Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wiper judder caused by glass coatings

Have to make sure you wipe down the rubber refills each time you wash the car. It seems every time I do this, a black streak comes off each of the front ones..

Another part of this will be to insure you have good refills in your wipers..

I went through the process of trying a lot of aftermarket wiper refills over years past and never had much success. When you lived 11 years where it was either raining or snowing, (the Pacific Northwest) you really had to be on top of the wipers and the windshield/headlight washers working their best all the time..

When I went back to just buying the Factory refills from the dealer, I had way better performance, very quiet, no bouncing around, etc., chatter, etc..
    They just work great..

I went to the only Toyota dealership around here, about 15 miles away, and picked up some refills for a Toyota Rav4 (2001, 256,656 miles) I was working on, they cost $6.00 each, and the parts guy put them on the blades for me.. Can`t beat that..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Opti-glass advertises that it won`t cause this issue.mI `ve used it on several different vehicles and never had an issue. At least 15-20 cars.
    Same here. I`ve used Opti-glass on our 3 cars and never had an issue. Usually get 9-12 months of longevity out of it before it degrades to a point that I want to re-apply (but can still tell it`s on there and working).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Have to make sure you wipe down the rubber refills each time you wash the car...
    And/or when doing the windshield`s regularly scheduled cleaning.

Wonder if people (here) *don`t* do this?!?

Another part of this will be to insure you have good refills in your wipers..

I went through the process of trying a lot of aftermarket wiper refills..[but]..
    When I went back to just buying the Factory refills from the dealer, I had way better performance..
    Same experience on the Audis, but !oh man! are they pricey.

Off-topic, but did come to mind: Wonder how many here are, uhm...Autopian...about the wiper arms, especially the back sides including the tensioning springs/etc. Seems like I spend forever on mine each time I wash, though the LSPing makes it go a bit easier. Got most of mine sealed with UTTG+ these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Off-topic, but did come to mind: Wonder how many here are, uhm...Autopian...about the wiper arms, especially the back sides including the tensioning springs/etc. Seems like I spend forever on mine each time I wash, though the LSPing makes it go a bit easier. Got most of mine sealed with UTTG+ these days.
    The back sides of the wiper arms. You’re a better man than I am.

Post Thanks / Like

I wipe them down, but no LSP on the back side. I’m a sinner. I feel shame now. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a coating (McKee`s) on my car, haven`t noticed any issues. Also note, I don`t drive much, car sits in the garage and I keep my blades in good shape. What I think may help is the rinseless wash I use (Garry Dean Forever Rinseless) leaves a really slick surface and does leave a decent amount of protection - that could be helping the cause.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I wipe them down, but no LSP on the back side. I’m a sinner. I feel shame now. Lol
    Heh heh, well...if they don`t need it then I sure agree with not doing it!

I assume everybody here has silicon bumpers on them to keep them off the paint when they`re not mounted on plastic (and/or even then)...right?

Post Thanks / Like

jatleson- I`m always a bit envious of you folks who can use a Rinseless on glass without any downside!

Post Thanks / Like

jatleson- I`m always a bit envious of you folks who can use a Rinseless on glass without any downside!
    I’ve been using GG Polygloss without any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I’ve been using GG Polygloss without any issues.

Huh. I`ve never tried that, but *every* time I get any RW on/etc. on glass it spoils the optics for me. Every single time. Many products made for glass do it too and only a handful of Glass Cleaners leave things OK. Fortunately those few do work OK!

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. I`ve never tried that, but *every* time I get any RW on/etc. on glass it spoils the optics for me. Every single time. Many products made for glass do it too and only a handful of Glass Cleaners leave things OK. Fortunately those few do work OK!
    As long as I’m doing the whole car,it’s impossible to keep it off the windows,so I figured,why not?

It just happened to work out fine. Nice to get lucky once in a while.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only used RainX (and yes indeed, I`m well aware of its various shortcomings!), but IME/IMO it`s a matter of all the previously mentioned variables...you just don`t know what`ll happen.

BUT I have a few Q`s for those of you who use today`s Glass Sealants/Coatings:

-when you get wiper issues, is it always immediately apparent or does it develop over time?
    -in the latter case, does refreshing the Glass Product solve the problem?
    -any advice on such products that *just don`t cause issues* for anybody?

I`ve *NEVER* had wipers work all that great on RainX. Similarly, there`s a hydrophobic coating on the A8`s (replacement) windshield, and the wipers don`t work all that great on it either (but eh, overall it`s OK and it`s sure long-lived). So I generally avoid such stuff and just clean the windshields all the time (not quite daily, but close). BUT...the Crown Vic has a big "skip spot" right in my line of vision that [freakin`] drives me nuts and I might use up my RainX in this lifetime after all.
    I just had to re-do the coating on both my vehicle (done in Dec. 2017 when I bought it) and then my wife`s done in April when we bought it. Chatter can occur and as noted above and on the AG Thread, is from a number of things. I think what happened with my wifes car and ironically mine, around the same exact time frame, is that we encountered some type of environmental fallout or something from the construction site for apartments that is nearby our home. Not sure but that`s my only guess.

I do believe that chatter also happens a lot due to just wear on the coating due to constant abrasion. I don`t stress about it as IMO it`s completely normal. Even the performance of paint coatings will change over winter and as we all know, may need refreshed in time.

I have found that Rust Oleum`s NeverWet for Glass is an EXCELLENT product. It`s longevity is about 4-6 weeks but it performs way better than any OTC product I`ve used. My procedure on windshields is to use McKee`s Glass Coating first. I`ve found it works really well, is super easy to apply and leaves the wipers moving smoothly. Over time as a refresher I use NeverWet. Again, however, I strip and re-do the windshield when needed. 22ple VG1 Perfect Vision Window Coat is another product I use and find works very well, but it`s a complete PIA to use.

On windows without wipers my coating of choice is GYEON`s CanCoat. SUPER Hydrophobic and lasts very well for what it is. Don`t use it on wiper areas though. I charge $35 for front and rear windshields and $50 for all windows.

Just my take.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE....

The problem may be a bent wiper arm. To make this diagnosis, bring the wiper up to mid-stroke on the windshield and examine the blade assembly. The blades should be making full contact on the windshield and the blade arms should be parallel to the glass. If the arm is bent, use some pliers to carefully twist it until it is parallel with the glass again.

wiperarmfix.jpg

Did this yesterday morning. 100% better! Guess after 6 years, they needed a tweak. Both needed a slight bend downward. You want the rubber part of the blade to move on the downstroke stroke and back the other way on the upward stroke. Had plenty of rain yesterday and they worked great. PUT A CLOTH OVER YOUR WIPER ARM so you don`t scratch the paint on the arm!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

PA DETAILER- Glad it was such a simple fix! And you were able to do it with just the ViceGrips! Heh heh, pity that the Usual Suspects didn`t work out on my Crown Vic I even went through several new arms and I`d rather not recall how many hours I spent....only the second vehicle in 40-some years where I couldn`t solve this, and/but this car I like enough to want to sort it.

pdqgp- Ah, interesting! Glad it works so well for you, but reading your (presumably positive) post makes me think "oh sheesh, I`d never bother doing all that.." Like coating the side/rear glass...NO WAY would I ever do that. Eh, if it gets wet I`m cleaning its glass anyhow no matter what, and I guess that`s about all I`m willing to do

I am curious though- How do you strip the windshield? One thing that puts me off of most Coating approaches is the apparent need to first use a product that I`m not getting within a mile of my paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information