Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody else do paint correction a little at a time?

Hey everyone, I was a big detailing enthusiast late in the previous decade. Dues to some changes in my life, for several years I largely stopped detailing cars except for minimal routine cleaning. That changed recently when I bought a 2016 BMW 550i in Carbon Black. This car was the catalyst to reignite my love of auto detailing, and I find myself wanting to spend my spare time polishing paint. Like Richard Griot says, it`s my "garage therapy."

However, I have a full-time job and two part-time jobs, so it`s rare to find the time needed for proper detailing. I can usually find time to squeeze in a thorough washing and interior detail. If I can spend two hours on "garage therapy" it`s a luxury.

For instance, last weekend I had a couple hours and found a really old bottle of Menzerna Final Finish. My BMW`s paint is in reasonably good condition, with a decent overall gloss and a few minor scratches here and there visible under direct sunlight. I grabbled my Porter Cable DA with a LC white pad, and polished the passenger side doors with the Menzerna FF. This combination of light polish on a white pad doesn`t eliminate the scratches on the hard BMW clear coat, but amps up the gloss without removing much of the paint. After that, I hit the entire passenger side with Klasse AIO and topped it with Collinite 845. I did the driver`s side a few weeks ago, the hood and top back in June. Sometimes I use a different AIO or LSP.

Does anybody else use this method of periodic paint correction on their cars? I figure by the end of summer I will have polished everything once, and next spring I`ll start over. For a daily driver I think the car looks great, and I get occasional compliments from strangers.

Does anybody else do paint correction a little at a time?-550i_driveway_medium.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My stable includes a 2019 Toyota Avalon and a 2016 BMW 550i.
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anybody else do paint correction a little at a time?

I tried doing the whole vehicle the first few times but I am a novice and it takes me for ever to do the whole think. So I have started doing the same and I find it much more manageable that way. Instead dreading it and thinking I dont have enough time to do the whole thing so why bother starting. I just say I want to get the hood or door or what ever panel done today and its more relaxing and less overwhelming. I find I do a much better job because I am not tired or rushing while doing it also.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, SWETM, JRW67, RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I work my way around my vehicles. One or two panels at a time. Usually takes me 3 to 4 weekends.
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, JRW67, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with that. This is supposed to be fun! If you try to much at one time, you get tired and your work suffers. Just enjoy the new car!
    Likes Joel_MD, BudgetPlan1, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Joel_MD- Yes indeed! I work very slowly compared to many (most?) here, and these days I can`t always take a given vehicle out of service for too long.

I`ve even split up the Major Correction, Final Polishing, and LSPing of a section into separate days.
    Likes Joel_MD, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I should start doing so. Have been thinking on it before. Since I have a physical disability the full correction has been put off too long now. A panel or 2 would go much easier for me and don`t put it off.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m 76 so I have no choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I can`t remember the last time I did the entire car at one shot. As Mike said, this is supposed to be enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve thought about partial corrections, but have always ended up going all out with a weekend and/or vacation days. I could probably do a better job if I paced a few panels per weekend and do the whole car over a month or two... and save my vacation days that way too.

Post Thanks / Like

I dislike a few panels at a time, so much. Let me just get the entire car polished during the weekend.
    Likes Joel_MD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

About 3 years ago I did 1/3rd of my car and haven`t finished it yet. So yes, I like to do a little at a time lol.
    Likes SWETM, Joel_MD, Tc99m, trashmanssd, Rsurfer and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I dislike a few panels at a time, so much. Let me just get the entire car polished during the weekend.
    Heh heh, if I could do one of ours in one weekend I`d probably do the same. I have to work hard enough to complete (my version of) a Maintenance Wash over a weekend
    Likes Rsurfer liked this post

Thread Information