Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Feedback please. Can this less under 1 year old peeling Xpel Authorized installed PPF be saved or require replacement?

This year the car had full PPF installed along with a ceramic coating by a Xpel Authorized shop. The PPF in the trunk started peeling in about a week, but now it has progressed to the rest of the exterior of the car. I carefully went over it after it came back from dealer service and took these photos. The original installer stated they could fix it by touching up the parts that are peeling as there is a warranty, but I found a cut mark in the film along with a few spots where the film doesn`t reach the edge is this normal? Can this film be touched up or does it require replacement in your opinion?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I attached a dropbox link as the images weren`t loading or it could be me since I am new to the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6c5se9xbg...ymVJC0_ua?dl=0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback please. Can this less under 1 year old peeling Xpel Authorized installed PPF be saved or require replacement?

While they are certain allowances to be made for PPF installs based on the level of `custom` installation done, I`d say many of the pics show some things that I would not be pleased with, notably the cut mark and some of the poor trimming. Unless you go big $$ on an all-out custom install w/ some dissasembly there will be some edges/seams that are noticeable up close but they should be clean and straight cuts w/ respect to following edges (.i.e symmetrical to edge) IMO.

I`d take it back and have them fix/replaces the really disturbing sections/areas. Edges can lift as well but should be easily remedied and if not possible, replace.

Interesting info in this article: PPF Installation

Quote Originally Posted by MBi View Post
    This year the car had full PPF installed along with a ceramic coating by a Xpel Authorized shop. The PPF in the trunk started peeling in about a week, but now it has progressed to the rest of the exterior of the car. I carefully went over it after it came back from dealer service and took these photos. The original installer stated they could fix it by touching up the parts that are peeling as there is a warranty, but I found a cut mark in the film along with a few spots where the film doesn`t reach the edge is this normal? Can this film be touched up or does it require replacement in your opinion?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I attached a dropbox link as the images weren`t loading or it could be me since I am new to the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6c5se9xbg...ymVJC0_ua?dl=0
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback please. Can this less under 1 year old peeling Xpel Authorized installed PPF be saved or require replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    While they are certain allowances to be made for PPF installs based on the level of `custom` installation done, I`d say many of the pics show some things that I would not be pleased with, notably the cut mark and some of the poor trimming.
    Same opinion here. Even for a "merely semi-custom install" some of that screams "poor workmanship!" to me. The PPF I had on the Yukon XLD wasn`t a "full custom" job, but it was a *lot* better than that (well, it was a fellow Autopian who did the work).

MBi- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about/see your PPF issues, hope the shop will stand behind their work. They really oughta know/do better than what I see in some of those pix.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah looks like not only poor workmanship but possibly bad product. Some unscrupulous installers will be certified by big companies but then use cheaper generic stuff to cut profit.

I believe xpel has a 10 yr warranty that covers delamination. The should fix for free? I’d watch and make sure their using Xpel product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your feedback any particular parts aside from the part with the cut in it and the parts that don`t meet the edge that should be replaced or every part that doesn`t meet the edge of the body line should be? Can the existing film be stretched safely to meet the edges? For example the door handles look like they could be cleaned then touched up. What makes the film bunch up like it did in the front bumper? I had not thought about film being swapped out for a lower quality one but how could one test the film?

Post Thanks / Like

Can the existing film be stretched safely to meet the edges?
    I doubt it but certainly no expert here...

What makes the film bunch up like it did in the front bumper?
    I would guess not enough care taken during install to properly stretch, seat correctly, relief cuts not planned out/implemented...

I had not thought about film being swapped out for a lower quality one but how could one test the film?
    No idea about this one...

Lotsa installers apparently let the vehicle `rest` for a day or 2 after application to insure any edges and such are truly `settled` as things can pop up that are easily fixed at that point. Maybe others don`t.

This pic in particular is (IMO) lack of attention to detail. Free handed cut that is shaky to start with...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I`ll ask them to replace it and reinstall the ceramic coating hopefully they agree. I`ll keep this updated but last time they were busy and it was several weeks before they had a spot available.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Give them one chance to fix it. Then call Expel and tell them about your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually contacted them first to ask for images or a reference guide/ images of what a Proper install that is bulk installed should look like. They wouldn`t provide anything. Just asked for photos and said yes this is a installer issue in regards to the peeling. No comments on the film following the body lines. Definitely will give them a chance to fix it. Not exactly sure what the 10 year warranty covers.

Post Thanks / Like

MBi- Not to rub salt in a wound or anything, but in that pic that BudgetPlan1 posted it looks like you might have a little rust starting. It might just be dirt, but I`d look into that sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

No I appreciate you bringing that up. The cars less than 5 years old so any rust would be covered under the manufacturer warranty. If you guys see anything else any feedback is appreciated even if it`s negative ie rust dings etc that I may have missed.

Post Thanks / Like

No I appreciate you bringing that up. The cars less than 5 years old so any rust would be covered under the manufacturer warranty..
    You`d *THINK* so, huh? Hope your experience goes better than mine did with our last (as in, never again..) Mazda. Eh, depending on what it actually is (if it`s even rust at all), it might be a quick easy-peasy fix with nothing to worry about. But I`d sure look into it sooner rather than later

Note that one of my specific worries would be that they`d blame it on the PPF install, so I`d have a response to that one in mind if/when you bring it to their attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also double check from the picture budgetplan posted if it`s rust. Worst case it`s the PPF installer that has cut away the paint and it started to rust. Or it`s just dirt cought in the lifted PPF. Agree with the others that this is no good workmanship. Give them a shot to fix it. And take up the concerns you have. Some can be just what they are but certainly there is parts where they would have done better.

Especially on the picture budgetplan posted on the lower panel and the top of it. On the right it almost looks like you can see that they have cut down down through the paint edge. You see a change in the grey color and then you see a thin line of white which could be the primer and then it`s almost like rust and dirt where the PPF is lifted. Also some smaller jacks where it seems to be the primer or the base color coat. The same up on the corner of the same panel. I really hope it`s not that they have cut through the paint with the razor blade.

Shout out to the others here with experience with PPF. Should he test with spraying an iron remover on these edges to see if he gets any bleeding effect from those parts? If it`s through the paint and you have rust there the iron remover will be color change to a deep purple color from that that`s looks like rust. But wait to do it before others confirm that you can do this so you don`t stain the PPF and you get the blaim for it.

Hope that they fix it for you either if they need to be reapply the PPF or if they can do it with the one that is on there already. And if they have cut through the paint that they repaint this panel.

/ Tony
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would also double check from the picture budgetplan posted if it`s rust. Worst case it`s the PPF installer that has cut away the paint and it started to rust... it almost looks like you can see that they have cut down down through the paint edge. You see...[how it looks that way].. I really hope it`s not that they have cut through the paint with the razor blade.
    That`s my concern.

Shout out to the others here with experience with PPF. Should he test with spraying an iron remover on these edges to see if he gets any bleeding effect from those parts?
    I wouldn`t really do *anything* except inspect it. And other ferrous contamination might cause the color-change/bleeding and muddy the waters. And while I don`t know about the probability of staining, I`d be in full CYA mode over this just in case it turns into a Blame Game.

And if they have cut through the paint that they repaint this panel.
    After first disassembling things so they can do it right. Sure hope that`s not called for, it`d be a real can-o`-worms even without considering the challenge of color-matching silver.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if I`ve been using the forum wrong but I chose quick reply but my responses haven`t been showing. I`m hoping the rust is just dirt as it follows the line where the PPF ends. The color is Silverlake Blue Metallic and I will keep you updated if this is resolved or what`s discovered once the shop looks at the car again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information