Post Thanks / Like

Hose Bib replacement

The house my wife and I bought has two outside hose bibs and both leak. I’d like to replace them both sometime before the first frost this fall. Pretty sure I want to get 1/4 turn bibs. Are Prier bibs are good choice? Also is it a hard task for someone who hasn’t done any plumbing in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hose Bib replacement

The fact that you mentioned frost tells me you need some type of a self-siphoning hose bib to prevent freezing of water within the bib once it is turned off. Not sure if the Prier bibs are that type. You may also need to check with local municipal codes for plumbing as that may dictate what type of faucet or hose bib you can (or have to) install to replace what you have.
    One code we found out when we had an outside hose bib replaced was that the shut-off valve behind the faucet hose bib was not to code. It was an older needle valve type with a screw handle, and probably the original one installed when the house was built in the mid 1950`s. That had to be replaced as well with an up- to-code quarter-turn ball valve shut off. Not a cheap proposition to have all this done by a registered licensed plumber as required by the city of Green Bay, WI where the house resides in. There was no way I could have done this plumbing on my own.

Now if you do not have those code constraints and can find a handy person who could do this hose-bib installation for you, it might be to your advantage to go that route. PROPER plumbing tools are not inexpensive nor does everyone have the skills to tackle such a home-improvement project.

Just like detailing , not every has a full compliment buffers and car-care chemicals to do an Autopian-level truly professional detail on a vehicle. Some things are better left to specialized professionals with those skill sets and all the tools to get the job done to that professional level and to local building codes.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get one at Home Depot or Lowe’s. Go to a plumbing supply store and get a frost free spigot.

Just had my done last weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the frost free ones put in as replacements a few years back by the local plumber - cost me about $150 total for 2 installed...... But definitely get the frost free

This Old House - Install Hose Bibb

YouTube Install Video
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I generally consider myself pretty handy, I`m of the opinion if it involves Natural Gas, Water, or Electricity, I`d feel better having a professional take care of it. Basically anything where there`s a risk of damage to the home.

Light duty/low risk stuff I`ll dip into like sink drains or replacing outlets; but stuff like water heaters or adding circuits to the electrical box is outside my comfort level.

The big thing I worry about with plumbing issues are the shut off valves. The last house I had was built in the 50`s, and every time I turned a (threaded style) shut off valve to service one thing, the dang thing would start leaking from the shaft of the valve. Now you`re fixing your original problem and replacing the shut off valve.

To JSFM35X`s point, there`s also that worry that whatever part you`re putting in is a cheap short lived part vs a quality part that lasted much longer in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned you need the frost free type of spigot. They don`t shut off at the spigot themselves but close the valve further into the wall or even on inside of the house, it lets the water drain so it doesn`t freeze and bust the spigot itself. If you have never done plumbing before you might want to hire it out.

Good luck.
    Dean.
    Likes tom p., GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I researched a lot and got a Prier (Mansfield), this one https://www.completeplumbingsource.c...n-wall-hydrant

I wanted one that I could get spare parts for, because as noted with the flavor-of-the-week at Home Depot or Lowes, you can never get any parts to fix them later. I also wanted to get one without the damn anti-siphon, because those always leak, but they just don`t make them without that anymore. I bought a repair kit at the same time as the faucet as an obsolescence hedge.

Oh, about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Also is it a hard task for someone who hasn’t done any plumbing in the past?
    As Oneheadlite noted, I wouldn`t do this if you have no plumbing experience.
    Likes bigltc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    The big thing I worry about with plumbing issues are the shut off valves. The last house I had was built in the 50`s, and every time I turned a (threaded style) shut off valve to service one thing, the dang thing would start leaking from the shaft of the valve. Now you`re fixing your original problem and replacing the shut off valve.
    Ah, the joy of string packing. Usually tightening up the packing nut stops those leaks, but it`s a nuisance, for sure.

Thread Information