Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Salt Remover / Neutralizer ?

Noting that I only do our vehicles, but also that I`m in Ohio and drive older vehicles year-round (including the OBS Tahoe and the `93 Audi, which the original owner *only* used in the winter), without rust issues (exception: the MPV that rusted out where they all do, not salt-related) just FWIW:

I keep hearing how "they use Magnesium Chloride these days, and it won`t wash off!", but no problems like that yet. The roadsalt simply washes off. Period. No problem. Maybe I`ve just been lucky (for over 45 years ), but so far, so good. I even do the undercarriages with a regular shampoo mix at my foamgun-use dilution of ~7oz. shampoo + enough water to make a gallon.

(Note that is is where Ketch undoubtedly rolls his eyes and thinks I oughta use the ValuGard stuff...and I can`t argue with that!)

For fabrics and leathers, yeah...vinegar if you don`t mind the smell, something like the SprayWay if that`s a problem. Using *hot* water on the mats helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator:
    I assume that "OBS Tahoe" means Old Body Style Tahoe. Yes, I has to Google that acronym.

WHICH reminds me and now off topic: Has anyone tried to update the "Decoder Ring" of Autopia Forum acronym list recently?
    There has got to be a slew of new additions. (Sounds like a job for you, Captain Obvious, especially since you made the wish to keep this forum going! Just sayin`....)
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Accumulator:
    I assume that "OBS Tahoe" means Old Body Style Tahoe. Yes, I has to Google that acronym...
    Right you are It`s registered as a 2000, but for practical purposes it`s a `96-99, the GMT400 series with all the, uhm...deficiencies that drive some people nuts. My other SUVs were indeed much better, but I just didn`t like `em nearly as well, so guess which ones I sold and which one I kept

It even has the rear "barn doors" that always rust out, especially on the left side...though I caught it early enough on mine for the DIY repair "that never lasts" (scare-quotes intentional ) to work just fine (over a decade since I did it, yeah..OK OK..the second time....and no recurrence).

I never even dealt with all the to-the-metal paint chips, lots of exposed e-coat, but no problems from that stuff either. Must be decent steel or something...

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one it’s decent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

As a vehicle ages, the "seams" which have a coating of e-coat during assembly, before painting, was "inside all cavaties"Live in the rust belt states or such and in 3 years or more, the perforation t, covering over "spot welds, hem flanges" etc and these will develop very small cracks, exposing bare metal, The salt/mag cloride/brine will enter and over a short time, when humidity is over 35%, during all seasons, will start corroding, The corrosion then "crawls" under the paint film, eating away the metal, The resulting rusting from the inside as it eats its way to the outside panels is termed "perforation", All the washing, LSP`s, etc will not protect from this serious damage Stop such requires thar rhes inside cavaties must not be exposed to oxygen, moisture or corrosive materials,The product to keeps this from happening is a micro wax based product that must be fogged into ALL inner panels, Many believe their vehicle`s warranty covers this, however when reading the warranty they will observe the corrosion warranty is for "manufacturung defects" and NOT envioromental corrosion ! After market rust proofing that requires yearly or such inspection and reapplication are not effective, which is why they are not approved or meet SAE/ASTM/Military, specifications, Just a bit of real information for you,

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have wondered WHY no major car-care company has developed and sells a salt-neutralizing soap, but then the logic of doing so is self-apparent (AKA obvious to Captain Obvious!). What vehicle owner washes their vehicles at home outside in the winter where de-icing salts and chemicals are used on roads? It`s too cold to do so, so hence, there is no market for doing so, or at least it`s a limited market for OCD Autopians, like myself. who are just crazy enough to want to wash their salt-encrusted vehicle in the rare above-freezing days in the winter. (By the way, this has been THE most unusual winter weather in Wisconsin I have ever seen in my lifetime. We go from above freezing high temps to sub-zero temps on what seems to be a 10-day cycle, with at least two of those days being above freezing. Good for washing vehicles outside on the more-than-frequent "warm" days.)

I also think that salt-in-the-air is a problem for vehicles kept and driven near the salt water of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and Gulf of Mexico coasts, but again, it`s a limited market. Maybe regular car soaps used for owner-done vehicle washes will take care of that; I don`t know because I do not live in that salt-water environment.

