Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Detail Guardz Dirt Lock Bucket Insert

This popped up in one of the SEMA videos...what do you guys think of this thing? I`d post a YouTube link but I`m not sure if that`s allowed--I imagine some time this item will be in the ACC store because they already sell another Detail Guardz product under the Speedmaster brand.

Anyway, this is another better moustrap Grit Guard, with cyclone holes or something. There`s enough argument about whether a Grit Guard works...I`m not sure this "patented" new device is really any better...they have a video showing a handful of grit that winds up in the bottom of the bucket, but I think most of that is gravity and would also stay at the bottom of the bucket with a regular Grit Guard.

Anybody see this or have any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail Guardz Dirt Lock Bucket Insert

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    ..they have a video showing a handful of grit that winds up in the bottom of the bucket, but I think most of that is gravity and would also stay at the bottom of the bucket with a regular Grit Guard.

Anybody see this or have any opinions?
    if by "they" you mean Detail Guardz... I saw that video. I noticed they changed the camera angle after dumping the handful of grit/dirt. And it seemed to me like it was not the same time frame. More like camera magic.

I hate to be that guy that is Negative Nancy.

I also saw another video, from Apex Detail, and it`s as clear as mud [pun]. His video is straight up, with no different camera angles and what not. In his example, you can clearly see the water isn`t clean above the Dirt Lock; rather, some cloudiness is still very much above the Dirt Lock.

In my own personal experience, I felt confident that the GG did a decent job of keeping the water [fairly] cleaner above the GG line, and seemed to keep the dirt below.

On other occasions, I`ve seen a cloudy mess above the GG line.

It`s why I`ve moved on from GG and 2 bucket washing. I prefer a multiple mitt method. I have 8 (on average) mitts I use, with additional mitts on reserve.
    (Granted, that`s only *when* I`m not doing a rinseless wash, or the coin-op wash. Thanks California water restrictions).
    Likes DBAILEY, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would need to use something like a clear acrylic bucket and observe it in action to really tell how much is being separated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    In my own personal experience, I felt confident that the GG did a decent job of keeping the water [fairly] cleaner above the GG line, and seemed to keep the dirt below. On other occasions, I`ve seen a cloudy mess above the GG line.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I think you would need to use something like a clear acrylic bucket and observe it in action to really tell how much is being separated.
    The DetailGuardz video did have a clear bucket. As Jesus alluded to, heavy stuff is going to sink, light stuff is going to float, I don`t see anything in this "patented" guard that keeps floating stuff from floating back up through the holes...I mean it`s not like the passages have a rubber check valve on them so when you push down the particles go through, but nothing can come back the other way. I mean if you`re pushing water down through it, which is what they tell you to do to "separate" the dirt, some other water is going to have to come up, unless that guy Archimedes was all messed up.

If the down-going passages had a check valve on them, and the up going passages had a screen, then we`d be getting somewhere.

Ah heck, I`m going to post the link--Gearhead, go gentle on me if this was illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQOz_k4NYr0
    Likes JustJesus, DBAILEY liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The DetailGuardz video did have a clear bucket. As Jesus alluded to, heavy stuff is going to sink, light stuff is going to float, I don`t see anything in this "patented" guard that keeps floating stuff from floating back up through the holes...I mean it`s not like the passages have a rubber check valve on them so when you push down the particles go through, but nothing can come back the other way. I mean if you`re pushing water down through it, which is what they tell you to do to "separate" the dirt, some other water is going to have to come up, unless that guy Archimedes was all messed up.

If the down-going passages had a check valve on them, and the up going passages had a screen, then we`d be getting somewhere.

