Post Thanks / Like

Touch up Paint chip repair

Every year, usually in the spring I think about this issue. I have tried to touch up the few chips with the bottle and a toothpic. I never have had good luck. I may try again this year on a few spots. Does anyone here have a good process?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Touch up Paint chip repair

I am the furthest thing to a person who has even a hint of an idea of knowing what to do, but last year I did some chips too. First time ever attempting to repair them, so was leary cause a chip sometimes looks as bad as a huge blob of paint lookingnout of place. But I gave `er a shot.
    I got a paint stick and dabbed it, not onto the chip, but the lid of a yogurt container. Then took a detailer q-tip, basically a toothpick like you used, and dipped it into the tiny paint drop, then into the chip. Just kept lightly doing it until chip was filled in. I didn`t even bother trying to top with the clearcoat end of the stick, just the paint. Let it dry, then I used my Rupes 75 and some sanding disks for it by them and a maxshine cushion between the sanding disks. Just lightly wet sanded over the chip spot until it smoothed out level with the paint. Then compounded out the haze and polished. Not perfect, but the paint blends in pretty good and sits pretty level where the chip was. Looks way better at least.

I know I didn`t know what I was doing, but there will be people on here with better advise.
    Thanks pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I did use a soda cap to hold the paint for the toothpick. It was very stringy which made it hard to put where I wanted. I have to get a new bottle and hope it`s better. It never was runny like I think it should have been, I did watch a few videos and they were on a white car which may be easier than my red. I know it will not be perfect, the spots are white now on the hood and doors. I did make some sanding sticks from pencil erasers and sandpaper, I have yet to try them.I am thinking of taping off the area to keep it small.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as you, a red car that had white chips. So at least it looks way better now. For me.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had a lot of good repairs using the Langka kit. They aren`t perfect but you have to get your face up to the repairs to even notice them. Best part is if you make a mess, you can roll back to square one. In fact, the hardest part of using Langka is knowing when to stop, otherwise you go get back to square one.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had years of great results from Dr. ColorChip...It comes with the factory paint and another bottle of lacquer thinner that is used after, to get everything smoothed out and flat...

The most important thing that you need to do is to absolutely make sure All the area where the chips are is Clean... Use something like Isopropyl alcohol, on a Q-tip, etc., get all the areas where the paint is going to go really clean, so it will help it adhere to that surface better...

I use an Auto Painter Sword Brush to apply the products, and it is also the best brush for doing anything like this..

When you wet it in the paint, thinner, etc., it makes a perfect sword Point on the end, so it`s much easier to apply the product perfectly into the areas..

Go to an auto paint store and ask for a Sword Brush. It`s really small, on a wooden handle. This is what real Painters use for decades to touch up paint chips, and well, along with lots of years experience...

When done with the Sword Brush, rinse it clean in some thinner, let it dry and it will be ready to go next time you need it.. I have had this same sword brush for decades, and it`s still perfect..

Here a link to what a Sword Brush looks like -- Squirrel Hair Sword Stripers (20) This brush and others are sold all over, even Amazon carries them...

I have never had to go back, sand anything, buff anything, to make it look flat...

Yes, the color may Never be perfectly matched, as the existing paint may have faded a bit, depending on the color, etc., but the chips will all be covered with the factory paint, so they will be way less noticeable...

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember I did look at the Kits and they did not have my color. It`s a Tri-coat color so I know it will not match, but it will be better than white spots. The dealer had it and it`s a single tube. Other paint supply stores have it in two parts, plus clear.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have done Dr color chip. Works but you can only do a couple at a time if you squeegee a ton of chips at once leveling off with solvent is a bear. It a great system if you want also close to level paint as possible without buy touch up paint and putting bit globs of touch up everywhere. Works better on white silver and red. Blue and black are hard because your eye can pick it up easier
    Thanks Stokdgs, pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I did try a spot with the paint I had and it`s much darker than the rest of the area. I have to get more paint.

Post Thanks / Like

This looks really interesting…… scratch happpens.

ScratchesHappen | Premium Touch Up Paint Kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I also use Dr. Colorchip. I use their small squeegee as I`ve found it`s best to apply as little paint as possible as needed to fill in the chip. I don`t have tricolor paint.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information