Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Wiper Fluid vs LSP / windshield sealant on the DD

I`ve been wondering about windshield washer fluid and how it affects wax or glass sealants. The powerful bug removing, anti freezing, streak freeing formula and all that jazz

I recently applied a coat of glass sealant on my new DD. I`ve been using Adams for several years now and have always been very happy with the results.
    Anyway, low and behold the sealant didn`t seem to last very long at all, after maybe 3 weeks it seems to have completely gone where normally I`ll get several months.
    I think the dealer supplied washer fluid might be the issue so I`m gonna go ahead and drain it out and replace it.

Currently looking at nextzett (1Z) Kristall Klar concentrate. I`ve used the winter stuff last year in the DDs and was quite impressed so I`ll go this way.

ANYWAYS, although it says it`s safe on paintwork, is it safe on LSP, which in my case is collinite 845 on my wifes car and the new truck is about to get FK1000p once it arrives next week

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Wiper Fluid vs LSP / windshield sealant on the DD

Yeah, I`ve seen some serious staining of adjacent painted areas with some of the miracle (think RainX). I tried to polish it off on a friend`s black VW. Couldn`t touch it - - I suspect it had 6 months of dwell time during the winter. These products tend to be called "dirt blocker", etc.

I use the 1Z products and the P21S booster. No issues with those. In fact, the 1Z glass products are stellar as far as I`m concerned.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I have the McKess glass coating on all exterior glass. I use the Kristall Klar summer concentrate in the warm months. I have had no ill effects on the windshield or paint.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

We hardly *ever* use our washers, only on extended trips in the winter. So it`s not much of a current issue for us these days.

But it certainly was in the past, when we used the washers more and the cars weren`t wearing FK1000P (which I hope will solve Mooser`s problem).

It *does* pay to use LSPs that can resist such solvents, and if there`s an LSP-friendly washer fluid *that doesn`t freeze* I`d appreciate hearing about it.

The fluid used by the PO of my `93 Audi etched the paint something awful, *WAY* beyond anything that can be fixed without a paintgun. And that was presumably from the regular washers/fluid, not the "Intensive" system that it also has (though I don`t know for sure; still, the Intensive never messed up the paint on my Porsches that had the same system).

Tom P.- Huh, interesting about the staining from the RainX fluid. That`s what the PO used in the Crown Vic and while I don`t recall ever using its washers other than to check their aim it doesn`t appear to have done any harm. I used to use that P21s booster too, but haven`t for decades...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

The fluid used by the PO of my `93 Audi etched the paint something awful, *WAY* beyond anything that can be fixed without a paintgun. And that was presumably from the regular washers/fluid, not the "Intensive" system that it also has (though I don`t know for sure; still, the Intensive never messed up the paint on my Porsches that had the same system).
    Did Audi washer fluid of that era have a high alchohol content? The OEM fluid in my `99 BMW could be smelled inside the car every time it was used! I can`t imagine that stuff was good for the paint, but it rarely froze and never streaked the windshield.

I`m hesitant to use the super-duper, all-in-one fluids on sales these days. The Rain-X stuff is known to foul the fluid resivoir sensors in VW`s which leads to replacement of the sensor or at least a complete drain and long flush of the tank to fix. If it`s that bad on a small, simple sensor, I don`t think I want it all over my windshield or paint...on any of my cars, but espicially my VW. I`ll stick with the OEM fluid (shockingly cheap), or the cheap sub-freezing stuff found at parts stores and gas stations. I`ve never experience any staining or parts failures.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- After all this time I don`t recall much about the Intensive stuff (which, IIRC, they spelled "Intensiv"). I havn`t had to top off its tank in the `93, just the regular one (I use the cheap stuff that doesn`t freeze too). Heh heh, I *always* seem to smell the fluid no matter what it is.

Wouldn`t surprise me if Porsche/Audi and BMW used the same stuff for those Intensive systems. I will say that back when I used them regularly they sure did keep the glass clean, but they always stripped my wax too. No damage, probably because I`d always redo promptly.

Yikes, that`s something about the RainX...hope it doesn`t mess with the Crown Vic`s sensor. Yeah, I`d keep it off the paint too. Hmm...I might oughta give some thought to draining/replacing it some day, never use the washers in that car, not ever as I don`t drive it in the winter. Thanks for passing along that info, learn something new here all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Nextzett,(formerly Einsett) is the best stuff I`ve ever seen. It doesn`t streak and actually cleans. Smells good, too.

