Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting read about chalking and rights to your private property

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Agreed, on the tread makes more sense.
    We chalk at work and sometimes don`t even touch the tire - we mark the front and back of the same tire so we know if the vehicle hasn`t been moved. We then take a picture. However, we only chalk for vehicles that haven`t been moved for days or longer. Our downtown/business area is handled with meters.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator: No "contentious rant" observed by me. I agree totally that "if you do the crime, you do the time". But the idea of people complaining about chalk on the tread of their tires seems a little over the top to me. And, not for nothing, why does every little thing have to be taken to court today? I`m telling anyone that will listen that, in twenty years, we will look back fondly at the "good old days". I worry for my grandchildren. I am very sorry to say this, but that`s how I see it.
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
    But the idea of people complaining about chalk on the tread of their tires seems a little over the top to me. And, not for nothing, why does every little thing have to be taken to court today? I`m telling anyone that will listen that, in twenty years, we will look back fondly at the "good old days". I worry for my grandchildren. I am very sorry to say this, but that`s how I see it.
    It`s funny that overlooked the fact that for once a court upheld private property rights instead of some bull```` about a car parked in public is free to be manhandled, at least on the outside.

Now if the courts actually made tow companies accountable for the damage and theft that is common, I`d be inclined to say things are looking up, actually.

Post Thanks / Like

DAC17- With so much of what we do already being recorded and archived, I guess I don`t mind any further trips down that road be run through the Court System.

While chalk on the *tread* of my tire wouldn`t be a Detailing dilemma, somebody tracking my vehicle without cause is something I don`t want. Note that I will *NOT* have a car with OnStar/GPS/etc. for the same reason and no I benerally don`t carry a (turned-on) Cell Phone/etc. with me for the same reason.

I`d rather have a Court have to toss out some frivolous lawsuits now and then than have unwarranted observation or tracking become any more mainsteamed. So I want every potential invasion of my privacy run through the Courts, in hope that will at least slow it down.

Just another of those things where I might be all alone on my side of the fence, but an interesting discussion nonetheless

Eh, I guess I knee-jerk a bit about "everything ending up in court" ever since I read the details of the (in)famous "Hot Coffee Lawsuit" and found out that it was a genuinely serious injury that was well *worth* taking to court. People acted like it was no biggie, but it was; I would`ve sued the [crap] outta them too, and I bet anybody else would`ve too, if only to cover the medical bills.

And/but, I do think back to the days before everything got recorded/tracked/etc. as being "the good old days" in at least that regard! There`s too [darned] little privacy these days. So we at least agree on that part!

Dan- Heh heh..vehicles being manhandled...the risk of my vehicles getting impounded (gee, do people think a car will come through that in Autopian conditon?!?) was perhaps the primary reason why I quit, uhm....doing certain things...behind the wheel. Getting taken into custody is one thing, and plenty bad enough, but having my car [messed] with is another matter entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator!! Don`t carry a c-phone with you?? Don`t have a GPS?? I KNEW there must be a reason why I like you. I will never disparage you spit shining your leaf springs again.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh

While waiting for my eye to heal up so I could drive again I did have to carry the Cell (so I could call my wife for a ride), but it`s a dumb one and I kept it turned off otherwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information