Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for Rolling Seats/Chairs and Kneeling Pads Used for Detailing

I know for some of us hobbyists who do not have vehicle lifts for working on low-slung sports cars, it can be a literal pain trying to kneel on a floor or driveway while trying to buff out a lower door sill, bottom of fender wheel panel, and the lower front or rear bumper fascia. I am wondering what you Autopians are using for a rolling (caster wheeled)sitting chair/cart or kneeling pad when you do such detailing.

What precipitated this topic question was (past tense emphasized) a kneeling chair sold by the now defunct Top of the Line Detailing Supply, but I do not remember what it was called; something like the Racatac Kneeling Sitting Creeper. If you have and use such a chair/creeper, let me (us) know your experience and thoughts about it.
    I also see there is a Kneel-It V3 Rolling Knee Pad that is similar in design, but I think it is geared toward the construction industry.

If you do enough detailing, having a rolling chair is almost a necessity to save your knees and back. I am at the (old) age where comfort and proper ergonomics need to be considered to save said back and knees. I am sure that many Autopians can relate, regardless of age.

Like any good tool, you get what you pay for, and hence, my question.

Helpful hint: For higher profile vehicles like larger SUVs and trucks, I sit on my platform step ladder that I use to stand on to access the roof when washing for buffing out lower panels. Just make sure to wipe off/clean the rails you stand on because they can get dirty when you stand on them with mud and debris form the washing. Definitely saves on the back for me!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Rolling Seats/Chairs and Kneeling Pads Used for Detailing

I have the Griot`s creeper 2. The seat pops off and turns into a mini creeper which is great for getting lower. I can`t say I`ve kneeled on it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you want the best of the best and don`t care about $$$, check out Vyper. Ouch on the price though.

Post Thanks / Like

Racatac. Oops, not that I`m recommending that, it`s just that`s how you spell it.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i have an old office chair

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at the Vyper chairs...but like Rabbit said, a bit pricey! Want one bad though!

I also have a racatac and a detailing chair (forget where I got it)
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to take this the other way. If you`ve always wanted a lift, find a way to get a lift. Ever since working at a dealership in my college days I wanted one. For a long time I talked myself out of it.

Right before the pandemic lockdown I started researching low rise options and never found a good fit for the vehicles I had. Finally during the lockdown I got the time to figure out a way to squeeze in a full 4 post lift into my tiny 2 car. It`s been a total game changer.

I know everyone can`t find a way to make it happen but a lot of us are bled dry buying every flavor of the week, countless polishers, piles of pads and other stupid gimmick crap. Set a goal, pinch some pennies, make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like

One could even look into the small easy lifts like a QuickJack. If they have a small garage or limited space these are handy and portable options. I think Coctco sells them even, so a decent price.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a QuickJack and it`s a back saver! Very useful for wheels off/getting the panels right into your `work space` in front of your eyes and even doing maintenance/etc on vehicles.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife just got me the Griots one posted above.
    It seems great!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight has a similar seat.

Post Thanks / Like

While lifts are a nice "tool" for working on vehicles, they are more of a luxury (AKA dream) item for me. Not to say they are not "necessary", just a little financially "unrealistic" for me for as much as I would use it, hence my request for suggestions for a rolling chair. That`s all...
    Not dissing anyone who has made the suggestion for a lift; I just have some personal detailing budget fiscal "constraints" and priorities I need to adhere to; a rolling chair being one of them.

Guess I could add a Paint Thickness Gauge to that list. Then there`s the Steam Cleaner. Oh, and don`t forget the Carpet Extractor. And the new cordless buffer. AND a small mini buffer. Then there`s their associated pads in different foam types and diameter sizes. And what about that Electric Pressure Washer. Did I forget the Sangrip LED lights? Hummmmmm....
    (Captain Obvious, MAYBE you were on Santa`s "Naughty List" and that`s why you did not get those things this year!.. NOOOOO, more like a federal government that messed up everyone`s investments and the economy. Makes me wonder which one is real and which one is not!!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lift and it cost me $1000 to replace the hoses which had dry rotted with age

Do consider the cost of maintenance when shopping for a lift

When I move I`m going to cringe at the thought of the cost and hassle of moving the lift with me let alone reinstalling it in a new house.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for Rolling Seats/Chairs and Kneeling Pads Used for Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I have a lift and it cost me $1000 to replace the hoses which had dry rotted with age

Do consider the cost of maintenance when shopping for a lift

When I move I`m going to cringe at the thought of the cost and hassle of moving the lift with me let alone reinstalling it in a new house.
    I just moved mine this summer. Called a tow truck and got it moved for $250.IMG_8019.jpg
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to have to keep that in mine because I was quoted at least double that
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information