Post Thanks / Like

McCulloch 1375 Steamer Developing Dark Debri/Scale in Pressure Tank

So, I`ve used this steamer less than ten times and have drained it after every use. I have used non-distilled water in the steamer.
    Two months ago, I noticed scaling, so I poured vinegar in the tank, let it sit overnight, let it heat-up, then drained it. I was amazed how much gunk came out. There was enough to line the sink a few times over. The scale was white and dark grey, nothing else. I`m guessing calcium for the white, but the dark gray matter--that I have no idea what that is. I`m wondering if the pressure tank is made of aluminum, and is corroding and falling apart?
    After a couple cleanings, there is still debris coming out. Is there anything better than vinegar to use here?

Has anyone ran into a situation similar to this before? If so, how did it turn out for you?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McCulloch 1375 Steamer Developing Dark Debri/Scale in Pressure Tank

EXP Detailing --
    So sorry this had to happen to your steamer..

I purchased a VX5000 over 15 years ago, used only distilled water, and have never had an issue one with it..
    It is stainless steel and I am sure that has helped it last this long.
    Have on occasion, run Distilled White Vinegar through it, and it still works great..
    My steamer is really easy to take apart if anything ever goes bad..

Pretty sure it is your non-distilled water that is bad for your steamer..

Perhaps call Mccullough customer service and talk to them about it..
    Is it out of the 2-year warranty ?

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Thanks EXPDetailing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,
    I`ve had this unit about 4 years, so it`s out of warranty, I would guess. I may have to scoup-up a used VX5000 though. I`ve heard lots of good feedback on it from others.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXPDetailing View Post
    Hi Dan,
    I`ve had this unit about 4 years, so it`s out of warranty, I would guess. I may have to scoup-up a used VX5000 though. I`ve heard lots of good feedback on it from others.
    EXPDetailing -

Too bad its out of warranty..
    My VX5000 has had a LOT of hours on it over all those years and it has never had a problem..
    Lots of accessories, I think even more than the Mac, but for vehicles I only use the triangular brush and the 1 steamer nozzle that has 2 controls on it..

I always steam everything especially in German cars including the trunk, and then run the HP60 Mytee Extractor over all the carpets, mats..

Always like the VX5000 with just the hand nozzle to help blow out all the door to body hinge jamb areas that sometimes have a lot of vegetation, etc., in there with a lot dirt.. I will just steam it to get it all wet, then spray my Meguiars APC+ in there for a minute or two and then just steam blast it all clean..

The VX has I believe 100psi which may be low to some people, but I have never had an issue doing what I do with it..
    Yes, it will not be able to do like full on exterior washing of a vehicle but who would want to do that anyway unless you have one of those huge industrial steam cleaners like used in food places, etc., ?

My pressure washer that is a Devilbiss gas powered unit takes up all the power wash anything duties, and it has also never failed and always get to clean engine compartments and engines, underhoods, etc..

Well, I hope you get this all worked out..

The VX5000 man who sold me mine back in 2004 I believe, is a really nice guy to talk to, and he knows absolutely everything there is to know about the unit..
    Perhaps he may have some demo models or used ones, etc..?

Good luck, man !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan!
    I`ve never noticed you are far, far away in Austria!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan!
    Only the picture, not the man.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I`ve used this steamer less than ten times and have drained it after every use. I have used non-distilled water in the steamer.
    Two months ago, I noticed scaling, so I poured vinegar in the tank, let it sit overnight, let it heat-up, then drained it. I was amazed how much gunk came out. There was enough to line the sink a few times over. The scale was white and dark grey, nothing else. I`m guessing calcium for the white, but the dark gray matter--that I have no idea what that is. I`m wondering if the pressure tank is made of aluminum, and is corroding and falling apart?
    After a couple cleanings, there is still debris coming out. Is there anything better than vinegar to use here?

Has anyone ran into a situation similar to this before? If so, how did it turn out for you?

Your issue is in bold. You really need to be using DI water in that steamer, it`s cheap insurance as a gallon of DI is less than a dollar when you go to pick up your groceries.

There are chemicals that can remove heavier scaling, Back-Set by RoMix comes to mind. However, Back-Set was designed to remove ultra heavy mineral deposits such as set concrete. It would have to be diluted and NOT heated to remove the gunk in the steamer, and thoroughly rinsed out, multiple times, like six or seven times. The slightest trace of chemical can reactivate and spread.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan!
    I WISH I lived off of Swan Lake in Hallstatt, Austria !!
    Have always loved the story based on the ballet by Tchaikovsky.

That particular picture was taken by a really nice couple, John and Debbie Scanlan, who travel the world taking awesome photographs of some beautiful places..

I met them a few times at the annual art show in Bellevue, WA., and they are really great at what they photograph, often taking days standing out there, to just get the perfect lighting, wind, and in this case glass smooth water.. If you want to sometime "take a trip and never leave the farm" you may love their work..

I had many of their framed pictures when I was married and now only have one of
    Lofoten wall, Lofoten, Norway..

Yeah, I did have that beautiful picture in my avatar of Swan Lake once.. The url for these incredible photographers is scanlan dot com..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with above posts. The debris/scale in the tank is the dissolved solids that are in tap water. The steamer boils away ONLY the water, leaving the rest behind to build up inside the boiler. Vinegar should do the trick to remove it (may take a few rounds).

Keep distilled water on hand. I usually buy 10 or so gallons at a time at the grocery store when I go. Usually get it for $.89/gal. Distilled water isn`t perfect however, you will still want to clean the boiler out occasionally, just FAR LESS frequently. I use only distilled water in my Daimer steamer and am surprised at how much comes out when I flush the tank out (usually after a few months of daily use)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    .. I use only distilled water in my Daimer steamer..
    I use tap water in my 1500C, and/but one day that might bite me in a big way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I use tap water in my 1500C, and/but one day that might bite me in a big way
    My machines manual says tap water is fine but requires flushing out much more often if tap water is used. I believe the boiler is self cleaning isn`t it?

I don`t use tap water because our municipal water source is from a well so pretty much every home in my area has a water softener, which means there is trace amounts of salt in the tap water

Post Thanks / Like

I should probably flush mine even though I always use distilled water. Do you just add distilled vinegar and heat the unit up?
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    My machines manual says tap water is fine but requires flushing out much more often if tap water is used. I believe the boiler is self cleaning isn`t it?
    I don`t recall reading that in my 1500C`s manual, but I haven`t looked at it for years. I dunno just how "self-cleaning" it could be, or how that would supposedly work.

I don`t use tap water because our municipal water source is from a well so pretty much every home in my area has a water softener, which means there is trace amounts of salt in the tap water
    Ours is softened, and/but the sodium ions haven`t been a problem other than being hard on African Violets.

Thread Information