Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: License plate covers

WOW. Good post an such a "simple" , overlooked automotive item.

I will say this about stainless steel rust-proof screws that not all stainless is "rust-proof" or corrosion-proof. MOST OTC stainless at hardware stores comes from "offshore" (China or Taiwan) manufacturers and is 410-series that is cheaper to buy and machine. The "better" grade is 302/304. The REALLY good grade is 316 (think surgical-medical grade or salt-water corrosion resistant), but that is like 6 times the cost of 410 series. 410-stainless is still better than plain steel screws that will rust. One way to tell if it really cheap stainless steel is to bring a magnet with you and see it the stainless steel is slightly magnetic. If it is, it`s cheap stainless. Works well on testing less-expensive (AKA, cheap) imported "stainless steel" kitchen knives/cutlery.

Laugh as you will, I put anti-seize compound on license plate screws, only to realize that MOST domestic car manufactures have PLASTIC threaded inserts in the sheet metal to attach license plate with.

Stolen license plates a big thing. I do not know of any dealer that substitutes the OEM screws with tamper-proof Torx head screws, the screw head that has a 5-sides star-shape with a "post" in the middle of the star drive to prevent removal or "tampering. Yes, they make special tools that "fit" this screw-drive, and yes, they are readily available to the general public, but most license plate thieves would not think of carrying these "special" tools around. Just food for thought.
    (Only a CADD Technician who has experience with screws, the material types that they are made of, and the drive head on them would think of those things.)

Speaking of screw head drives, the screw cross on Japanese cars is different than a Phillips-head screw cross and is referred to as JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw. Yes, they make special screw driver tips to "fit" these screw cross drives. Those of you who may have inadvertently tried a Phillips-tipped screw drive in a JIS screw, which seems to fit , but then stripped out the head drive when trying remove it to tighten it, well, now you know why.
    More food for thought.....
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage, Vegas1, bob m, PoisonTheWell liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Before I posted this, I ordered a cover from Weather Tech and though well made, my plate did not fit inside as well as it should - huh? go figure, but I did not like the fact that the bare plate could be touching the paint and possibly incur scratches. Soooo, with the input here, I bought the silicone covers mentioned from Amazon.

As an aside a few years ago, while driving to work in NYC one morning, I got pulled over by the police. I was not speeding, went through any traffic lights, my lights were all working, so I could not imagine why the pull over - other than the fact that I did not have my front plate on the car - even though in NY and NJ it was required. Sooooooo the police officer told me that the covered plates were prohibited and let me go w/o a ticket. I couldn`t figure out why they would be but apparently they hinder traffic cameras from getting a clear pic if you should run a light. After that, I swapped out that covered one for the one from Griot`s, but unfortunately left it on my Audi when I traded it in for my CX-5. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulatorette likes having an Isringhausen Imports frame on the back plate of her A8, but other than that we don`t run any frames on any of our vehicles. I`ve tried [you name it] but always come back to preferring none at all. No problems, I still have the same plates on everything that I got the last time Ohio required new ones (and that was a long, long time ago...decades) since they get nasty (well, OK..there`s a bit of very minor accident damage on two of `em, but at this point I really do consider it "patina").

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio recently dropped the Front Plate Requirement, but it was selectively enforced anyhow. We`ve both received plenty of tickets in states where the front plate was required, but while some LEOs commented on it, neither of us was never even given an official warning let alone a citation for it. I consider it merely a means of [messing] with people that the LEO wants to hassle (confirmed, BTW, by numerous LEOs I`ve known), and we`re not in that demographic.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah! So glad to hear you don’t need a front plate any more! Cars look so much better without them. You’re more like us down here now!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I was not speeding, went through any traffic lights, my lights were all working, so I could not imagine why the pull over - other than the fact that I did not have my front plate on the car - even though in NY and NJ it was required.
    Pretty typical for crossing the bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    WOW. Good post an such a "simple" , overlooked automotive item.

