Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Wiper judder caused by glass coatings

Just throwing this out there. I have ran Mc Kess glass coating for years without any real issue. Lately the last few blade changes with good blades, I have noticed some judder. Blades just not moving smooth across the windshield. Bothered me enough to look into it. Similar thread over at AG. My blades etc.. are in good working order. So I decided to strip the windshield clean. I read any good polish will do this. So I had Mc Kess coating prep polish on hand. Did two complete cleanings by hand. Figured it has to be stripped now. Wipers worked 100% better. I have read that sometimes the coating works too good producing the judder. For now it`s clean and I don`t think I will be putting anything else on the windshield. Your thoughts on this subject?

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...r-chatter.html
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wiper judder caused by glass coatings

The angle of the windshield, the airflow over the windshield and the tension on the wiper arms are what make a glass coating work on one car and wiper chatter on another. Its is also easy to end up twisting the wiper arm installing blades so that the wiper angle to the window changes which affects the way it glides.

Some blades have a high silicone rubber content that can leave a residue on the glass that could impact the coating. I question whether M37 Coating prep could remove a glass coating. You may have just really cleaned the existing coating. Did the windshield act like it didn`t have a coating on it anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

It did act like the coating was removed.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using PBL Glass Coating since it came out and never had any wiper judder on any of my vehicles. The only time I had judder was on my wife’s car, but it was from worn blades. Some coatings for paint are “grabby” or not as slick as others so I would think that some glass coatings are slicker than others. I like PBL, it lasts 6+ months and is cheap and easy to apply. I’ve got some PA Glass Coating but I’ve been too lazy to apply it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I don`t list glass coatings as an offering on my web page. I`ll apply if asked but let them know wiper chatter may happen later down the road.
    Likes Stokdgs, dchristo liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    This is why I don`t list glass coatings as an offering on my web page. I`ll apply if asked but let them know wiper chatter may happen later down the road.

I agree and stopped offering glass coatings years ago. I’ll occasionaly use rain x. But that’s about it

In the past I have found reload on top of Carpro fly by 30 eliminates most of this issue but can’t comment on how long it worked.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only used RainX (and yes indeed, I`m well aware of its various shortcomings!), but IME/IMO it`s a matter of all the previously mentioned variables...you just don`t know what`ll happen.

BUT I have a few Q`s for those of you who use today`s Glass Sealants/Coatings:

-when you get wiper issues, is it always immediately apparent or does it develop over time?
    -in the latter case, does refreshing the Glass Product solve the problem?
    -any advice on such products that *just don`t cause issues* for anybody?

I`ve *NEVER* had wipers work all that great on RainX. Similarly, there`s a hydrophobic coating on the A8`s (replacement) windshield, and the wipers don`t work all that great on it either (but eh, overall it`s OK and it`s sure long-lived). So I generally avoid such stuff and just clean the windshields all the time (not quite daily, but close). BUT...the Crown Vic has a big "skip spot" right in my line of vision that [freakin`] drives me nuts and I might use up my RainX in this lifetime after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve only used RainX (and yes indeed, I`m well aware of its various shortcomings!), but IME/IMO it`s a matter of all the previously mentioned variables...you just don`t know what`ll happen.

BUT I have a few Q`s for those of you who use today`s Glass Sealants/Coatings:

-when you get wiper issues, is it always immediately apparent or does it develop over time?
    -in the latter case, does refreshing the Glass Product solve the problem?
    -any advice on such products that *just don`t cause issues* for anybody?

I`ve *NEVER* had wipers work all that great on RainX. Similarly, there`s a hydrophobic coating on the A8`s (replacement) windshield, and the wipers don`t work all that great on it either (but eh, overall it`s OK and it`s sure long-lived). So I generally avoid such stuff and just clean the windshields all the time (not quite daily, but close). BUT...the Crown Vic has a big "skip spot" right in my line of vision that [freakin`] drives me nuts and I might use up my RainX in this lifetime after all.
    -Mine have always developed over time. Vehicles that sit outside 24/7 and aren`t washed as frequently develop issues far sooner IME.
    -Polishing the glass and reapplying has always worked for me.
    -Gtechniq G1 has been on my wife`s car for about 9 months now and she loves it. No issues yet but I have noticed the hydrophobics falling off a bit.

One of these days I`ll get around to applying it on my truck for more testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow and issue I have not had lol.

I’ve used Gtechnig, optimum , aqua pel and IGL window. All without wiper skipping. I usually apply once every 1.5-2 years depending on performance. Gtech lasted the least and optimum so far almost at 2 year mark and still there. I just purchased and installed the igl kit recently and its great but is only weeks old and should be at this point. Application of igl window was very easy. Time will tell.

Over all the IGL line has been a winner for me. Everything I have used is as described and excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-glass advertises that it won`t cause this issue.mI `ve used it on several different vehicles and never had an issue. At least 15-20 cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I`m really appreciating the above responses, you;re helping me develop a short-list. That car`s windshield/wiper issue simply drives me nuts but I don`t want to get into replacing the windshield over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I rethought this issue this morning. Ok. Did the coating prep polish remove it or really just deep clean it? So I knew the windshield was clean at this point. So I figured I would re coat it with the McKess . Followed directions to the letter. Used a lake co. foam applicator. Let it set up for 2 min, the buffed with a mf towel. Maybe it was a build up of dirt, drying aids, hydro blue etc. Did a quick check of the wipers with the windshield wet of course. Seemed ok. But I will report back after we get some rain on my findings. I do have one prying question...WHAT DOES REMOVE A GLASS COATING? Mc Kess glass restorer? Mr clean eraser? Comet? APC?

Thanks.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Well, I rethought this issue this morning. Ok. Did the coating prep polish remove it or really just deep clean it? So I knew the windshield was clean at this point. So I figured I would re coat it with the McKess . Followed directions the letter. Used a lake co. foam applicator. Let it set up for 2 min, the buffed with a mf towel. Maybe it was a build up of dirt, drying aids, hydro blue etc. Did a quick check of the wipers with the windshield wet of course. Seemed ok. But I will report back after we get some rain on my findings. I do have one prying question...WHAT DOES REMOVE A GLASS COATING? Mc Kess glass restorer? Mr clean eraser? Comet? APC?

Thanks.
    A fine polish will remove a glass coating. CarPro Ceriglass is a good dedicated glass polish. I don’t think a APC would do enough to remove the coating, though it may weaken it.
    Likes PA DETAILER liked this post
    Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using Aquapel for the last 4 or 5 years or so.

I might get a small judder right after application if the windshield isn’t totally wet. It then goes away.

Wiping the contact area of the blades with alcohol helps,too. That’s per Ketchum. Works for me.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information