Anyway, this is a great thread discussion. Wonder if tunnel/automated car-washes in areas that use de-icing salts have "special" wash soaps specifically for neutralizing that road salt designed for such car washes. I do know that cleaning of beet-juice de-icing binder used by many municipalities plowing and de-icing road departments on roads where snow falls is a REAL problem to remove in such touchless washes. This Road Traffic Film (RTF) is near impossible to remove chemically with specialized cleaners or at least those chemicals needed for such cleaning are not "legal" (AKA environmentally safe per federal EPA legislation) for use in the Untied States.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I have wondered WHY no major car-care company has developed and sells a salt-neutralizing soap, but then the logic of doing so is self-apparent (AKA obvious to Captain Obvious!). What vehicle owner washes their vehicles at home outside in the winter where de-icing salts and chemicals are used on roads? It`s too cold to do so, so hence, there is no market for doing so, or at least it`s a limited market for OCD Autopians, like myself. who are just crazy enough to want to wash their salt-encrusted vehicle in the rare above-freezing days in the winter. (By the way, this has been THE most unusual winter weather in Wisconsin I have ever seen in my lifetime. We go from above freezing high temps to sub-zero temps on what seems to be a 10-day cycle, with at least two of those days being above freezing. Good for washing vehicles outside on the more-than-frequent "warm" days.)

I also think that salt-in-the-air is a problem for vehicles kept and driven near the salt water of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and Gulf of Mexico coasts, but again, it`s a limited market. Maybe regular car soaps used for owner-done vehicle washes will take care of that; I don`t know because I do not live in that salt-water environment.

Anyway, this is a great thread discussion. Wonder if tunnel/automated car-washes in areas that use de-icing salts have "special" wash soaps specifically for neutralizing that road salt designed for such car washes. I do know that cleaning of beet-juice de-icing binder used by many municipalities plowing and de-icing road departments on roads where snow falls is a REAL problem to remove in such touchless washes. This Road Traffic Film (RTF) is near impossible to remove chemically with specialized cleaners or at least those chemicals needed for such cleaning are not "legal" (AKA environmentally safe per federal EPA legislation) for use in the Untied States.
    Ammo makes an anti salt and winter washing additive (Boost) and also an anti salt version of Frothe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And there`s the aforementioned 303 product

303(R) Salt Neutralizing Wash Boost - Gold Eagle

Post Thanks / Like

I figured I would come back to this as I did a test over last weekend using an Optimum ONR/MDR mix in a pressure sprayer as a pre-treat after rinsing the car first. (1oz ONR + 2oz MDR / 1 Gal Hot Water)

I did go to the Pay & Spray and spent $2+ per vehicle to just rinse them off and remove as much loose stuff as possible.

Once I came back I put the vehicle in the garage and closed the door running a heater. (It was sub 20* outside)

I mixed up my regular ONR wash at a little over regulars strength using hot water.

I mixed the pre-treat in my Kwazar Compression Sprayer using hot water as well.

I would spray a section and let it sit for a minute or two and then do my regular ONR wash.

I would do a second pass if needed and everything appeared to come clean and I didn`t notice any residue issues.

Post Thanks / Like

So the salty water just dripped onto your garage floor? What do you do, just hose it out in the spring?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So the salty water just dripped onto your garage floor? What do you do, just hose it out in the spring?

I have drains in my floor. After washing I took a hose and rinsed the floor down and swept it with a broom to remove the dirt / crud that ended up on the floor.

It`s a regular/small 2-Car garage that I could technically use the hose and do a 2-bucket wash.

But in the winter I don`t always like to do that since I could have the floor freeze if I`m not careful. Doing rinse-less then a single hose down and sweep keep me safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I ask because I realized like a week ago that I probably could have reduced the salt damage to my concrete all these years by hosing out every spring the salt/dirt that comes in on the undercarriage of the car during the winter. Sometimes I`m a little slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Are any of the "Salt Neutralizers" LSP-friendly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Are any of the "Salt Neutralizers" LSP-friendly?
    From 303`s FAQ:
    Does 303® Salt Neutralizing Wash Boost remove wax?

No, 303® Salt Neutralizing Wash Boost does not remove wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is only decent don’t think it’s lsp rated. I would not buy a salt remover again think they are more for the boating crowd in salt water when they are removing dried salt water spot. Not what we here intend to use them as where there dirt and junk and all sorts on the paint.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information