I will say this about stainless steel rust-proof screws that not all stainless is "rust-proof" or corrosion-proof. MOST OTC stainless at hardware stores comes from "offshore" (China or Taiwan) manufacturers and is 410-series that is cheaper to buy and machine. The "better" grade is 302/304. The REALLY good grade is 316 (think surgical-medical grade or salt-water corrosion resistant), but that is like 6 times the cost of 410 series. 410-stainless is still better than plain steel screws that will rust. One way to tell if it really cheap stainless steel is to bring a magnet with you and see it the stainless steel is slightly magnetic. If it is, it`s cheap stainless. Works well on testing less-expensive (AKA, cheap) imported "stainless steel" kitchen knives/cutlery.

Laugh as you will, I put anti-seize compound on license plate screws, only to realize that MOST domestic car manufactures have PLASTIC threaded inserts in the sheet metal to attach license plate with.

Stolen license plates a big thing. I do not know of any dealer that substitutes the OEM screws with tamper-proof Torx head screws, the screw head that has a 5-sides star-shape with a "post" in the middle of the star drive to prevent removal or "tampering. Yes, they make special tools that "fit" this screw-drive, and yes, they are readily available to the general public, but most license plate thieves would not think of carrying these "special" tools around. Just food for thought.
    (Only a CADD Technician who has experience with screws, the material types that they are made of, and the drive head on them would think of those things.)

Speaking of screw head drives, the screw cross on Japanese cars is different than a Phillips-head screw cross and is referred to as JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw. Yes, they make special screw driver tips to "fit" these screw cross drives. Those of you who may have inadvertently tried a Phillips-tipped screw drive in a JIS screw, which seems to fit , but then stripped out the head drive when trying remove it to tighten it, well, now you know why.
    More food for thought.....
    Agree, very overlooked. Good info on the SS screws. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    See above post

I`d also recommend adding rust proof screws

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I just got those covers today and dang it, there isn`t any little covers for those screws.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got those covers today and dang it, there isn`t any little covers for those screws.
    I`m sure you can get covers. I don`t use any personally.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I`m sure you can get covers. I don`t use any personally.

I`m not asking sarcastically, but you prefer the look of the bare screws over the covers?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not asking sarcastically, but you prefer the look of the bare screws over the covers?
    It has neve came up as a visual issue to me. I`ve actually only had 2 clients ever who have had the screw covers. I guess it looks better but it has never been something I said to myself I have to have.

I also have a factory front plate drilled into my bumper and have zero issues with that. I bought vanity plates and I paid a lot for them so I dont mind showing them.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I do

I had used all sorts of covers/fastener covers/etc. for ages, but one day I woke up and just wanted Form to follow Function. Like.."this is a license plate; it`s held on with these screws". Anything else just looks weird to me anymore...go figure...
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I do

I had used all sorts of covers/fastener covers/etc. for ages, but one day I woke up and just wanted Form to follow Function. Like.."this is a license plate; it`s held on with these screws". Anything else just looks weird to me anymore...go figure...
    Probably near heresy but I`ve still got the dealer plate frames on all of our cars. License plate covers
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Probably near heresy but I`ve still got the dealer plate frames on all of our cars. License plate covers
    And poof, the legend in my mind that was BudgetPlan1 “Master Coating Guru” went up in smoke in a microsecond.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    And poof, the legend in my mind that was BudgetPlan1 “Master Coating Guru” went up in smoke in a microsecond.
    License plate covers We had a ton of fun at the dealer on the days we bought/picked up the Cayman & Corvette, not totally offensive plate frames and seeing them reminds of those days License plate covers

Wife`s Civic has a dealer frame that`s pretty nice, heavy chrome looks OK and does the job. Getting a bit dinged up, thinking of asking the local Honda store if they`ll give me a new one...if free, I`ll continue advertising!

My Accord i just really don`t think/care much about. Maybe i can score a 2nd `good` freebie from local Honda store...License plate covers
    Likes dgage liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information