Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Arizona Registration

Just a heads up.
    Arizona vehicle registrations are already some of the highest in the country, now this. I may have to change my residency to South Dakota. I imagine this includes RV`s but do not know for sure.

Public Safety Fee going into effect
    Fee to be collected during vehicle-registration process

Beginning Dec. 1, Arizona motorists expecting vehicle registration renewals will see a new Public Safety Fee. The fee was established by state law to support public safety and Highway Patrol operations. The fee goes into effect for registrations due in January which can be paid as early as Dec. 1, and immediately for newly registered vehicles.

The fee will be collected during the vehicle-registration process administered by the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division. Arizona statute established the method for collecting the fee and sets the process for determining the amount based on a formula designed to support Highway Patrol operations.

Highway Patrol operations — among the most visible functions of the Arizona Department of Public Safety — include response to collisions on Arizona highways, enforcing state laws designed to keep the motoring public safe, arresting impaired drivers, assisting motorists in distress, air-rescue operations and patrolling more than 6,800 miles of highways.

Most motorists will pay $32 per vehicle, per year. Street-legal golf carts and primarily off-highway vehicles will pay $5. Those who register a vehicle annually or pay for a two- or five-year registration will pay the entire amount up front for each registered year.

The funds raised through the Public Safety Fee will not only provide necessary dollars for public safety, but will advance maintenance and construction of Arizona’s highway infrastructure, including the state’s Key Commerce Corridors that support economic development around the state.

Over the past decade, much of the Highway Patrol’s budget was considered part of the Arizona Highway User Revenue Fund, the gas-tax account that supports Arizona roadways, including law-enforcement support. The new $32 Public Safety Fee will allow gas-tax money to support roadway maintenance and construction, while providing a different source of funding for Highway Patrol operations.

For more information: www.azdot.gov/mvd.

For details on the enabling legislation, visit: https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/53leg/2R/laws/0265.pdf.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Arizona Registration

Sounds like another BS tax. The state already taxes gas to pay for infrastructure why not just raise the gas tax 1 cent? I hate any new tax to pay for something where there is already a tax in place. Doesn’t make sense.
    Likes BadgerRivFan, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just raise ticket fines?

Post Thanks / Like

More $$ for the politicians to steal for their cronies.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Try living in Washington state!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guessing you have someone in South Dakota whose address you can use? I mean you`re not going to up and move over $32?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t some states have the license plate fees tied to the value of the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

In GA you pay everything up front. When you purchase a vehicle you pay an ad valorem tax of 7% of the vehicles price. Where they really screw you is on used cars. They have their own “black book” of vehicle values, so it doesn’t matter if you get a great deal or not. You never recoup that tax. If you keep the car for a year and buy a different car you pay the tax again and again and again every time you buy a different vehicle. It discourages people from trading cars every few years. After you pay the ad valorem tax it’s just a $5 fee each year for registration.

100% disabled Veterans get a break. We get one vehicle tax free. I’ve got four cars, one I didn’t have to pay taxes on. I keep waiting for them to repeal this “gift”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Don`t some states have the license plate fees tied to the value of the vehicle?
    Yes Az. is one of them. The thing I do not care for is the state just slapping this one on residents, no vote no say in the matter. When I was working I would work a little extra to pay for things like this. Being retired on a fixed income I do not think Social Security is going to help with this. You always see the stories how the elderly have to make decisions between medicine and food but this is just $32.00 I will not have for something else. Seems we had quite a ruccus with England doing things like this.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m guessing you have someone in South Dakota whose address you can use? I mean you`re not going to up and move over $32?
    There are mail forwarding places in South Dakota, Texas and Florida a lot of snowbirds, retired people use. They issue you a street address, change your drivers license, vehicle registrations and you are now a resident of that state. Now that we are retired and on a fixed income we watch our spending quite closely as working extra is not an option and up charges like this just take a little more.

Dave
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hear your pain DavidC. As a AZ resident too, who is also legally retired, I have a different thought though. I have friends who live in New England and the property taxes they pay are off the charts. As an overall %, we in AZ pay less taxes than many others. I still do part time work, so this one won`t bite me too bad. I have a friend in CT who pays about 20k a year in property taxes. Crap, I`d move if I had that tax.
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I hear your pain DavidC. As a AZ resident too, who is also legally retired, I have a different thought though. I have friends who live in New England and the property taxes they pay are off the charts. As an overall %, we in AZ pay less taxes than many others. I still do part time work, so this one won`t bite me too bad. I have a friend in CT who pays about 20k a year in property taxes. Crap, I`d move if I had that tax.
    Yeah, I know a guy in Maine that paid $1200 for his first year of registration. While in Pa. my Mom and Dad were paying $3500 for property taxes and that was before 1972 so I can only imagine what it is now. When I moved here in 1977 property tax was $350ish. If people do not start complaining these politicians will just keep tacking this kind of stuff on. They may even if the complaining happens but that is what voting is all about if you can find an honest candidate. Anyway I did my part with the complaining on this new fee. So far I have not heard back from my supposed Representatives (imagine that). When we retired we kept our registrations here as I was going to change everything to another location for financial survival, this back handed move has me thinking about it again.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    There are mail forwarding places in South Dakota, Texas and Florida a lot of snowbirds, retired people use. They issue you a street address, change your drivers license, vehicle registrations and you are now a resident of that state. Now that we are retired and on a fixed income we watch our spending quite closely as working extra is not an option and up charges like this just take a little more.

Dave
    They are cracking down here on people using the “S. Dakota option” to register their cars. Hitting them with back taxes and fines. I’m not sure how insurance companies are dealing with the vehicle registered in one state but residing in one state thing. If you have the money to buy an exotic you should also have the money to pay taxes on it. It shouldn’t be another exemption for the rich.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    They are cracking down here on people using the “S. Dakota option” to register their cars. Hitting them with back taxes and fines. I’m not sure how insurance companies are dealing with the vehicle registered in one state but residing in one state thing. If you have the money to buy an exotic you should also have the money to pay taxes on it. It shouldn’t be another exemption for the rich.
    Every state has it`s own laws. However,I can see an insurance company refusing to pay a claim if a person falsified the vehicle`s registration information.
    I wouldn`t be surprised if the policies define registration requirements.

Property damage, probably not that big of a deal. Millions of dollars in personal liability damages are another story.

Insurance companies throw nickels around like manhole covers. And they have DEEP pockets with armies of lawyers on staff.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

South Dakota started doing that for more federal tax dollars based on population. It was intended to attract those living the nomadic lifestyle. Be it the rv, van life, etc. Those people needed a easy why when not having any permanent residence. Like so many things it gets abused till it ruins it for those it was intended to help.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, DBAILEY liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information