Their Anti-Frost winter wash is like magic. I use the Kristal concentrate in summer. And I just add the Anti-Frost in winter. They are compatible.

It doesn`t take off LSP`s.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It`s designed to be used with tap water. Do NOT use distilled water. It makes it foamy.

Buy the Anti-Frost now,as it becomes scarce in the fall. And it`s on sale,too.

Tip: Be sure to cover the washer reservoir with blue tape and write "Do Not Fill" on it so the dealer doesn`t do you a favor and fill it with their horse-urine.

PS: I`m as enthusiastic about this as Accumulator is about FK 1000p.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-clear...ncentrate.html

Is another good one! Just like KK.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Heh heh, you do know how to get my attention, huh?

Q: why not just use the Anti-Frost all the time?

I *am* giving your enthusiasm for the NZ products full consideration If we used our washers enough I`d be ordering it ASAP.

Oh, and I`m *still* surprised that people have to take, uhm...measures...to keep Techs from doing stuff! "Hey, tell Dale (or one of the Erics, if at the other dealerships) not to top off the washer fluid, would ya?" Done. If I couldn`t trust people not to [mess] with stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Heh heh, you do know how to get my attention, huh?

Q: why not just use the Anti-Frost all the time?

I *am* giving your enthusiasm for the NZ products full consideration If we used our washers enough I`d be ordering it ASAP.

Oh, and I`m *still* surprised that people have to take, uhm...measures...to keep Techs from doing stuff! "Hey, tell Dale (or one of the Erics, if at the other dealerships) not to top off the washer fluid, would ya?" Done. If I couldn`t trust people not to [mess] with stuff...
    When we picked up my wife’s new car, I discovered that the tires had the dealer’s slime-crap on them. This is after 3 requests not to dress them. As it was the sales manager’s car,and had God-only knows how many car washes it’s been through,I didn’t bother to request not to detail it. Except for the tires.

I’ll use the Anti-Frost year-round this year because I’m almost out of the Kristal. The Kristal seems to clean a little bit better,but that’s anecdotal and I can simplify my life by having one less product that I feel obligated to use.

The 3M blue tape seems to work preventing them from futzing with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Older- Heh heh, funny you mentioned those tires, they did the same thing when we bought the Mazda minivan, a foreshadowing of the hideous ownership experience that was to come.

A guy at my Audi dealer once did (just) the (winter) wheels and tires of my wife`s A8 when it was in for service, after being told not to. The Service Mngr fired him over it. Nobody there has messed with my stuff since and that was 17 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    When we picked up my wife’s new car, I discovered that the tires had the dealer’s slime-crap on them. This is after 3 requests not to dress them. As it was the sales manager’s car,and had God-only knows how many car washes it’s been through,I didn’t bother to request not to detail it. Except for the tires.
    I think there is a certian institutional arrogance in dealership service departments. You tell them not to wash it, but they interpret that to mean you`re an idiot and don`t know what`s best for your vehicle.

I`ve only encountered marginal success in keeping dealership from doing unnessicary detailing when taking a car in for service. During the initial walk around of my freshly detailed GTI with the service manager, he calmly mentioned the free car wash I`d get since I purchased the car there. I quickly and politely countered with, "Please do NOT wash the car!" His response was a knowing smile followed by, "Yeah, it looks really good. We won`t touch it because I know it won`t look this good afterwards if we did" True to his word, I picked up my car with a two-day layer of dust and pollen.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Yeah, agree about the usual assumptions at the dealerships. I, uhm...take measures to ensure they don`t think I`m like the usual customer, including coming right out and saying so...rota like that Kid Rock song, "You`ve never met a [censored] quite like me"

The Ford dealership did once wash my previous Crown Vic after it was there for over a month. We had a brief, polite, discussion about it and let`s just say it`ll never happen again.

The A8 has been at the dealer for [you wouldn`t *believe* how long], we`ll see what it`s like when we get it back...

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Rain-X for years on my truck and never had any kind of problem. I use the windshield sealant, the washer additive and 2N1 when I clean the windshield. I have to reapply the sealant about once a year. I have been experimenting with RW (one capful/acrylic) in my daughters car and she loves it.
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

Well a can of fk1000p came in the post today with some other goodies and a bottle of nexzett Kristall Klar is somewhere in transit, now the last 5 days of heat warnings (85-95f) has changed to severe thunderstorm warnings.....
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information