Post Thanks / Like

An open letter to my Dad

An open letter to my Dad
    We lost my Dad Monday, December 6th after a short illness (NOT COVID). But he had been fighting Parkinson`s Disease for almost 20 years, which left him all but unable to do his favorite things, except for the short periods when he was "good," and could move around. He tinkered with his 1979 Corvette endlessly (so much so we are having it sent to a shop to "undo" all his tinkering LOL) so it can be driven and enjoyed by me, my brother and the grandkids. So "dad`s" Corvette is going to be staying in the family.

I`m attaching the last two pics of me and dad, taken right before the Parkinson`s (which he was already fighting) came down like an anvil and curtailed the majority of his physical activities. These pics were taken after I had a screaming gut NEED to do a pic of Dad & his vette and me & my Camaro. It was also taken in the winter...minutes after my wife took the pics, and dad put the vette away, we had a blizzard which would have prevented the pics from ever being taken.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Dad,

I`ve been trying for the last few hours to write down the things that have been going through my mind the last few days. Thoughts and memories of growing up. Things we did together, just you and me, things you taught me and things I learned and picked up from you, the effect you had on how I turned out as a man and a father, but there is just too much to write down. I was always very proud of having you as my dad, so much so, that I followed in your footsteps and became a police officer. Now I understand better about you, maybe not exactly how you felt, but with a better understanding of what it`s like to be a young man with a wife and small children and having a career that consumes you more and more. Now, having walked a similar path and being close to the retirement end of my career, I have even more respect for you. When things come up, I start to find myself asking "How did Dad get through this?" Or, "How would Dad handle this?" Unfortunately, talking wasn`t a strong point for either of us, so we never had any of those deep conversations that may have given me some insight as to what I should do. Maybe we could have used a bit more of Grandpa Wally in us, who wasn`t afraid to give an opinion, or talk about anything.

There is so much more that I want to say, but it all boils down to this, I love you Dad, always have and always will.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs, Dan, Fishing, dgage, Coatings=crack and 6 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, GearHead_1, FunctionalDoc thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An open letter to my Dad

Beautiful words Don! I am very sorry for your loss, but am glad your father is no longer suffering and is at peace. I miss my father every day, but that brings me happiness because it reminds me of how much he meant to me. Cherish the moments you had, as from reading your words, you have already started that process. May those memories put a smile on your face.
    Thanks Don, John U thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

IM so sorry for your loss.
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Don and Family,
    I am so sorry for your loss.. Have said a prayer of Faith that you and yours, and all of the families will be comforted.
    These things take time, there are a lot of tears as we remember all the wonderful things we did with our Parents..

My Dad died 6 years before my dear Mother passed. My Dad`s was a surprise call at 0400hrs and I was 3000 miles away; my dear Mother, I was living with her for her last months of life..

I love the story about your Father, Don. He was and is a great man. Look how good you turned out !

All of our departed loved ones` spirits go to the place where all spirits go and are very well there.. Their personalities, their very beings, everything, is exactly the same.. There are no sicknesses, etc., that come from our earthly bodies there, because we leave them on this earth.

The incredible reunions with all of our departed loved ones - all the way back to Adam and Eve, is taking place, and wow, how glorious that must be !
    Our departed loved ones remember Everything about us here on this earth, and pray a lot for our well being..

Sometimes, we may have a little visit from them...One morning very early, years after my dear Father passed, I was awake, still in bed, thinking like we do, when we first wake up.. Then I heard my Father`s voice - he said "Danny", just like he said to me all my life... I heard him, there was no mistake... This brought me such comfort..

When my dear Mother passed, and now they were both gone, that was really hard.. Bring lots of boxes of Kleenex.. You will use All of them..

But this is ok, Don ! The Scriptures say that "we should live together in love so much, that we will weep for them that die" It is a needful part of Life..
    We come here as spirit children, we get physical bodies, they eventually wear out, and then our spirits start on the way back to where we came from..

One day, our broken, tired bodies will all be resurrected, and in perfection.. We might all be 25 again !!!
    All of our families will be reunited forever.. Eternally..

God Bless you and your family, Don, and all the rest of your families.

Love you guys,
    Dan F
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Newer guy here so don`t know you guys like you all know each other, but will comment anyway.
    My condolences to you and your family sir. As we get older the realities of family and friends loss starts to become something we face. As a kid and adult we just don`t think about it, parents are just always there for us. But as we go on in years the thoughts start of... life.... make me cringe. I want my dad to live forever the thought of him not living like the machine he is, always there for me, past 100 tears me up.
    So my heart goes out to you, truely, for you and your dad.

And to those also posting, opening up about their loss, my heart goes out to you as well. I can only imagine the pain in you stomachs and holes in your hearts, cause like I said, I feel pain at just the `thoughts` of the inevitables of life.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

Man tugs at the heart strings. Lost my pops 2010 and missed him ever since. Looks like we got our love for automobiles from our fathers.

It’s a tough loss and it does get easier to focus on the good things.

If you believe in heaven (I do) then I hope there both up there chirpin donuts and laying rubber….. having a whiskey and enjoying themselves.

Blessings to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for your loss, thoughts out to you, your family, and friends...Glad you had those pics taken as they are awesome, and you will always remember that day!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry for your loss.

Post Thanks / Like

My niece (Tricia Mollohan) works at Dairy Queen and decorated this cake by herself for the memorial dinner after Dad`s service last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs, screamng, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Sorry for the loss of your father. I now see a small part of why you are as you are, car and detailing-wise.
    We are all products of our parents and the influence that they have on, in, and with our personal life and character development.

Thank you for your candor in sharing your father`s battle with Parkinson`s Disease. It is most difficult and heart-wrenching as a son or daughter watching a much-loved parent degrade and decline over the years from what they once were and what you remember that person was like not that long ago, or at least it seemed not that long ago as we become older ourselves. Death can be a bitter-sweet emotion for us because we morn for his loss of that life as we knew it, but also your Dad no longer suffers from his Parkinson`s Disease any more nor do you have to see him go through its insidious effects on him.

The best tribute to your Dad is written on the cake made by your niece: "A life that touches others goes on forever." May that positive truism be said of all of us!!

Respectfully,
    Lonnie (AKA Captain Obvious)
    GB detailer
    Likes screamng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don, Sorry for your loss. The hardest part is wanting to pickup the phone and call your dad with good news in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

First of all, sorry for your loss. Parkinsons did not win....it died when your fathers earthly body did. His spirit lives for eternity, free of any infirmity. I did not have a close relationship with my own father, but I did with my father in law, who treated me more like a son, than a son in law. We just passed the 10-year anniversary of his passing (12/12/2011), and he is missed every day. I tried my best to convey to my daughters how fortunate they were to have had him as a Grandpop, even though they felt anything but fortunate. You are fortunate as well....even though you may not feel that way. Your dad had such a positive influence on you and helped you become the man you are, despite the fact that you may not have had those `deep` talks with him.

It takes a lot to open up the way you just did on this forum. It speaks volumes about how you really felt about your dad, so much so that you had the courage to say so. I wish you and your family peace and comfort during this difficult time.
    Likes GearHead_1, RPPM liked this post

Thread Information