Stoner Trim Shine.

A much safer method in my opinion.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Quote Originally Posted by qballjr13 View Post
    Wouldnt a steam cleaner and a pressure washer give two different results. Steam may be a high pressure but it`s not a direct blast from a hose like a pressure washer. The question was about steam cleaners and it has morphed to pressure washers. Is there a difference that can be clearly determined to each being potentially harmful to the electronic of a motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information