Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer ?

I used the AMMO NYC FROTHe with the salt remover the other day. I had a light to medium salt film on the car. I used Larry’s hand-pump foamer and followed up with Hydrate. I have to admit, it worked just like in his demo video. No streaks or any issues in 30 degree weather. I’ll definitely continue using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    No, 303® Salt Neutralizing Wash Boost does not remove wax.
    Ah, OK, thanks for posting that.
    Likes MisterSnoop liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So the salty water just dripped onto your garage floor? What do you do, just hose it out in the spring?
    Setec Astronomy:
    This is what I do in the winter when temperatures are below freezing (AKA 32°F) to "wash" de-cing salt that has dripped off of a vehicle (or vehicles) parked in garage off of the garage floor. First, after driving out any parked vehicles from the garage, I shovel out any slush and ice chunks that may have fallen from the wheel wells or lower door sill rockers. (Yes, how many Autopians have kicked that accumulated slush or ice from behind each wheel with your shoe or boot when you get out of a vehicle when it has been driven in the snow! However, I usually try to do this BEFORE I drive the vehicle into the garage, but not always.) I take light, fluffy DRY snow nearby the garage in a snow shovel and then spread it out on the garage floor over the salt and dirt, which acts like a sweeping compound and soaks up the salt and dirt. I then take a push-type snow shovel and push out the excess now-dirtied snow through the opened vehicle-access garage door (or doors, if your garage is so built). Next, using a large push broom, I brush out the remaining dirtied snow debris to finish "washing" the floor. I may repeat the snow application and broom brushing if the floor still looks dirty and wet. Works OK until warmer weather sets in when you can actually wash the floor with soap and water to remove the salt.
    When warmer weather does set in in Wisconsin (which has been at least one day every other week during this unusual winter!), I use a special cleaning tool called a Sh-Mop by ComSen Tech, Inc., which has a large, 15" x 8" rectangular swiveled head on a pole that a removable elastic cotton towel stretched over the head to mop out my garage floors in warmer weather. I use this with 8 ounces of degreaser soap (Jungle Jake`s Concentrated Degreaser by Stearns Packaging Corp.) and 2-gallons of water in a 5-gallon bucket. When the removable cotton towel gets dirty after a few swipes on the floor, it is removed and cleaned in the bucket, rung out, placed back on the large head, and mopped again. This may need to be done several times depending how dirty the garage floor is and the soap and water in the bucket changed out as needed as well. Works very well to cover a large area in very short time.
    I know those of you with pressure washers will use that tool or spray it out with a garden hose nozzle and squeegee, and, yes, I will admit it is a (much?) better way to clean out the salt on the floor, but with the Sh-Mop I do not have to remove items in the garage and worry about excess water spray getting on them or the walls.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard of Salt Away?

I dilute it and spray my vehicle with a pump up sprayer and then head to the quarter car wash which is conveniently located at the end of my street. It helps the salt to rinse off the vehicle. Drive back to my heated garage and then do a rinseless wash.

When temps permit here in Michigan I use the adapter from Salt Away and hook it up to my pressure washer. I use my under the car attachment hooked to the pressure washer and I can blast the Salt Away directly on the underside of my vehicle. I switch to rinse and then rinse it off. Pull into the garage where it`s warmer and do a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they`re using actual *salt* in the areas where people are finding the "salt-removers" so helpful. Maybe it`s something more tenacious, like magnesium chloride or somesuch. I can`t get over how it`s simply *not a challenge* for Yours Truly and I`m wondering why. I mean, gee....it simply rinses/washes off, easy as can be. No residue, no rust-out, no problem. And it`s not like we don`t travel by car in winter weather (Pandemic not withstanding that is). OK, I`ll just shut up and count my blessings, but I do find it odd.

Post Thanks / Like

The striping of the roads here with mag chloride solution is routine before a storm now.

