Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

If you had 1 to choose.....??

So mostly posting out of cause just bored a bit, but also to stir activity on the Autopia forums.
    So knowing what you all do about the crazy vast detailing world, as a `whole`, TODAY, if you had to choose ONE brand for all your products what would you choose and why?? That is the deep-in-your-soul question.

If I had to, I would have to say Meguiar`s. Because it was the brand that really drew me into detailing products, when all my buddies and I joked about our products being best I had Megs. And looking at their catalogues they pretty much have you covered for almost any product need or task.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you had 1 to choose.....??

We`ve had many posts about this.

Meguiars - IMO its one of FEW true full line manufactures.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s is also one of the few that can manufacture in-house I believe (3M?)
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was kinda wondering about that, with 3M and Meguiar`s under the same roof, is there any product sharing, as in, the same stuff in different bottle brands? I mean for example, an iron remover is basically going to be fairly the same across the board, so I wonder if they are overlapping many of the `in house` products?

Post Thanks / Like

Choose 1?

Here’s my thoughts for this imaginary scenario:

Griots: I love their polishes. I`d also be okay with being stuck with most of their interior offerings. I don`t have a ton of experience with their LSP`s. Think their rinseless/waterless are pretty good. You’re probably going to have to choose them just to get access to polishing machines and polishing pads. I think maybe only Meguiars has polishers and pads that also sell a full range of other products.

Duragloss: Hard to beat just about everything that they have, but I don`t know that they have what we would call polishes/compounds, and they dont have a paste wax… bummer. This might be a really good choice if you weren’t doing paint correction.

PBMG/Wolfgang/Pinnacle/DP/Blackfire: any of these would probably be a pretty good choice. They have awesome LSP`s, rinseless, interior, etc. Polishes are probably pretty good too.

Optimum: Intriguing. While I don`t love ONR, I think they have solid offerings across the board that could accomplish just about whatever you need to do.

P&S: What I`ve used of theirs has been pretty good. I think top to bottom, they have a pretty complete line. Maybe not the best in each category, but some pretty strong offerings.

Ultima- Sneaky contender. We dont hear much about their paint correction offerings or traditional sealant etc. A hobbyist could go really far with their products.

Sonus- See Ultima.

Poorboys World- Intriguing- they don`t get much attention any more, but they have amazing products top to bottom. Their polishes have probably been surpassed in the last ~10 years, but its not like they work worse than they used to. Their products just work.

Meguiars- they tend to cater to mass markets, either on the production side, or the consumer side. Neither of which I fit into, so I don’t really follow them like I used to. But no mistake, they obviously have a tremendously complete line with great products. You could also get a Meguiars polisher and pads, so that might be important in this scenario.

3D- Similar to all the PBMG brands, I think. Really complete line. Pretty much everything is good. Think you can get 3D polishing pads, so that might be a plus in this scenario

McKees 37- See PBMG

Koch Chemie- Never used their products, seems like a complete line. Gets good reviews.
    Likes Silly Rabbit, dgage liked this post
    Thanks dgage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Solid post Craigdt!

I was thinking Meguiar’s, Griot’s and Duragloss with my nod going to Meguiars if only one brand. I’ve used polishes and pads from Griot’s and Meguiar’s so I could live with either one but I’ve used more Meguiar’s products so they get my nod.

Blackfire, Pinnacle, Wolfgang could be up there if considered one brand but they don’t have the (economical) polishes or any pads to be a complete brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    Choose 1?

Meguiars- they tend to cater to mass markets, either on the production side, or the consumer side. Neither of which I fit into, so I don’t really follow them like I used to. But no mistake, they obviously have a tremendously complete line with great products. You could also get a Meguiars polisher and pads, so that might be important in this scenario.
    What category do you fall into exactly? lol. I think the Detailer line is probably PERFECT for anyone inbetween consumer (doing their own 2 cars) and "production" (doing 20 cars a day) BUT so do plenty of the consumer products work perfectly for someone in that range AND the proffessional line lol, Im really confused on why you think Meguiars doesnt "fit" you.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    What category do you fall into exactly? lol. I think the Detailer line is probably PERFECT for anyone inbetween consumer (doing their own 2 cars) and "production" (doing 20 cars a day) BUT so do plenty of the consumer products work perfectly for someone in that range AND the proffessional line lol, Im really confused on why you think Meguiars doesnt "fit" you.

