Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Home purchase with a screened in car port question

My wife and I are entering into contract on our first home purchase. Part of the house has a screened in porch that I would like to convert to a 3 sided screened in car port. For detailing purposes how many outlets would be recommended for this room. I will try to attach a picture for reference

What you should see is the 3 “walls” that will stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home purchase with a screened in car port question

You have to account for what will be plugged in. I would definitely say if feasible to have on both sided of the vehicle. 2 (for total outlets) per side i would think plenty.

Also will you be using plug in flood lifhts or hard wiring something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- IME "more is better" applies here, and/but I`d *really* be focused on the max amperage of the circuits (note plural) so you aren`t trying to plug in a lot of high-draw stuff at the same time only to trip the breaker(s).

Post Thanks / Like

What about a Roboreel hanging from the ceiling? It has a 50 foot cord with 3 outlets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    What about a Roboreel hanging from the ceiling? It has a 50 foot cord with 3 outlets.
    I`d think that`s one of those situational things...really hard to say whether it`d be right for somebody else, but certainly worth considering.

For some reason I`ve *NEVER* found high-mounted electric reels right for me, not once. But that`s just me in my shops and even I might love one someplace else. On its own separate 20A circuit

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512-- From what I see, you have 2 outside walls, that are screened, and exposed to the weather, water, etc..., and 1 inside wall that is part of the house, and is covered the best from weather..

I am not sure that an electrician would wire any electrical to those outside, exposed to water, walls, for obvious reasons..

So, the only wall you could add additional electrical would be that inside wall, that I see already has one duplex weather tight outlet in it..

If I was going to use your configuration for my Shop, the only place I would wire in more electrical would have to be that inside wall, and it would be 2 each, 20amp breakers on 12awg romex each, to 2 each, 20amp duplex plugs with weather tight covers as is on that existing outlet..

1 outlet at the front of the wall, and 1 outlet at the end of the wall.

You need to open up your breaker panel and see if you have space for 2 more breakers of course..

Your ceiling looks too low to hang a reel, and then be able to get taller vehicles in and not run into it, etc.. It IS, however, the handiest way to handle wire and air, as you notice all factory assembly lines are configured that way..

Good luck with your project..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Astouffer512-- From what I see, you have 2 outside walls, that are screened, and exposed to the weather, water, etc..., and 1 inside wall that is part of the house, and is covered the best from weather..

I am not sure that an electrician would wire any electrical to those outside, exposed to water, walls, for obvious reasons..
    Heh heh, the more knowledgeable you are, the more things that`re obvious...the above is *not* so obvious to this guy!

You know more about such stuff than I do, but I`d have thought it`d be like having an outdoor outlet on an exterior wall, of which we have a few.

What am I missing?

EDIT: adding to my confusion, we have one of those outdoor outlets on a room that was apparently not really intended to be a "room" but rather a "porch on a slab" (the original owner then had it very cheaply tweaked into a mudroom. That room seems pretty similar to what Astouffer512 is working with, at least to this layman.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, Hermano ! I hope you guys are staying well up there !

I know, electrical (GFI) can be wired to outside walls, long as there is a weatherproof cover over it.. But if it is raining, snowing, and that screened, outside wall is getting rained on, what good would it be for one to want to use it?

And I hate many electrical cords running all over the floor, getting run over by equipment on wheels, etc., and possibly causing damage to them someday, etc..

I can operate all day and night with even 2 duplex inside outlets, wired as above. 1 for the Steamer, 1 for the big extractor, and all the lights above, on their own circuit; possibly plug a big Scangrip light into the lights circuit, and I can do anything out there with no risks, breakers tripping, etc..

And when all the Interior cleaning is completed that required the machines, then I am down to 1 Rotary, the overhead lights, and a couple of big Scangrips on their duplex stand, so less wire on the floor even..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Might`ve known you`re accustomed to them being set up properly so you`re not resetting breakers all the time

I`ve used my outdoor outlets in the snow (and even rain) plenty of times (yeah, I know, "safety first" ) and never had a problem; I`m more likely to trip the GFIs in the shop! I`d think there wouldn`t be much water intrusion, but that`s just guesswork.

Guess I`m just used to having some extension cords plugged in all the time (vacuum, AirWand) and recoiling them after every use, and otherwise putting away any cords when *not* in use, that it didn`t occur to me that somebody might not want to do that. Yes indeed..."different for Pros", huh?!? When we had the dealership, the guy just had to do it whether he liked it or not and it never occurred to me to, uhm...care

Post Thanks / Like

Received the home inspection today. The outlets in the screened in porch h are not GFI grounded recepticals. Need to read the rest of the report to see if the whole house is that way or not

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Received the home inspection today. The outlets in the screened in porch h are not GFI grounded recepticals. Need to read the rest of the report to see if the whole house is that way or not

Astouffer512- Hope the Home Inspection Report is favorable for your plan..

In my experience with Home GFI circuits, they are only used in places where water is near, so the Kitchen, the Bathroom/s , etc..

I have never lived in a house that was completely wired GFI, and would not ever want that, because they sometimes trip for no reason..
    For example, the one in the Master Bathroom often trips overnight for no reason..

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- I agree with Stokdgs..got a few GFIs that are *almost* troublesome enough to replace but I keep putting it off.

It shouldn`t be a biggie to have the ones that require it replaced with GFIs, just don`t fix stuff that`s not broken

This might be a good time to go around *looking for the existing GFIs*, maybe even before reading the report. See if you can find them, if they`re in the intuitively obvious places (or not!), then cross-reference your findings with the report. You oughta know where they all are anyhow, if only so you can reset `em without a big search.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Astouffer512- I agree with Stokdgs..got a few GFIs that are *almost* troublesome enough to replace but I keep putting it off.

It shouldn`t be a biggie to have the ones that require it replaced with GFIs, just don`t fix stuff that`s not broken

This might be a good time to go around *looking for the existing GFIs*, maybe even before reading the report. See if you can find them, if they`re in the intuitively obvious places (or not!), then cross-reference your findings with the report. You oughta know where they all are anyhow, if only so you can reset `em without a big search.
    What Accumulator said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See if the Home Inspector`s Report noted something about all GFI`s and their location, and perhaps He/She tested them..

I rented a beautiful house in Folsom, CA., for a year, and it had these things in the appropriate places, but it took me awhile to discover that in the Garage, there was 1 duplex outlet on a wall that had that little , square, reset button, that controlled some of the GFI`s in the house, but not all of them..

Very annoying..

And now, I have a house that not only has GFI duplex outlets, I see some of the 20amp (it is all wired in 20amp, except for oven, dryer,Furnace,A/C,) Breakers are a GFI Breaker in the Panel.. .

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we too have goofy-wired GFIs...I doubt they`d even pass Code today (if they ever did...). One of which kept tripping for no discernible reason for years and then...stopped, and has never done it again. Eh, OK..[Accumulator knocks on wood]

But even if everything`s OK (Stokdgs` current place is done right IMO, though others might say "overkill"), it really does pay to know where all of `em are if only because it`ll save frustration if things go haywire (which is often disconcerting enough when you *do* know what you need to). (Yeah, repeating for emphasis...guess who`s had to figure it out at the exact wrong time Lesson learned...)

Post Thanks / Like

Home purchase with a screened in car port question

Does anyone have a central vac system installed for interior detailing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information