Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Home windows using Rain-X

Has anyone ever tried Rain-X or a Rain-X type product on Home Windows ? Thank you for any comments. Was wondering if it would help the dirt and water spots come off easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home windows using Rain-X

Years ago I think I used Vanilla Moose on my outside windows, back when I had more time for frivolity. I`m sure Rain-X would make things easier to clean, for a while.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Years ago I think I used Vanilla Moose on my outside windows, back when I had more time for frivolity...
    Heh heh, I loved that!

I`m sure Rain-X would make things easier to clean, for a while.
    IME RainX (not hating on it, have it on the Crown Vic`s windshield at present) cleans off kinda easily, so when you clean those windows you might be back to square-one. I can get one or two good cleanings in before my RainX needs redone.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for the great info... I`m gonna give it a thought and maybe try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot or one window only and see if it`s worth it. I will be testing Turtle Wax Clear Veu which is like the Rain-X. Just forgets to do it LOL. But have also thought of useing any of the coating toppers and especially the spray on rinse off coating product like Gyeon Wet Coat as the longevity on the side windows on the cars is very good. And lasts longer than on paint for some reason.

Tell us how it goes if you testing it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this on the front picture window once when we lived in Michigan. The key word in that sentence is once. It made for a long summer of window cleaning. Instead of a even layer of dust. You would end up with a dust leopard print on the window. Granted it was easy to clean, but I was cleaning it weekly because it looked so bad. The home windows don`t get that good even rinsing rain the car windows get. So what in theory sounded good didn`t pan out in reality for me. I agree with swetm in that try one window first and see if you like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Water spots are water spots: if you get them from acid rain or from lawn irrigation, nothing will prevent them from forming. I know that while Rain-X might seem like a good "coating" or treatment for a window, just remember that it forms beads and not so much a sheeting action (AKA, flattened thin film) of water. If you find a window cleaner that gets the water to sheen or sheet, let us know.

For cleaning water spots off home windows, I assume any good automotive water spot remover would work. You could try the old homemade remedy of washing with vinegar and distilled water. I had (past tense, ran out) Meg`s Consumer Line Water Spot Remover for using on car windows that worked OK. It was terrible on paint and would swirl clear-coat, hence it was demoted to using on glass ONLY. I have OPT Mineral Remover, but that requires a second cleaning, like another wash (their Opti-Clean) on paint, OR a glass cleaner for glass.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Water spots are water spots: if you get them from acid rain or from lawn irrigation, nothing will prevent them from forming. I know that while Rain-X might seem like a good "coating" or treatment for a window, just remember that it forms beads and not so much a sheeting action of water.

For cleaning water spots off home windows, I assume any good automotive water spot remover would work. I had (past tense, ran out) Meg`s Consumer Line Water Spot Remover for using on car windows that worked OK. It was terrible on paint and would swirl clear-coat, hence it was demoted to using on glass ONLY. I have OPT Mineral Remover, but that requires a second cleaning, like another wash (their Opti-Clean) on paint, OR a glass cleaner for glass.

May be less expensive window coating (like McKee`s 37)??

It wasn`t really water spots per say. It was the dust being gathered by the water beads and concentrating it into spots. Not mineral deposits.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product that Soft 99 has for the side mirrors. There is useally like vacuum. So they have developed a high sheeting product that is like a great run off ability. Have thought of useing it on mirrors and on the mirrors in the bathroom. Would be interesting to test it out. It`s very little product when you buy it so maybe not something to use on the windows. But an interesting and unusual product.
    Likes Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A interesting observation today while hive the car a quick wash. 1200 mile round trip to KC got the front of the car really covered in bugs. So I mixed up a 10:1 of superior rage shell and bug remover. Used it on the front bumper, front edge of hood, windshield, and front edge of the roof above the windshield.

Now the observation. Where I used it on the paint with CMX, It stripped it bare. I expected it to strip the RainX off the windshield, it didn`t though. The RainX has been on for a month now. The CMX for a week.

I know on the side and rear glass RainX lasts me up to six months. On the windshield not as long. My thoughts are that abrasion by the wipers is by far the biggest issue. I`m amazed by its chemical resistance.

That`s sad I forgot the pictures.

IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- Maybe my experiences with RainX being washed off so easily are related to the Zep40 I typically use. I still wouldn`t use it on my house windows though, but then I`m always cleaning such stuff anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d just wash the windows with TW ICE Wash and Wax, nice OTC wash that leaves some decent beading behind.

(and yes I`m starting to sound like a shill for TW)
    Likes MattPersman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    ... I`m starting to sound like a shill for TW..
    Their ICE line seems to get a lot of positive comments! I`m actually kinda glad to see that they`ve upped their game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Their ICE line seems to get a lot of positive comments! I`m actually kinda glad to see that they`ve upped their game.
    Yeah, TW can produce a good product when they want to. Their old Platinum line was very good as well. I do feel funny using Turtle Wax as an autopian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    .. I do feel funny using Turtle Wax as an autopian.
    Heh heh, I bet that`s what a lot of vendors are counting on
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information