Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UGH!!!! Rust

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UGH!!!! Rust

After doing a bit of research, I think I`m going to go with https://THIS STUFF
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I got under my Trans Am today. No real rust other than a couple dots here and there. I used Locktite Rust Neutralizer. When put on a the painted undercarriage paint, it added just a bit of gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I got under my Trans Am today. No real rust other than a couple dots here and there. I used Locktite Rust Neutralizer. When put on a the painted undercarriage paint, it added just a bit of gloss.
    I just sprayed the area with some OSPHO to at least slow it down some until I can fix it properly in a few months.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    After doing a bit of research, I think I`m going to go with https://THIS STUFF
    As you can imagine, I think you`ll be happy with that choice Watch that you only pour out as much RustSeal as you`ll actually use at the time, as it can go bad fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    As you can imagine, I think you`ll be happy with that choice Watch that you only pour out as much RustSeal as you`ll actually use at the time, as it can go bad fast.
    Accumulator, wasn`t there a rust prevention product you really liked called Eastwood or something like that? I think you liked it far more than Rustoleum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Accumulator, wasn`t there a rust prevention product you really liked called Eastwood or something like that? I think you liked it far more than Rustoleum.
    Good memory They have three lines that`ve worked well for me, and some newer versions of the one that`ll presumably be even better.

Quick recap:

-Black Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust. This is their "black undercoating/rust-inhibiting"-type product. Available in aerosol (not too messy either) and bulk (for those with undercoating guns). It dries quite "dry", almost like paint (and I mean like 95%). So dry that you can hit it with a SprayWax to maintain a little sheen, it`s basically like a semi-gloss product. I did the surface-rusty undercarriage of a Blazer and it held up remarkably well, blew me away how it exceeded my expectations.

-Rust Encapsulator. This is their "paint-over-rust" product, which is also a good primer IME, and there are several versions. I`ve only used the "standard" version, and it was fine *BUT* note that I did good prep whenever I used it. IF really "painting over rust" with less intensive prep, I`d lean towards their other/newer/?better? versions. Unlike most POR-type products, this one is UV-stable. The version I`ve used dries "OEM semi-gloss".

-Internal Frame Coating. This is almost like a hybrid combo of the two above. It can be used for more than just the inside of framerails and is good for situations where you can`t do any prep. Check their website for more info, this stuff can be pretty versatile.

I still like stuff from ValuGard, KBS Coatings, and RustBullet too, but IMO the above Eastwood products are well worth looking into.

EDIT: Just FWIW, the "impossible to fix" (scare-quotes intentional!) rust in the lower seam of the Tahoe`s driver`s-side rear barn door (where they all seem to rust out) has stayed fixed for many years now, despite annual exposures to a *LOT* of roadsalt (that gets inside the door). Yeah, I caught it before it got too bad, and yeah my first attempt didn`t stay fixed, and yeah I spent a *TON* of time on it, but I`m quite confident that I have truly solved the problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information