Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing of the guard at Optimum

Optimum appears to be going through a restructuring. First Yvan and now Dann Williams. There are a few others that have left their team as well.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Changing of the guard at Optimum

Any insight on why people are leaving or what`s going on? I hope their products aren`t affected.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pie in the sky, but it sure would be nice if they lowered their price on some of their items especially Opti-Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why people are leaving.

Yvan was supposedly retiring but then Lake Country pulled him in. He’s pretty active for them on social media and is now pushing training classes. So it looks like he is not retired.

Dann hasn’t shared what he will be doing but he had other aspirations he is chasing and left in good terms.

The others are probably jumping ship because of these two guys.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I know I left their camp when the Opticoat vs Glosscoat thing happened. :-D Glad I did, I love McKee`s.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Optimum Polymer Technology (OPT) products and I find their price and performance are a good value (at least for me). BUT, as a hobbyist, I not exactly keeping them in business, either.
    Like Dan above said, there are a lot of car care product manufacturers out there and it offers both professional and hobbyist detailers choices and options as to what to use, and, hence, were to spend their detailing product dollars.

What exactly did Dann Williams DO at Optimum and why is this such earth-shattering news to the detailing community at large? It makes it sound like Optimum`s "personnel restructuring" is signalling its business collapse.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Pie in the sky, but it sure would be nice if they lowered their price on some of their items especially Opti-Coat.
    Repackaging some items wouldn’t hurt either. I have about 5cc’s of Opti-lens protecting my garage ceiling.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is about the usual. Dr. G isn`t a sales and marketing guy, he`s a lab geek. I remember a video he did with Mike Phillips some years ago and Mike asked him a question about how to apply the product and the answer was "that`s why I have you detailers, Mike" (or something like that).

Dr. G never had a full time sales and marketing person, he always relied on pro detailers that had their own businesses to rep for him...Anthony Orosco, Chris Thomas, and Yvan and Dann started like that too...but then they both seemed to go full time with Optimum. It always seemed like Dr. G was swayed by these semi-official "employees" into doing things like dropping OC 2.0, etc.

I`m not sure if Yvan "retiring" was a way for Optimum to save face, or if that`s just what he told Dr. G he was doing when LC offered him that job. I know Dr. G run a very lean company, but maybe it`s time for him to bring someone on board in the sales/marketing area who isn`t located remotely from Memphis running another company. I know he has a guy who runs the PPF part of the business, unless he`s gone too.

Post Thanks / Like

With new coating companies like SPS, SB3, Gyeon etc... making the onboarding process for new installers pretty straightforward, I was a bit turned off by some of their requirements. I hope for their sake, that part changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    With new coating companies like SPS, SB3, Gyeon etc... making the onboarding process for new installers pretty straightforward, I was a bit turned off by some of their requirements. I hope for their sake, that part changes.
    Yeah, there was a lot of backlash from part-time pros here on the forum like Rasky when Optimum imposed stricter requirements like minimum buys that effectively forced them out of the program. Perhaps it was simply an attempt to have a more structured and professional industry by only having full-time installers, in kind of the same way the IDA has been trying to add structure and professionalism to the industry in general.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m all for structure. But the minimum buys was kind of ````ty.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    I’m all for structure. But the minimum buys was kind of ````ty.
    I`m not disagreeing, I`m just playing devil`s advocate and suggesting that perhaps Optimum`s longer/larger view was that most people get their car repaired at a garage or a dealership, not at someone`s house or from a mobile service, so if they are getting a warrantied coating applied to their paint maybe they should be getting it at "detailing shop", so they were trying to encourage that.

As we all know from this forum, many of these part-time guys (Rasky, Zach, Richy, I`m sure I`m forgetting some) do phenomenal work, so it was unfortunate that they got discriminated against by Optimum.

Post Thanks / Like

no doubt with ivan not around they have soom big shoes to fill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, there was a lot of backlash from part-time pros here on the forum like Rasky when Optimum imposed stricter requirements like minimum buys that effectively forced them out of the program. Perhaps it was simply an attempt to have a more structured and professional industry by only having full-time installers, in kind of the same way the IDA has been trying to add structure and professionalism to the industry in general.
    That never forced me out of the program. I left on my own after the 3rd price increase in less than 2 years. Meeting the minimum is pretty easy, even doing 2-4 cars a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    That never forced me out of the program. I left on my own after the 3rd price increase in less than 2 years. Meeting the minimum is pretty easy, even doing 2-4 cars a month.
    Oh, sorry...my memory isn`t what it used to be
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information