Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning a shower

Hi Guys,

I decided to give my DA a shot at cleaning the soap scum in my shower. The scum with the hard water makes for a backbreaking nightmare of a job. Magic erasers just crumble, it gets that bad.

So I am wondering what attachment would be best. Do you think a brush, like an upholstery brush would be good, or would something like a wool pad be better?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning a shower

Wool pad and compound

Post Thanks / Like

One problem you`ll possibly run into is pads getting clogged pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Once a year I clean mine with comet- then DA with 5-1/2 flat LC white pad and FG400. Rinse- iso wipe and apply a coat of CanCoat. Seems to work very well for me.
    I as well have hard water from my well

Post Thanks / Like

My preference is chemicals. The Zep or Home Depot soap scum cleaners work great for me on tile and grout.
    Likes Narit, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Scrub brushes that attach to your drill. Use cleaner of your choice
    Likes BudgetPlan1, RMD, mc2hill, Britsdaddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m gonna try some Griot`s white glass pads with different glass polishes on my Pixie in a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, sounds like people let `em get, uhm...in need of serious cleaning. Why not just wipe them down every use and then do a quickie during the weekly housekeeping? Only takes a few minutes...

Even with our softened water I`d hate to let such stuff go for long.
    Likes screamng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I keep an old California Water Blade in my shower and squeegee after each use. I also use only body wash--means no soap scum build up. Using this leads to minimum shower clean ups for me.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I keep an old California Water Blade in my shower and squeegee after each use.
    Same here! Then I follow up with a WWMF (since I no longer use those when Detailing).

Heh heh, coulda/woulda/shoulda had a *SHOWER* unit instead of a tub w/shower As if I`d ever take the time for a bath instead...what *WAS* I thinking?!? The shower stalls we have in the other baths are *SO* quick/easy to do by comparison...

Post Thanks / Like

jtford95 and yamabob: "Once a year I clean mine with comet- then DA with 5-1/2 flat LC white pad and FG400. Rinse- iso wipe and apply a coat of CanCoat. Seems to work very well for me.
    I as well have hard water from my well"

Are you using these products and attachments on tile or gel-coated fiberglass? I`m reluctant to be too aggressive on my fiberglass shower walls for fear of removing or damaging the glossy gel-coat.
    I was considering trying a chemical cleaner product like Klasse AIO with a white polishing pad. Would the cleaner do the job or are you thinking an abrasive polish is required?
    Would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My preference is chemicals. The Zep or Home Depot soap scum cleaners work great for me on tile and grout.
    Same, and we squeegee after each shower as best as possible.

I bought the ZEP Shower, Tile & Tub (acidic) a couple of weeks ago and have used it several times. It`s the first shower "scum" cleaner I`ve purchased that actually works. Agitation is still required, result I`ve had is pleasing. It is acidic so it`s got to be kept away from marble surfaces. Good product, $8/gallon at Lowe`s.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny no one mentioned plastic razor blades or larger plastic putty knives for scraping off REALLY accumulated soap scum. That may be a necessary first step.
    But if the soap scum THAT bad, maybe you need to consider cleaning your shower on a more-regular basis. (Hypocrite Captain Obvious who cleans his shower like once a month and it looks it!)

I think it has been mentioned in house-care forums that some soaps are more prone to leaving soap scum on tub/shower tile or fiberglass. I think it was bar soaps more-so than the liquid soaps.

I would like to know if there is a "safe" cleaner for cleaning off hard-water deposits on fiberglass. WAIT! I have some Optimum`s MRD Mineral Deposit Remover that I have not used much that might be a "safe" fiberglass shower cleaning product. i "dislike" this product because it it not a wipe-on-wipe-off stand-alone product. It does require a `separate` wash product, like OPT Opti-Clean to used with it to clean it off. it did work great on on house windows after a home power-wash company washed our exterior aluminum siding, but never rinsed off the windows. Their service was much cheap compared to other quotes we got from other home power wash services, and now I know why. What ever soap formula this "cheaper" washing service used left a nasty film on the exterior outside window pain glass. OPT MDS to the rescue, and yes, it did work well to remove that film and "other" acid-rain deposits that seems to accumulate over time on the exterior side of windows. I cleaned them then with OPT Power Clean diluted 3:1 and water, wiped dry it a chamois (hey I still have some and put it to good use), THEN cleaned with a widow cleaner and window microfiber clothe. Lot of my own time invested, but the windows are clean.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I do this also, comes out real good, make sure to put bathroom vent on to help remove chemical smell/fumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDfx View Post
    ...Are you using these products and attachments on tile or gel-coated fiberglass? I`m reluctant to be too aggressive on my fiberglass shower walls for fear of removing or damaging the glossy gel-coat....
    I would absolutely love to know how much of a top coat you have to work with on a fiberglass shower, or even cultured marble (or whatever you call the manufactured ceramic looking stuff a lot of bathroom vanities are made out of).

Our fiberglass shower upstairs is clean, but is just kinda lifeless from all the scuffs from years of cleaning. It`s also got a fair amount of water spotting etched into it.

Similar for the vanities - they`re clean and don`t have any staining, but you can tell there could be a whole lot more shine if you took a machine and some compound to them. I did a little experiment on our ugly vanity in the basement with a quick hit of One Step Sealant on an orange polishing pad - it looked a lot better but there were deeper scratches that could use some more cycles. I just don`t know much about the material (or where exactly to learn more about it) - is there a coating on it, or is it just that the top surface gets polished?

I`ve threatened that at some point I`m going to bring my polishers upstairs, but I`m reluctant to go too crazy not knowing exactly what I`m working with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information