Hey Don, not to go off topic, see you have an `89 Formula 350. Hats off sir!! Fellow Pontiac `Bird lover here!!
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Ollever, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be Griot`s for me. Most everything I`ve tried has been solid but for some products there are more economical options like P&S xpress vs their interior cleaner.
    Likes Silly Rabbit, CleanIt, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum
    Likes Silly Rabbit, CleanIt, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Silly Rabbit:
    This very question has been asked more-than-once over the duration of this forum.

For myself, the ONE product manufacturer (that IS this thread topic title!) I would choose is Meguiar`s just because of:
    1) Overall product line-up for a wide variety of detailing-related task (particularly their Detailer Professional Line and Mirror Glaze Pro Line);
    2) Value-pricing of their products
    3) Consistent results for the effort put forth in using them
    4) Availability almost everywhere, OTC or on-line
    5) Familiarity with the product line
    6) Customer Service help using their products or suggestions for which product(s) to use for a specific detailing task problem

That said, there a a host of newer detailing product manufacturer`s who I think compete with Meg`s.
    Optimum Polymer Technologies, 3D, Poorboy`s World, McKee`s 37, Adam`s Polishes, Griot`s Garage, P&S Detailing Products, CarPro, and even the much-maligned Chemical Guy`s ALL offer "expanded" products for a variety of detailing tasks. Add European manufacturer`s like Sonax, Sonus, Wurths, AutoGlym, and Koch-Chemie all competing for the detailing product buying market.

I have a feeling more Autopians are using McKee`s 37, Griots Garage, and CarPro products these days. Just a hunch...

One detailing product manufacturer that is not often mentioned is ValuGuard (Automotive International) and for good reason; they cater to bulk or mass detailing operations like new car dealerships or used-car lots. Ask Autopian All-Star Ron Ketcham about them.
    GB detailer
    Likes Silly Rabbit, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, with the quiet traffic on the site and being a bit bored, figured I`dd throw out the question, just for conversation. And because with the way the industry moves at lightning speed, maybe people have jumped brand camps from what they used to be.
    I know Megs is my `home`, but the last year and a bit I have added products from quite a few different brands, something I would have never even dared - megs through and through. So just got me thinking, with other great brands in the cabinet now, would I still stay Megs if I had to pick 1 brand? What about others `current` choices?
    Like I said, forum is quiet, just stirring up activity during miserable winter days.
    Likes CleanIt, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Hey Don, not to go off topic, see you have an `89 Formula 350. Hats off sir!! Fellow Pontiac `Bird lover here!!
    Awesome man!!! I am such a huge Pontiac fan. I even gave the bug to my daughter. Id love to see your bird if you have one.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Awesome man!!! I am such a huge Pontiac fan. I even gave the bug to my daughter. Id love to see your bird if you have one.
    Apologies for taking things further off-topic, but let me tell you guys a story that I`m sure I have told here before over the years. It`s fall of `81 (I guess), and my friend and I are out on a shopping strip highway, we`re pulling out of some store lot onto the road and this Ferrari-red exotic-looking car goes by in traffic. I tell my friend to make his way through the traffic so we can catch up to this exotic car that we`ve never seen before, that must be a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Maserati. We catch up as it`s turning into...the GM Tech Center (local training center for GM mechanics). We follow it in and drive by as it`s parking and it says "Firebird" on the back...our first look at an `82 Firebird.
    Likes dgage, Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tldr

If I had to choose one , I would choose Jessica Alba in her prime
    Likes Len_nA, Silly Rabbit, Coatings=crack liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information