Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree, and I would say it`s a matter of preference. Chemicals can only do so much cleaning on say burnt or stained oil in engines. Vapor Steam itself has huge amounts of pressure & heat to break down areas you wouldn`t normally be able to by hand. If you ask me the dangers of either full water blowing & steam are all equitable to danger if you don`t use basic common sense (covering significant electrical/vital areas, etc). As well a proper vapor steamer won`t leave much liquid behind like cheaper lower PSI steamer cleaners would. Warming engines as well helps loosen dirt in the engine compartment.

I would guess that the best way to justify it are the results & your own preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not going crazy on this thread .For one thing dealers are allowed to clean engines anymore due to the EPA laws.As mentioned by most you never when to get water into the engine harness or plug ends which will cause them to corrode ,If the the engine is an overhead Cam engine or an engine where the sparks plugs are in a wheel water will fill up in these wells causing a misfire.99% of the cars that get towed into my shop are from people cleaning there engines.If you get water into the air intake or air filter box you risk hydrolocking the motor which happens also.That`s way you should go slow in a puddle of water not make a wake but keep the engine RPM`s up so the engine doesn`t stall.Most parts like an Alternator can get pretty wet without a problem .Alarms sirens depending if aftermarket or not can get wet factory installed parts have no problem.If something gets wet i use compressed air to blow out and if you get a connector wet you can take it apart dry it and use Di electric grease on the terminals.We can go back and forth on this but bottom line try and avoid any water under the Hood just use a rag and clean it that way.My 2 cents but what do i know only been working on cars for 35 years
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information