Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Step stool from HF.

GearHead_1- As best I can tell, those Werners are kinda like the baby brothers of the ones I have.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI:
    The cost of personal injury litigation ( IE; law suites from falls) is factored into the initial manufacturer`s retail price for a ladder (or platform). It is estimated that 33% of that price is for litigation and/or self-insured compensation payouts due to falls. Accidents are just that: poor human judgment (or stupidity). Very few are from equipment failures, and if they are, chances are it is from "misuse" by the operator (like a 275 pound person carrying up a 75 pound bundle of shingles on 300-pound rated ladder.)

One other safety tip is when working on uneven ground or soft ground, like a lawn or dirt area, be careful what you choose to prop up the legs or side supports with to level the ladder or platform. I prefer LARGE, flat rocks rather than wood, but then again, I live in an area of the Niagara Escarpment where such limestone rocks are prevalent (ask any farmer in Northeast Wisconsin and the "rockfests" they have each spring in their fields picking stones. You`d SWEAR there are infinite underground reserves of them that "float" (heave up) to the top when the 3-to-6 feet of ground frost "comes out" (melts) each spring. Hey, they do not call Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI "The Frozen Tundra" for nothing`!!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the hf one, werner platorms, but the one I use the most is a werner folding step stool, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-2-St...ool/1000208561 . hd, very well made, good size top platform, easy to move around, and I like the extra bend on the top rail that allows you to get closer without bending over as much and remain balanced. use it on every detail.
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Regulars here (or at least Old Timers) know that I use a bunch (five..) of work platforms by Bauer and Warner that are apparently now NA. So OK, easy for me to talk since I have what I like and maybe you can`t buy `em But anyhow...

I don`t see how people use ladders, or small steps/platforms to do roofs. No way I could do decent work that way, couldn`t even begin to do a proper inspection (let alone correction) as I basically have to get the same perspective that I use on a hood/trunk lid. Even washing requires the right approach/working angle to avoid marring or other mistakes and I`m not gonna reposition stuff countless times, I want to just walk around the vehicle (on the platforms) washing/etc. the roof the same way I do the rest of it.

Lonnie- Thanks for mentioning the Friction Media for those top surfaces, saved me a lot of typing

Not hating on the small ones *for the right applications*, I use small step stools to do the windshield of the Crown Vic (just stand in the door opening to do the Tahoe).

Accumulator
    Could you please elaborate on this..??
    It sounds like you position platforms around the vehicle, stepping from one to the other as you go ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    Accumulator
    Could you please elaborate on this..??
    It sounds like you position platforms around the vehicle, stepping from one to the other as you go ??
    Yes, that`s exactly what I do.

Hey, what do you know, they`re available again! Link: 20900 Fold-N-Go Work Platform

I got mine a lot cheaper by going to the regional Bauer place and buying four of them (to go with my single Werner that`s almost identical but better/lighter/just as strong).

I don`t really need the fifth one since selling the YukonXLD, but it was handy while I had that thing.

Nowadays I position two on each side of the Tahoe and yes I step from one to the other (carefully). I`ll sometimes do the same with the Crown Vic although I can get by with just one per side unless doing inspection/correction (OK, I could get by then too, but I don`t).

There`s simply *ZERO* way I could do justice to the top of a tall vehicle without them and there`s even *less* chance of Yours Truly trying to make due with alternatives that I consider unsafe. I`ve known far too many people whose lives were altered, or even ended, by falling down for one reason or another and I won`t throw my life away over a detail. And FWIW, I`m a pretty agile guy who knows how to fall correctly, about the last person my age you`d ever expect to even think about such accidents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information