Post Thanks / Like

washing Microfiber towls used to remove wax

Any suggestions on washing microfiber towls loaded with wax residue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: washing Microfiber towls used to remove wax

Pre-wash the REALLY dirty ones in a bucket with a degreaser like Super Clean and rinse out the microfibers. I hand-wring them SLIGHTLY, but not too much as to twist the fibers excessively.
    Throw the microfibers into a washer, using hot water, and wash with Persil or Tide Stain Remover laundry soap and set to rinse TWICE.
    Some detailers prefer to use specialty microfiber-cleaning soaps, like HD, Poorboy`s World, Micro-Restore, or McKee`s37 makes.
    (You can check them out yourself, but the two over-the-counter laundry listed above work OK for hobbyist detailers and you can buy them at the ubiquitous Walmart near you)
    The water level will need to be set as to how many microfibers you have. NEVER wash them with cotton clothes or towels, or microfibers that have been used on grease removal. I know some detailers do NOT mix their microfibers used for polish or compound removal with those used for wax or sealant removal.
    After the wash cycle, throw in a cup of vinegar (less if it is a smaller amount of microfibers, like 4) BEFORE the first rinse cycle, as it acts as a "natural" fabric softener.NEVER use a real fabric softener. The second rinse cycle will remove the vinegar.

When you dry them in the dryer, DO NOT use high heat or anti-static dryer sheets and make sure they dry by themselves, not with other cotton clothes or towels and set the heat level to medium. If you can, just air dry them. I hang mine out in the basement in the late fall or early spring or on a clothes line outside in the summer. Just watch out for next-door neighbors who cut their lawns or seasonal cottonwood or dandelion fluff/dander, because you do not want that outdoor debris on you clean microfibers.
    GB detailer
    Likes VitreousHumor, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Willie@17- Welcome to Autopia!

If the MF was used to buff the dried wax residue off then the wax is more "on" the towel than "in" the towel, if you get my drift (hard to verbalize, hence all those scare-quotes). It oughta be so minimal that it launders right out, even if you just did a Suburban.

If you use the MF to *apply* the wax, then it`s the opposite situation, with the towel much more contaminated with wax. In that case I`d spray it with an APC or a Pad Cleaner as per Lonnie`s advice, and I`d try to wash it ASAP (though I often don`t ).

Unlike Lonnie and others, I found Persil and other OTC shampoos to be quite ineffective for cleaning my MFs. Most detergents made for MF are OK (can`t remember which one I didn`t like, but it was only one and that just needed a lot of rinses) and all of those worked *MUCH* better for me.

Other than that diff regarding the detergent...What Lonnie said.

And/but, do take a peek in the washer during the rinse, and if you see suds keep doing rinses until you don`t (the vinegar will usually help a *lot*).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wash mine on the sanitary,heavy soil,extra rinse cycle. I’ve been using 3D microfiber cleaner. It seems to work great for me. And at $17.00/gallon,it’s economical,too. I use 1oz. for small loads and 2 oz. for large loads.

I also air dry or on the lowest heat cycle. The conventional detergents didn’t work for me.

Vinegar rinses are a must.
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After the advise on using microfiber cleaning-specific detergents versus OTC laundry detergents from two (or three) of highly respected Autopians, maybe it`s time to change my microfiber cleaning process!!

Speaking of that and laundry detergents, does anybody remember when Charlie`s Soaps were once considered "the cat`s meow" for cleaning microfibers??
    Charlie`s Soap
    GB detailer

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

I still use Charlie soap...However after going through the gyrations of using several different detergents made for microfibers, I`ve gone back to just using tide pods or charlies with the wash set on hot, and drying on low without a dryer sheet. My microfibers come out fine. I routinely retire 10 microfibers about every six months, and buy new ones. The old ones go to changing my Oil.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I drank the Charlie`s Koolaid...utterly underwhelming and not close to the performance of Persil or even Tide. But eh, that`s just *my* experience and YMMV really applies with this one.

Those using an HE washer are smart to use the "sanitary" cycle, that`s what I use on the rare occasions my MFs go in that washer (usually go in an ancient direct-drive agitator model that actually *cleans* stuff ).

[INSERT rant about how [crappy] HE washers are...and our latest one just died in a "cost more to fix than replace" manner after just a few years while the old-tech one just keeps working, since `87!]

Lonnie- Despite what others need to use, I`ll remind you to not bother fixing whatever`s not broken

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I`m surprised you found Persil not up to snuff. I just tried some on some dirty, greasy work clothes and was impressed. Might be the washer too. I just got rid of my HE toploader without the agitator and went with an agitator version. Much better.

Back on topic; I`ve always used All Free and Clear detergent on my microfibers. Figure I didn`t want any extra fragrance ingredients in them. Most come clean with some do have minor staining, but feel ok. I do need to do a quick load and might try the Persil for grins and giggles. Always throw them in on medium heat in the dryer, but I have an indoor clothes line in the basement. Never used it more than once as I noticed they don`t "fluff" very well drying out by air.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I drank the Charlie`s Koolaid...utterly underwhelming and not close to the performance of Persil or even Tide. But eh, that`s just *my* experience and YMMV really applies with this one.

Those using an HE washer are smart to use the "sanitary" cycle, that`s what I use on the rare occasions my MFs go in that washer (usually go in an ancient direct-drive agitator model that actually *cleans* stuff ).

[INSERT rant about how [crappy] HE washers are...and our latest one just died in a "cost more to fix than replace" manner after just a few years while the old-tech one just keeps working, since `87!]

Lonnie- Despite what others need to use, I`ll remind you to not bother fixing whatever`s not broken
    Agreed. I tried Charlie`s. I went back to All Free N Clear until I discovered the 3D Towel Kleen.

We have a 10 year old or so LG front loader. Works great,no issues. That replaced a 25 year old Maytag. Now,the only agitator in my house is me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Accumulator, I`m surprised you found Persil not up to snuff. I just tried some on some dirty, greasy work clothes and was impressed. Might be the washer too. I just got rid of my HE toploader without the agitator and went with an agitator version. Much better.
    Oh yeah, the washer is a *HUGE* factor! None of our HE ones have been any good (we`ll see about the new Electrolux I bought yesterday), so I always keep a direct-drive agitator model in the garage.

Persil works fine on work clothes and other "regular textiles" loads. If we liked the scent better we might use it for almost everything. But it doesn`t leave my MFs as like-new as my MF detergents do.

I noticed they don`t "fluff" very well drying out by air.
    Same experience here. Better with softened water than with hard, but just not the same as using the dryer. Some clothing gets air-dried, but not my detailing stuff.

Gee, some folks replace MFs pretty frequently! I`m still using some YoSteve ones from...I dunno, maybe around the turn of the century! Only MFs I replace regularly (every few years, maybe every 5-7) are my Drying Towels, which inevitably start to just move the water around rather than soaking it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Some things I can’t be bothered with anymore / life is too short:

1. Separating towels based on usage (wheels vs paint; etc...)

2. Buying MF detergent that’s $50+ a gallon

3. Presoaking towels for any reason.

I think all the PBMG MF detergents are great. But, for the price I buy the 3D MF detergent. It’s pretty much as good & like $18 a gallon if I recall.

I usually wash a load of towels 2x & add some LA Totally Awesome to initial wash. Last rinse gets vinegar.

Post Thanks / Like

3D

Post Thanks / Like

I wait until an OK MF Detergent is on sale in a big way, then buy enough to last until the next big sale. Basically the same as I do with most Detailing supplies.

Thread Information