Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback please. Can this less under 1 year old peeling Xpel Authorized installed PPF be saved or require replacement?

MBi- It`s not just you, sometimes some of the stuff I`m trying to do doesn`t work quite right either...but the Forum does work better than at some points in the past I do "Quick Reply" a lot too...mine seems OK, so maybe a Mod will see that you`re having trouble (if not, give one a shout).

Anyhow, I hope everything turns out OK, keeping my fingers crossed that`s not rust after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feedback please. Can this less under 1 year old peeling Xpel Authorized installed PPF be saved or require replacement?

I cant tell for sure but that pic looks like the trunk/back bumper area right?
    If so then that is the bumper cover and cannot be rusting because it is most likely plastic of some sort. No?
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I cant tell for sure but that pic looks like the trunk/back bumper area right?
    If so then that is the bumper cover and cannot be rusting because it is most likely plastic of some sort. No?
    Good point...I revisited that particular pic.

If it is rust, apparent rust stain on the plastic bumper cover would be bleed-down from the adjacent panel. IF it`s just that, or some other kind of contamination, the right product oughta sort it out. IF that`s the case, it`s a lot of contamination getting under the PPF though..not good either way, but maybe not all *that* bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question for you guys. If the cut is indeed in the paint/ clear would it be reasonable to ask the business to pay for another shop to try to fix damage and a refund for the PPF install, have it stripped and redone elsewhere as if they damaged the cars paint/ clear I don`t feel comfortable having them work on it?

Post Thanks / Like

MBi- Theoretically, yes. Practically...cross your fingers that you get any traction with that idea. This sort of thing brings out the, uhm...[self-serving jerk] in a lot of people.

But FWIW, I`d never let those [individuals] touch *my* vehicles again! Yeah, easy for me to expend your resources, but the work they did speaks volumes, all bad news. I doubt it`ll be a case of "OK, this time we`ll let our competent employee work on it and ensure that he does an OK job".

Hope for best, plan on worst comes to mind.

Gee, I`m a real ray of sunshine, huh?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Given the shakiness of the "custom" install and cutting on the car, I wouldn`t be the least bit surprised if they cut the paint in a lot of areas. Lifting in some areas can happen to even the best installers, but not all over the car like this. I see a lot of issues with the install. They should be able to trim back some areas but several of them will need to be replaced.

Where are you located?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Close to Queens. Yes this will be hard to negotiate and deal with.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBi View Post
    Quick question for you guys. If the cut is indeed in the paint/ clear would it be reasonable to ask the business to pay for another shop to try to fix damage and a refund for the PPF install, have it stripped and redone elsewhere as if they damaged the cars paint/ clear I don`t feel comfortable having them work on it?
    One thing for sure is I’d leave reviews on google with pictures. Won’t fix your issues but hopefully will save someone else from going through this. Hopefully cost them business with that shoddy work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes MBi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update and apology to Xpel. The film installed was not Xpel, but STEK. Xpel corporate was very helpful and stated this install wouldn`t be up to their standards and took the time to explain how they would deal with the situation including sending someone to inspect it if it was their product. STEK corporate has been uncooperative and I wouldn`t suggest dealing with them. The shop stated they fired the installer that installed the film for this vehicle, but I still don`t trust them after allowing this quality of work to occur.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

This year the car had full PPF installed along with a ceramic coating by a Xpel Authorized shop. The PPF in the trunk started peeling in about a week, but now it has progressed to the rest of the exterior of the car. I carefully went over it after it came back from dealer service and took these photos. The original installer stated they could fix it by touching up the parts that are peeling as there is a warranty, but I found a cut mark in the film along with a few spots where the film doesn`t reach the edge is this normal? Can this film be touched up or does it require replacement in your opinion?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I attached a dropbox link as the images weren`t loading or it could be me since I am new to the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6c5se9xbg...ymVJC0_ua?dl=0
    I know, this is an old post --- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my experiences with my own personal vehicles with ppf installed, working on Client`s vehicles that had ppf installs, and finally, working in a professional ppf install shop for a couple of years, ALL of your pics show careless, hack-job workmanship.. There are no allowances ever with ppf..

And those cuts in the ppf!!! Did that razor blade cut through to your paintwork ???

