Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Step stool from HF.

Does anyone here have the folding aluminum step stool/bench from Harbor Freight ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Step stool from HF.

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    Does anyone here have the folding aluminum step stool/bench from Harbor Freight ?

No, but I have the one from Home Depot, it’s bigger than the one from Harbor Freight and skookum as frig. I am very pleased with the platform from Home Depot, and worth the $20+ over the HF.
    Likes trashmanssd, pgp liked this post

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually picked up two of them one sale when I was down in Carlisle.
    Originally got them for working on my car in the garage when it`s up on the quicklift but when I bought a new Kia Sorento and went to wash the roof/windshield I instantly realized that on my Blazer ZR2 I could stand on the running boards and then step to front and rear tires to wash everything... on the Sorento I can`t, so out came one of these and it works perfectly. Light and small to move around, just the right height to reach everything.
    I`ve also got one of the larger HD style ones I use in the house for painting etc but It`s a little too high for the cars, at least for me
    M

PS You will need to tighten (a couple of hits with the hammer) the two rivets that hold the lock pieces to get them to stay in place a little better when dragging it around
    Likes pgp liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    Whatever metal step or bench you get, please dont forget to put something on the top edge of it that faces the paintwork, so you dont accidently scratch the paintwork with it while you are up on it, and then it slides around, etc...

I imagine a good piece of thick rubber foam that is used to insulate a/c pipes or water pipes, cut in half and then attached to the edge would probably be the ultimate way to prevent damaging the paint, or at least a thick towel over the entire step that hangs down over that edge..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have the HF folding step platform.
    It is convenient. My only gripe is when I`m on it, I tend to kick the car sometimes.
    Other than that, folds easy, lightweight, not too tall, makes a nice portable table too.

Post Thanks / Like

Photo0088.jpg

I have this one from Lowes I believe. Gets me to the roof of the Xterra to wash it etc...
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes pgp, dchristo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to read the different opinions on heights of the platforms/stools.

I have it and the Gorilla platforms (I think) from HD. I had the HF first, it is sturdy. My issues are 1. it is just a stool, not a platform and 2 - not high enough. I`m not the tallest guy and need all the help I can get for SUV roofs. When on sale the platforms from Lowes and HD are not that much more than the HF and much more versitle.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the HF platform (or large stool) and while it is sturdy enough, it doesn`t fold down very small.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness View Post
    I also have the HF platform (or large stool) and while it is sturdy enough, it doesn`t fold down very small.

I have this one as well and I hate it, the bench (at least mine) squeaks to no end when you`re standing on it!
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I have this one as well and I hate it, the bench (at least mine) squeaks to no end when you`re standing on it!
    Yeah !! No kidding !! And when you don`t lock in both legs, it becomes an unexpected slide

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is about 20" high and has an intermediate step on the folding legs to be able to step up to the platform, which is great for "vertically challenged" (AKA short) people or "mature" (AKA, older) legs, rather than having make one BIG step to get to the platform. It is also about 30" inches long, which is great for doing SUV roof tops, but I still need to move it once to be able to get to both the front or rear section.
    Five safety tips:
    1) ALWAYS lock BOTH legs with the locking tabs on the sides. There is a tendency when using the platform to reach like the middle of the front window on a truck or SUV to clean it quickly NOT to lock the legs. As Mary B states, it can quickly become a slide and the impending fall can be serious, not to mention maybe scratching your vehicle.
    2) Look at adding anti-slip tape to the platform. Skate board shops sell this adhesive-backed sandpaper-like tape in larger sheets that may be prevent a fall or slip off the platform. Wet shoes and aluminum platforms are a recipe for disaster.
    3) I agree with Stokdgs: add some type of foam to the corners or at least file/sand the sharp corners and use duct tape on them to prevent accidental scratches.
    4) Look at your feet before moving on a platform. It`s too easy to step off a platform when concentrating on polishing a roof. You just need to be aware and cognitive of your relative footing location on it. It`s just a practice I`ve tried to follow and it does take some discipline to do it on regular basis.
    5) Don`t try to overreach at the end; Get off and move the platform to a more ergonomically-safe reaching position. Back strains, while not a physically dangerous as falls, can be just as debilitating to a detailer.

I know some of you have two platforms and use them in tandem to go across large, long roofs of SUVs or vans. Stepping across that gap needs some visual attention.
    GB detailer
    Likes pgp, Oneheadlite, Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Regulars here (or at least Old Timers) know that I use a bunch (five..) of work platforms by Bauer and Warner that are apparently now NA. So OK, easy for me to talk since I have what I like and maybe you can`t buy `em But anyhow...

I don`t see how people use ladders, or small steps/platforms to do roofs. No way I could do decent work that way, couldn`t even begin to do a proper inspection (let alone correction) as I basically have to get the same perspective that I use on a hood/trunk lid. Even washing requires the right approach/working angle to avoid marring or other mistakes and I`m not gonna reposition stuff countless times, I want to just walk around the vehicle (on the platforms) washing/etc. the roof the same way I do the rest of it.

Lonnie- Thanks for mentioning the Friction Media for those top surfaces, saved me a lot of typing

Not hating on the small ones *for the right applications*, I use small step stools to do the windshield of the Crown Vic (just stand in the door opening to do the Tahoe).
    Likes pgp, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My current stool is a plastic folding one, not very high. I may look at HD too. I like the price of the HF one.

Post Thanks / Like

I have several of the Werner Platforms. I think they’re about 18” tall and retail for $50 - $60. If you watch the sales around Black Friday and heading towards Christmas most of the retail boxes offer these for $25 - $30. There are several other brands that look very much the same and I can’t tell you that Werner is a superior product but they’re nice enough. I literally use these every wash.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have gorilla platform, added traction tape on it also found at Lowes an Home Depot. Also have Camco adjustable folding step stool I got off Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information