Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read about chalking and rights to your private property

I, like many fellow autopians, probably hate when anyone touches your car. I found this article interesting because the courts found touching the car to mark the tires was in fact illegal.

According to the court, the parking enforcement officer — a local government employee — trespassed on Taylor’s car “because the City made intentional physical contact with Taylor’s vehicle.” The court found that the chalking was an “attempt to find something or to obtain information” from the car — albeit in a low-tech way — specifically to determine if the vehicle has “been parked in the same location for a certain period of time.”

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/24/ch...onstitutional/
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting read about chalking and rights to your private property

I`d be livid, but I`d give some thought to how fighting it would compare with redoing the tire (well, tires since I`d have to do all four for uniformity). Think I`d just never park there again.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard about this yesterday. I’m sure glad there’s nothing but parking lots to park in in my area so no need to chalk.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

That town has to install parking meters now to help identify which cars have overstayed.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been going on for a while now (forget when I first saw it, but I do remember it was yellow or white chalk), but not in my area.

Eh, it`s in the same category as fining people for putting coins in somebody else`s meter. While it`s ostensibly about fairness, to keep parking available for customers, IMO that`s just an excuse for another $-grab. Heh heh, I`m sure I`d feel differently if I had a shop in that area!

We went through something along these lines at the U, when the parking deck`s condition forced me to park at a meter all day and feed it between classes. I wasn`t "taking a space from another customer" in a retail area, so I didn`t feel guilty about it. Not sure I *would`ve* felt guilty anyhow...but I probably would`ve just moved the car to another block now and then, assuming I could find a space.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I’m surprised they didn’t have special faculty hang tags and parking spots for you. My universities do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d be livid, but I`d give some thought to how fighting it would compare with redoing the tire (well, tires since I`d have to do all four for uniformity). Think I`d just never park there again.
    I`d keep parking but load my tires down with so much tire grease that it would laugh at the chalk. Who cares about sling when you are fighting the man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Wow I’m surprised they didn’t have special faculty hang tags and parking spots for you. My universities do.
    They did, but the Faculty areas during our last few years weren`t the kind of places where we`d park our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I`d keep parking but load my tires down with so much tire grease..
    Heh heh, that might indeed work! Not that I could live with the look, let alone sling...I wonder about Tire Coatings though, maybe those would do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. I’m so particular about where I park, I’ve been known to park *three* parking lots away from where my destination was. Parking at the university was an event to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

The story I read said that they had only collected about $7000 per year from the meter maid doing this. Doesn`t even cover her salary.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may not be a popular sentiment, but the fact that a trivial issue like this is brought to court is just another sign of the demise of our country. Another rule that people know they don`t have to comply with. The slope gets slipperier every day.
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White
    Likes grisby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After giving this some thought, I`ve sorta changed my view and realized that I`m kinda sympathetic to those who want the Limited Parking Time enforced. I just don`t want chalk on my tires so they oughta find another way to enforce it.

My wife patronizes a downtown business whose service is essential to her and where nearby on-street parking is basically the only option. If she can`t find a spot she has to skip it and come back another day. It absolutely impacts her life, and costs the business in question $ (and yeah, the owner gripes about it and considers leaving Downtown). He`s a good guy, providing a good service that`s increasingly hard to find, and he helps keep the Downtown area going. If he goes out of business she`ll be driving to another city instead of making a short detour on her way to tutor, and our city will have another vacant storefront.

Quote Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
    I know this may not be a popular sentiment, but the fact that a trivial issue like this is brought to court is just another sign of the demise of our country...
    Noting that people have decried the "demise of country/society/etc." since forever (it was old news when the Ancient Greeks griped about it), and that I consider the USA far too robust to really come crashing down...

How so? I think it`s good that a questionable practice is being run through the Court System and gauged by its constitutionality..isn`t that how it`s supposed to work? Questionable laws oughta be debated in court.

It`s a Constitutional Issue related to the 4th Amendment (although to Autopians it might just be about messed up tires), and the C/BoR is what I expect to keep this country afloat. I take potential violations of the BoR very seriously and want them debated by legal scholars.

Another rule that people know they don`t have to comply with. The slope gets slipperier every day.
    People oughta comply, those who won`t oughta pay the price. IF moving my car is/isn`t worth the fine to me, then that`s my choice and I accept the chance of a pricey fine. If I were a merchant in an area with limited parking, I bet I wouldn`t consider it trivial at all.

Heh heh, if every such ticket resulted in the car being Booted and a $500 fine, I bet people would start obeying it!

I agree that the whole "rules people don`t have to comply with" is a serious societal problem (IMO Prohibition negatively altered this country, perhaps forever).. but isn`t the answer to that to either enforce laws fairly or change them? If *everybody* has to obey a law, it might get more serious consideration.

I mean...it`s a hassle, but people oughta obey the "limited parking time rules". If that`s what`s posted, then that`s that; don`t like it, then go through the motions to get it changed. I just don`t want my tires messed up and/but I see the A4 issues; given today`s Tech they could just take a pic instead and avoid those. I see it as exactly the same as parking at an expired meter...would I do it if I lacked the change? Quite probably. And if that cost me a lot of $ due to a fine then that`s what I get for being a scofflaw.

The story I read said that they had only collected about $7000 per year from the meter maid doing this. Doesn`t even cover her salary.
    I see that as a feature, a sign that the law might be based on the right things, rather than just being a moneymaker. It`s supposed to be about Parking Space Turnover being beneficial to local merchants, *NOT* about making money. Laws are *NEVER* supposed to be about making money (yeah, I know.. ) but rather about benefiting society by preventing harm to others (in this case, the merchants whose customers can`t find a place to park).

As always, I hope the above doesn`t come across as a contentious rant

Post Thanks / Like

I have only seen the chalking on the tread of the tire not the side walls. Not going to be an issue as far as a detailing freak is concerned as it will wear off on driving or moisture

They do it in my town’s downtown area during the week and 9-5 because people who work at offices there (which have slightly further away parking lots) will try to park in the businesses parking spots that are for customers and leave there car for 8 or more hours. So as a business owner you get quite upset that your customer can not find a spot or has to park way away to give you money. It is a real problem in some areas.

Now regarding the chalking. It’s a real low tech way to do it and realistically it has to be documented still electronically when you chalked the tire. Couldn’t it be a picture instead of the vehicle in the spot at a certain time. The person who owns the car could claim they left and came back to the same spot a little later renewing their time I suppose. But one could also spray the chalk off or drive back and forth to remove or reposition the chalk mark too

It’s one of those I’m not sure the best solution. Meters are an option but then you are forcing everyone that even wants to pop in a business real quick to pay. But I suppose a business owner could give them a quarter back after a deal is made for validation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    I have only seen the chalking on the tread of the tire not the side walls...
    Ah, that`d be different! I`ve only seen it right on the sidewall..like, "oh man, glad that isn`t my car!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, that`d be different! I`ve only seen it right on the sidewall..like, "oh man, glad that isn`t my car!"
    Agreed, on the tread makes more sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information