Ah heck, I`m going to post the link--Gearhead, go gentle on me if this was illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQOz_k4NYr0
    You’re fine Setec, it isn’t directly to a site that sells product.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My daily driver get two bucket wash with grit guards and a boars hair tri head brush (yes I have had it with trying to keep my truck autopian levels of scratch free, it get some scratches its a truck and its getting traded in every 5 years It still looks better then 95 percent of cars on the road). My garage queen I have gone with the multiple towels (same as I use for rinseless) method and not re applying a used towel or re dipping a towel in my wash bucket. This works great when cars to dirty for true rinseless or waterless wash. I power washer rinse first then foam and go around with the multiple fresh towels for the washing that are soaked with soapy and rinsless wash mix solution from clean bucket then I toss dirty ones into a bucket with just water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    It`s why I`ve moved on from GG and 2 bucket washing. I prefer a multiple mitt method. I have 8 (on average) mitts I use, with additional mitts on reserve.
    I`m in the same boat...one bucket, multiple mitts....once used they do not touch the vehicle again
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I`m not gonna watch the video, so I guess I won`t comment. Though I do use some kind of Insert(s) in my buckets and see evidence that they provide a benefit. But I sure wouldn`t expect too much out of any such setup.

[Real reason for posting follows:]

Setec Astronomy- Heh heh, props for the Archimedes quip.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw their booth at SEMA, or someone similar, and just thought it was a gimmick and moved on. I did ask the Grit Guard guys if anything new was coming out and they said no.

Post Thanks / Like

There is some science behind this. I believe the key is the pumping action and whatever the suggested amount of times you do it. It’s kinda forcing the suspended particles to the bottom much faster than gravity alone would do. Will it work??? Yes but doubtful it’s 100%. Certainly better than any other system currently available as far as grit guard type products. Fluid dynamics is kinda crazy sometimes. Check out a Tesla check valve if you wanna see what I mean about kinda crazy....
    Likes DetailZeus, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So do most people use such stuff in the Rinse or Shampoo buckets (or both)?

I somehow had the notion that I`m unusual in reusing the Shampoo buckets for multiple washes, figuring that most people mix up a new batch every time.

What about RW-mix buckets? I treat those like my Shampoo ones, reusing/adding to them for ages.

With the Rinse buckets, I just like having the Washboard/equivalent to agitate my media against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I somehow had the notion that I`m unusual in reusing the Shampoo buckets for multiple washes, figuring that most people mix up a new batch every time.

What about RW-mix buckets? I treat those like my Shampoo ones, reusing/adding to them for ages.

With the Rinse buckets, I just like having the Washboard/equivalent to agitate my media against.
    Personally, I use a grit guard and the wash board attachment thing in every bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Personally, I use a grit guard and the wash board attachment thing in every bucket.
    I don`t have any Inserts at all in my Tire bucket. I have GG + WB in my Undercarriage bucket (only used after initial cleaning has already been done).

Only have the improvised WBs in my Rectangular (Griot`s) Rinse buckets (none in the Primary Shampoo buckets or Primary RW bucket), doubt I`ll bother fabbing up anything else as I don`t see any need.

My others: Rinse buckets have Cyclones, GG, and WB; (other) Shampoo/RW buckets have Cyclones and GG only.

Yes, I can use a *LOT* of buckets during a given wash Guess it`d be pretty many even without the redundant systems on each side of the washbay..

EDIT: Gee, I had to edit the above numerous times just to keep it all straight myself!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I only use the GG`s in the Rinse bucket, whether doing a Soap wash or a Rinsless wash - there is a gallon of wasted wash water if I use them in Wash bucket.

As for reusing Wash water, I only do that if I am Rinseless washing both our vehicles the same day - keep the Wash water, but change the Rinse water.
    I like the Washboard for scrubbing the brush while cleaning the wheels at the end of the wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I only use the GG`s in the Rinse bucket, whether doing a Soap wash or a Rinsless wash - there is a gallon of wasted wash water if I use them in Wash bucket. ..
    You mean that there`s not enough room, so you have to use a gallon less? Sorry, I must be dense today
    As for reusing Wash water, I only do that if I am Rinseless washing both our vehicles the same day - keep the Wash water, but change the Rinse water.
    I might be weird about reusing it for so long, but since even the *Rinse* stays nice and clean I figure it`s OK. I`m already going through a *LOT* of shampoo what with the foamguns, maybe a pint of shampoo per vehicle or even more (at least two gallons of foamgun concentrate, ~7oz. shampoo each).

I like the Washboard for scrubbing the brush while cleaning the wheels at the end of the wash.
    Ah, interesting that you do the wheels last!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information