Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home purchase with a screened in car port question

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Received the home inspection today. The outlets in the screened in porch h are not GFI grounded recepticals. Need to read the rest of the report to see if the whole house is that way or not

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Depending on the you Breaker Panel. You may be able to replace the breaker with GFCI breaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Depending on the you Breaker Panel. You may be able to replace the breaker with GFCI breaker.
    Would that be better/easier/?what? than replacing the outlets? I`m so ignorant about such stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- How did the rest of the Home Inspection go? Any nasty surprises?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Would that be better/easier/?what? than replacing the outlets? I`m so ignorant about such stuff...
    A lot easier than you think. Plus it covers the whole zone/room. So it can be 1 install, that covers many outlets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGO67WLQ1nE

Post Thanks / Like

Tc99m- Ah, OK...sounds obvious now that you`ve schooled me

Do they shut down as fast when at the panel? (Yes indeed, more of my ignorance showing, but this is how I`ll learn.)

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some of those GFCI Breakers in my house Breaker panel, and I have no idea which circuits they are on.. Unless they are the ones the GFCI receptacles are connected to.. I hate that when people do not ID and label the panel..

The GFCI Breakers sound much easier to do, except that you would want to know exactly which outlets they are wired into, so that when those outlets go out, you will know you have to go out there, rain, or snow, etc., and reset the breaker, after finding out first why it tripped..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Home purchase with a screened in car port question

Astouffer512- How did the rest of the Home Inspection go? Any nasty surprises?
    Accumulator, no real nasty surprises for a home that was built in the 1950’s actually. The roof vent had a leak, the mortars around the chimney needs work and the heating / HVAC needed serviced. They also needed to replace a pipe that was leaking but nothing else really major. Well...I lie I guess. We had looked at this house late summer and he. It was sale by owner and the basement has a upfkuah toilet that wasn’t functioning. We knew that going in and were planning on doing something with it but we weren’t sure. During the home Inspection the inspector flushed the toilet and water went all over the basement. So the current owners had to get the water removed. Pretty sure it was even on the inspection notice that it didn’t function so to not test it, but alas. The basement also had a shower installed that isn’t functional and the home inspector got soaked when trying it. I’ll remove that somewhere down the road. The upstairs bathroom also needs remodeled so the issues found in the home inspection we ignored because we are remodeling it before we move in.

All the outlets in question were brought up to code by the current owners and I found another outlet that was hidden behind some holly bushes.

We haven’t been able to be in the house to do any measuring because of the current health situation so that is hard, but the loan was submitted to underwriting and the appraisal is done so hopefully it won’t be long.

My biggest gripe is 2 things. Currently no garage and I have all but an acre of grass the mow. I see a zero turn in my immediate future. 5 year plan is hopefully to have a garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tc99m- Ah, OK...sounds obvious now that you`ve schooled me

Do they shut down as fast when at the panel? (Yes indeed, more of my ignorance showing, but this is how I`ll learn.)
    Yes it`s just as quick. The important part is that it covers the whole circuit, including the wiring and all devices and appliances connected to the circuit. The negative is that if it trips you need to access the breaker panel to reset it. And it cost 40-50 bucks. But if you need to install lets say 3 GFCI receptacles at $15 each. Then it is a wash, plus more protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Tc99m- Once again, thanks for schooling me

Wouldn`t *one* GFI receptacle per circuit do the job though? I don`t have multiples of those on any of mine, so the Breaker vs. Recptacle seems kinda a wash other than the expense of having the work done and the GFI breaker vs. receptacle..am I missing something again?!?

Astouffer512- Heh heh, as long as *YOU* consider those issues "minor" that`s all that counts, but I`d be pretty concerned about some of `em. Eh, different people have different thresholds of significance and different tolerances for various things...though IMO the no-garage and all that mowing (after all the issues are sorted) are worth a little deep thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- Heh heh, I`m still trying to wrap my head around a `50s/ "midcentury" home not being considered a newer one!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator a GFCI receptacle usually only protects the one outlet. There are some receptacles that can protect other outlets. However, only ones that are downstream in the circuit.

2 years ago I bought a house that was built in 1986. It had the dreaded Federal Pacific breaker panel. "Huge Fire Hazard" So I replaced the breaker panel. I then failed my county inspection. The county inspector wanted me to put GFCI receptacles through out my house. The house had 3. One in the Kitchen and one in each full bath. (He even left me some contacts for local electricians.)

That is why I suggested it to the OP. If possible it may be easier to just replace the breaker.

I was shocked! It worked out to 37 receptacles to be replaced. So it was quicker and far less work to change breakers. I returned the new ones and bought all GFCI breakers. It took me about 30mins total time. When the inspector came back for the inspection. He passed me but wasn`t very happy. I truly believe he was just being an A$$ to someone he didn`t know. And was trying to create business for his friends.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tc99m- OK, I asked because we only have one GFI for numerous outlets, in both the original and new sections of the house/garages, but that`s still a lot of them. But then we have a gazillion breakers (numerous boxes..) and I`m willing to just live with stuff that`s working fine. Every time we`ve tripped a GFI it turned out fine..famous last words and all

Post Thanks / Like

What is the autopian way to clean house siding? Rather, what does everyone find best to work with your pressure washer?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use a dedicated foam cannon and my Sunjoe pressure and do a soft wash. Which is a mixture of dawn, bleach and water. I will foam down one side of the house. By time I have reached the end of the house it is time to go back and rinse the other side. Then I move on to the next side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information