EDIT: I guess I`m not 100% sure that it`s mag chloride, it`s referred to as "brine". The advantage to that is they can do it several days before the storm to cut down on overtime, as it dries on the pavement. And since it`s there before the first snow, it`s supposed to make plowing easier by preventing the snow from adhering to the pavement. I do see that in some areas of NJ they are using mag chloride-treated rock (sodium chloride) salt, that also may have an "OBPE" (Organic-based Performance Enhancer), although I see that usually has blue dye, so I can`t say that I`ve seen that where I am, but all of this may contribute to the non-solubility of the salt residue that I have witnessed, although some of it may also be just road film. This year hasn`t been too bad, the rain has done a pretty good job of washing the salt off, but we haven`t had a bad winter.

Post Thanks / Like

We`ve had so much ice this year that I`m not begrudging such stuff.

They use "brine" here too, but fortunately for me that stuff rinses right off too. We had a hard rain the other day (before it turned to sleet-then-snow) and that got the Tahoe back to looking perfectly OK for the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash, scrub, use some "salt" remover from the paint---not going to stop the real corrosion damage of rust perforation--because doing such does little to nothing to remove the corrosives that are inside of the painted panels, Yeah, washing the paint nice and clean may make you fell all warm and fuzzy, but that`s about all.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking about trying descale at the end of the winter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike View Post
    Have you heard of Salt Away?

I dilute it and spray my vehicle with a pump up sprayer and then head to the quarter car wash which is conveniently located at the end of my street. It helps the salt to rinse off the vehicle. Drive back to my heated garage and then do a rinseless wash.

When temps permit here in Michigan I use the adapter from Salt Away and hook it up to my pressure washer. I use my under the car attachment hooked to the pressure washer and I can blast the Salt Away directly on the underside of my vehicle. I switch to rinse and then rinse it off. Pull into the garage where it`s warmer and do a rinseless wash.
    Bringing this back up.
    Found out about this product today, it looks interesting, at least a jab at the salt battle on the car. I was close to buying some, just wondering which, if any, Bilt Hamber product is similar?? They have a couple corrosion related ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, like Silly Rabbit from a year ago, I too, am resurrecting this particular thread topic on Salt Neutralizers.
    I am just curious if anyone is using them and which ones are you using and how are you using them.

It`s just kinda hard for myself to use and apply them in sub-freezing weather (AKA below 32°F) but with the predicted El Nino winter weather we are suppose to experience here in the Upper Midwest, it may be warm enough to do some outdoor car washes. I did that last winter (December 2022 through February 2023) and was able to wash a vehicle at least every-other week throughout the winter months, something I have NEVER been able to do before. So hence my resurrection of this thread topic on salt neutralizers.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Valugard.net has full info regarding salt and mag cloride issues.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

In NE Ohio and for past 10+ years have simply used ONR. Have not found a need to add any specific `anti salt` products.

I spray a slightly more concentrated solution as a `pre-soak`, then have several microfiber rags and two mitts soaking in a 5 gallon bucket filled with a couple gallons of warm water and ONR. Have not had any issues. No scratches: do have Xpel and use Hyperseal/optiseal as drying aid.

My garage is unheated and detached, but find engine block heat and a portable heater to keep temp in upper 30`s is all that is necessary. Last year splurged on a propane bullet heater to warm garage to about 50 for my own benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMDG75 View Post
    In NE Ohio and for past 10+ years have simply used ONR. Have not found a need to add any specific `anti salt` products.

I spray a slightly more concentrated solution as a `pre-soak`, then have several microfiber rags and two mitts soaking in a 5 gallon bucket filled with a couple gallons of warm water and ONR. Have not had any issues. No scratches: do have Xpel and use Hyperseal/optiseal as drying aid.

My garage is unheated and detached, but find engine block heat and a portable heater to keep temp in upper 30`s is all that is necessary. Last year splurged on a propane bullet heater to warm garage to about 50 for my own benefit.
    Paint is the easy part. It`s the underside of the car that I worry about.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For what it is worth (I hate/despise acronyms, especially when no one is willing to update the Autopia Forum "Decoder Ring" list of such abbreviations.. but I digress), here is a link to Autopian All-Star togwt`s post on cleaning the undercarriage of road salt:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/autop...inter-salt.htm
    Interesting that he highly recommends using ValuGards VG-502, Unfortunately , it is available in 5 gallon pails only now, according to the ValuGard International website.
    GB detailer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information