The professional ppf work done on my 2009, in 2009, Grand Cherokee is still perfect, no peeling, no cuts in the ppf, no weird stuff anywhere, and this ppf has seen over 40k highway miles through every kind of weather, etc., from the Pacific Northwest, Northern California, to Texas and back many, many, times..

The professional shops have giant machines that cut the pieces to exact size, or they can for custom vehicles, shapes, etc., lay the product on and carefully, cut it to size AND leave a perfect seam that goes UNDER all edges, so it adheres better and there is no chance of it peeling back, etc..

In all the ppf installs I have ever seen in even the last 20 years, I have never seen the absolute hack job you paid for.. I would have never accepted it until it was perfectly applied everywhere..

There is no such thing as a ppf "touch up", etc.., it either is applied perfectly, and if so it will adhere the same, or it is all removed, and re-applied perfectly again, hopefully by someone else, and not these people.. That is my opinion on your vehicle, based on the pics.. If the entire job was done so inaccurately, well then guess what will be happening for the rest of your ownership with this vehicle ?? Totally Unacceptable...

Good luck with this..
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Update and apology to Xpel. The film installed was not Xpel, but STEK. Xpel corporate was very helpful and stated this install wouldn`t be up to their standards and took the time to explain how they would deal with the situation including sending someone to inspect it if it was their product. STEK corporate has been uncooperative and I wouldn`t suggest dealing with them. The shop stated they fired the installer that installed the film for this vehicle, but I still don`t trust them after allowing this quality of work to occur.
    No, you can never trust this Shop ! The installer was an inept, the next person, who "inspected" the work, and let it go out the door was also inept at a higher level..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

In my experiences with my own personal vehicles with ppf installed, working on Client`s vehicles that had ppf installs, and finally, working in a professional ppf install shop for a couple of years, ALL of your pics show careless, hack-job workmanship.. There are no allowances ever with ppf..

And those cuts in the ppf!!! Did that razor blade cut through to your paintwork ???

The professional ppf work done on my 2009, in 2009, Grand Cherokee is still perfect, no peeling, no cuts in the ppf, no weird stuff anywhere, and this ppf has seen over 40k highway miles through every kind of weather, etc., from the Pacific Northwest, Northern California, to Texas and back many, many, times..

The professional shops have giant machines that cut the pieces to exact size, or they can for custom vehicles, shapes, etc., lay the product on and carefully, cut it to size AND leave a perfect seam that goes UNDER all edges, so it adheres better and there is no chance of it peeling back, etc..

In all the ppf installs I have ever seen in even the last 20 years, I have never seen the absolute hack job you paid for.. I would have never accepted it until it was perfectly applied everywhere..

There is no such thing as a ppf "touch up", etc.., it either is applied perfectly, and if so it will adhere the same, or it is all removed, and re-applied perfectly again, hopefully by someone else, and not these people.. That is my opinion on your vehicle, based on the pics.. If the entire job was done so inaccurately, well then guess what will be happening for the rest of your ownership with this vehicle ?? Totally Unacceptable...

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Actually, It`s not that uncommon to have a few areas that may require trimming or a "touch-up" later down the road. Most installers I`ve talked to offer free lifetime touch-ups/trimming.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the followup and everyone`s input I really appreciate it. 100% agree with not going back to the shop and I said the same thing. Even if they subbed out the work for the PPF they are CarPro CQuartz certified and had to apply their product on top of this PPF how did they miss the knife mark and that the film didn`t meet the end of the panels. Other vehicles were done in 3M PPF by the dealer or manufacturer - Ferrari) and never peeled or required a touch up for almost 7 years! My whole issue is if the shop is authorized by the manufacturer of the film then the manufacturer should try to fix the issue when a shop makes a mistake like this. I asked other shops for comment and they agreed on replacing the film and one said some film can be trimmed but it shouldn`t need to be if done right from the beginning. This wasn`t a completely custom install but neither were the other cars but the lines ended at the end of the body lines. Contacted STEK stating either have another shop replace it that`s STEK Authorized or a refund.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst of all all the badges fell off the car in a day! They failed to stick back on the V8s etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Unfortunately I can`t tell if it went through without lifting it, it appears. I certainly hope not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information