Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Noisy door seals?

Hi all,

I have a 2019 VW Golf R, and when I drive in and out of my driveway I can hear creaking sounds from what I assume are the rubber seals in the doors. Has anyone else heard this and found a product that will silence them?

Ben - Melbourne/Australia

Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noisy door seals?

phatrs- I have two vehicles that do that. I treat the seals with the 1Z/NextZ or Wurth Gummi Pfledge (sp?) stuff. Needs redone more often than I`d like, but it`s quick and easy with no mess.
    Likes Stokdgs, Desertnate liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Phatrs -- I love those Golf R`s !!!! So nice inside and fast outside !!

I am totally in agreement with Accumulator above ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only product that has produced excellent results on hundreds of German vehicles has been a Gummi Pflege product like this one here at the Autopia Store - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-9...l#.Xi9U4zKQH3g

Just clean your door seals, apply it, over all the areas, dont`f forget to follow the seals under the doors..

It will also condition them and keep them softer so they last longer..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a similar question with help on squeaky seals for a hardtop on a `11 Corvette. Seems this a known problem that Chevy Corvette engineers addressed in a Technical Service Bulletin/Publication (TSB or TSP) It ain`t cheap! Please see the linked thread for suggestions:
    Looking for Help with Squeeky Seal on `11 Corvette Removable Hardtop

The suggestions above are probably a better (and much cheaper) solution to your problem.
    I did like the suggestion in the above linked thread to use https://agscompany.com/product/sil-g...ant-tube-4-oz/

ben:
    What is your wildfire situation like where you live? Just curious, since the USA news channels no longer carry much about the Australian recovery or if the fires are still ongoing, but not in such a disastrous way.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Similar to what Lonnie suggest, I used this stuff on my `91 MR2 and it works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What is in Gummi Pfledge? I’ve always just used dielectric grease in the winter. 303 aerospace in the summer. The Gummi Pfledge looks interesting.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I asked a similar question with help on squeaky seals for a hardtop on a `11 Corvette. Seems this a known problem that Chevy Corvette engineers addressed in a Technical Service Bulletin/Publication (TSB or TSP) It ain`t cheap! Please see the linked thread for suggestions:
    Looking for Help with Squeeky Seal on `11 Corvette Removable Hardtop

The suggestions above are probably a better (and much cheaper) solution to your problem.
    I did like the suggestion in the above linked thread to use https://agscompany.com/product/sil-g...ant-tube-4-oz/

ben:
    What is your wildfire situation like where you live? Just curious, since the USA news channels no longer carry much about the Australian recovery or if the fires are still ongoing, but not in such a disastrous way.
    I’ll give the suggestions a try. I have some Autoglym rubber and vinyl protector so I’ll try that first.

I live in Melbourne, the capital of the south eastern state of Victoria, with a population of roughly 5 million. It’s about 200 kilometres from the large fires that were particularly bad for the first 2 weeks of this year, and you may have seen news about residents of the town of Mallacoota having to shelter on the beach and subsequently being evacuated by navy ships. We’ve been lucky to have no fires in our area, but smoke from the fires in the east reduced air quality to worse than India.

Then we copped severe hail storms in Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney last week and lots of rain but most of the fires in the east of Victoria and southern New South Wales are still listed as out of control.

Hail in my area was golf ball sized, and I got caught in it so our new Golf R now needs about $1k worth of paintless dent removal to fix it. I got lucky and was able to shelter under a bridge just after it started but many people have had windows and lights smashed, with $10k or in damage to their vehicles coz in some places it was baseball sized hail.

We’ve got a few days of 35-40C coming up later this week, so the firies (firefighters) will probably be busy again.
    Ben
    Melbourne/Australia

2015 VW Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R
    Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, BillE, JRW67, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

How do people avoid mess with silicone/etc. lubricants? How do you avoid those retaining dirt?

My limited experience with such approaches resulted in those issues, just as I`d suspected. Some dried *almost* OK, but would I touch them with a white silk garment? No way...The Gummi Pflege stuff dries much cleaner.

If the answer is "just don`t touch them, they`re not gonna be that bad" then OK, but other than the tires, I don`t want *any* surfaces on my vehicles being in that condition [EDIT: well, there are the running boards on the Tahoe...gotta do those in the "slime" manner As a result, I don`t actually step on them or otherwise touch them between washes.]

The Gummi Pflege from 1Z was barely OK in this regard. Not 100% but close (enough). The much pricier Wurth version was better, but I doubt anybody else would think it worth the added cost.

Oh, and I wouldn`t use the Gummi`s applicator that`s built into the bottle. Unless you keep your seals a *LOT* nicer than I do, the foam part of the applicator will quickly become soiled, and cleaning it is a PIA at best. It`s pretty big/ungainly anyhow so I do a lot better applying with various cloths/little sponges/swabs. The tiny disposable paintbrushes made for touchups are good for getting into tight spots, so I always use a few of those also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    What is in Gummi Pfledge? I’ve always just used dielectric grease in the winter. 303 aerospace in the summer. The Gummi Pfledge looks interesting.
    The Gummi Plege works great. I`ve never had any problem with any seals even after decades of daily use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    .. dont`f forget to follow the seals under the doors..
    That`s a pet peeve of mine! The kinda-fancy ones on the Audis require at least four separate cleaning steps at every. single. wash. Just that takes me longer than some spend washing the whole car And then I gotta treat them now and then...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    phatrs- I have two vehicles that do that. I treat the seals with the 1Z/NextZ or Wurth Gummi Pfledge (sp?) stuff. Needs redone more often than I`d like, but it`s quick and easy with no mess.
    Another vote for Gummi Pfledge. For some reason I only have the creaky door seal issue on German cars (VWs and BMWs in my case) and it seems to occur more in the winter. This has made me a decades long user of the stuff.

I`m not sure if it is still the case, but the rubber seal conditioner BMW dealerships used to sell was re-packaged Gummi Pfledge. When I owned my first BMW and didn`t know better, I mentioned the creaky door issue during a service visit thinking it was a bigger problem. They treated the seals with Gummi Pfledge and gave me the bottle they used to take home.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Wear headphones.

Post Thanks / Like

Other places to not neglect are under hood and trunk. Treat any rubber stops, and weatherstrip in those areas as well.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    Coleroad -
    Hope you guys are doing ok in Coldorado..
    I only have the older bottles of 1Z Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift (Rubber Care Stick).
    All it says on the bottles = Contains "Care Emulsion, and Citrus Scent Extracts"..
    Gotta love those Germans !!

Perhaps the "New" Company ="Nextzett", bottles has a better description?

In my experiences with this product, it is not sticky, greasy, or gets on your clothing if you rub up against it, after it dries..
    Every Bimmer for sure I have ever Detailed, has needed this, and it always worked great. All the seals, including trunk, under hood, etc..
    Dan F
    Thanks Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the acid-test for these products is using them on seals that directly contact the glass. If the glass stays perfectly clean, OK; if not.."next!" This is where the Wurth is *slightly* better than the 1Z, but I do mean "slightly" as in, others can`t always tell the diff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information