Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Cam - anyone have one ?

I was looking around at back up cameras and I noticed dash cams and picked one up. It has the back up feature too. The videos are interesting and it may come in handy if something happens. Any ideas on the best mounting place? I guess just behind the mirror or that area would be the best for overall view. Anyone here have one ?
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dash Cam - anyone have one ?

Subscribed...been looking at them too
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I refuse to drive without one. Two cars have them mounted on the passenger side right behind the mirror. The camaro is at the far right upper corner of the windshield. If you put it where the others are it block your view. Just the rake of that windshield. So it can vary a little. I think a dash cam is essential.

This from a previous post of mine:

People full of crap, be it another driver or police who think they saw something different than how it was. Is the reason i will not drive a car without a dash cam. My son in-law got hit by a red light runner just a few months ago. The lady that hit him and a witness said he ran the red light. His dash cam footage proved otherwise. A dash cam to me should be the first upgrade in any vehicle. Protection from lies, either intentionally or not.

Edit: that said i will not use one with gps speed turned on. You end up in a battle in court, or with insurance. If that shows you were going 36-37 in a 35. You were speeding in the letter of the law. Even though we know that keeping your speed right on the nose isn`t always happening. The last thing you want is insurance to say you are blank percentage at fault because you were one or two miles an hour over the speed limit. When the other drive pulled out without looking.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of mounting it to the right of the mirror up high. It would be less visible there. May be to the far right as mentioned above. I don`t want to mount it above the driver if it falls it might be a problem. I am getting the square one, not the wedge shape. I think you have to turn off/on some features when parked/driving. Not sure yet, I should get it this weekend.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m looking into one too, a little later than I had planned. As a now retired police officer, I would strongly suggest people get them. Any cop will tell you that the vast majority of people`s recall is faulty (for multiple reasons). I was always happy when dash cam footage was available for incidents. It`s been invaluable too many times.

Gordon
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have one, but my Valentine-1 goes up high to the right of the mirror mount on the glass, and it is out of the way for my front view. Once leveled, it works great there..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Bunch of pics but installed DR900S in my 4C a year ago. Works great, have captured tons of people acting dumb in cars, motorcycles and bikes. Was nearly run over by a semi while I was stopped at a stoplight, this prompted the install. I was able to install myself keeping wires hidden but installed 2 extra batteries. Figure if can install this in this small car with carbon tub and no carpet, others should be able to fit much easier in their cars.

Note that no longer powering from above cig lighter, tapped into the bottom of that so now wire is hidden.

Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2720.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2722.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2728.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2735.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2738.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2732__.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2736__.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2739__.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2740__.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-dsc_2741__.jpg
    Dash Cam - anyone have one ?-battery__.jpg

Few videos:
    https://youtu.be/LQlLRUN5if4

https://youtu.be/fSxXV1rsYT4

https://youtu.be/siUwWflXAkQ

Various examples/samples from driving in a storm night and day:
    https://youtu.be/UXYKwYKr1ds
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to behave yourself if you have one lest you be your own best witness for the prosecution. No, I don`t have one, although I do see the merits.

Post Thanks / Like

I run the Garmin Dash Cam 55 in my car and the Garmin Mini in the wife’s car. Both are great and do the job.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8e3WihJbwPFXL4hp6

Young gal taking the turn a little too fast:
    https://youtu.be/9-C_15tjYsY

And caught a transformer thing getting hit by lightning:
    https://youtu.be/wA2i0vArBsE
    Thanks Stokdgs, pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Go here for some great info

https://www.vortexradar.com/best-dashcams/
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, pgp thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, I might install it this weekend. It`s a basic one. I was looking at it and it kept turning on as I handled it. I guess it`s the g or movement sensor. I was looking at hard wiring it, but not sure it will kill the battery. The external batteries that are made for them are expensive. I guess I will mount the back camera on or by the license plate since it has parking assist. The back window mount would be easier.

General toner, interesting videos, the last one I know the area. rt 100/tpk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    Thanks all, I might install it this weekend. It`s a basic one. I was looking at it and it kept turning on as I handled it. I guess it`s the g or movement sensor. I was looking at hard wiring it, but not sure it will kill the battery. The external batteries that are made for them are expensive. I guess I will mount the back camera on or by the license plate since it has parking assist. The back window mount would be easier.

General toner, interesting videos, the last one I know the area. rt 100/tpk

Obviously you are correct. Live in Chester Springs so I believe many of these videos are local, else out in Lancaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone here who has one explain why the default settings are what they are ? I would think some of the settings should be different.

Motion detection- off in standby mode sensed movement and turns on
    HDR - off adjusts exposure for balanced picture
    parking monitor - off when enabled will detect collision when shut down and turn on and record
    auto power off -off when enabled will shut down
    screen saver - off when off screen displays constantly

Post Thanks / Like

I got it installed for now. I had a bunch of issues putting it in. I had it by the mirror with a suction cup on the black dots in the upper part of the window. It fell off the windshield today. It has parking assist so I wanted to be able to see it. The wires were tucked under the headliner. They came out too. I had to move the camera since it was in the way of the trunk release.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing this back from the dead. I started it so I guess I can.

I have not needed it which is good, but have never put in the time to get it right.

Here are my issues. It was a cheap one from Amazon. It got very hot sitting in the sun all day. I could not touch it to save a video, It kept turning off and on all the time. All the time I had it there was static in my radio. I got another one which was on sale and a little smaller. I have to spend some time getting it mounted better. When it falls off the window ( suction cup ), it pulls the wires out too. I tried to get into the headliner and run the cable over the top to the back camera. It was too tight and I was afraid to get near the airbags. Looking back maybe a mirror mounted one would be a little better. Less lightly to fall off and be less noticeable ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information