Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Push button start - why ?

The locking keys in the car thread got me thinking about this. Many new cars have push button start, is there a good reason for it ?( I guess your keys stay in your pocket) Is it just something to break ? I have never used it , so that is why I am asking?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Push button start - why ?

The cool factor. Lol. My BMW has a start button but you must insert the key fob into a space below it. Now that is stupid!
    Likes Dan, RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The cool factor. Lol. My BMW has a start button but you must insert the key fob into a space below it. Now that is stupid!
    That does sound stupid.

My previous Honda and current car both have/had it, and it wasn’t like that. Keyless entry and no getting the key in or out of my pocket. I’m a fan of push button start.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I have this push button start and key fob in my VW. They call it Kessy I believe. The key fob is a radius based system and thus lets me grab the handle and unlock the door without pulling the key out of my pocket. I can also lock the car similarly. It then also lets me start the car via push button.

I don’t know if there is really anything more to to it from manufacturers other than convenience. It’s nice to put the key in my pocket and never need to pull it out. I don’t see any major issue other then the fib battery needing replaced. In most of today’s cars that uses keys in the ignition it is just reading and verifying the key info and then sending a starter signal similar to how push button start works.

The one thing I dislike about VWs implementation is that it does away with the option of remote start unless you are willing to give up a key and hide it in the car so an aftermarket remote start can work. VW doesn’t offer it in my GTI and since a key needs to be in the car it doesn’t seem to be workable for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The car locks and unlocks automatically as you move away and towards it, without action on your part ? I read someplace that the keys can be close by and the car will start and you can drive away. Then you can`t start it again because the keys were left home on the garage workbench. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

My current car has the fob and key in one, I had one fail and the car would not start. It did not see the key. I was at home so it was no big deal. $225 or so if I had to pay for it. There is too much electronics in these cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    The car locks and unlocks automatically as you move away and towards it, without action on your part ? I read someplace that the keys can be close by and the car will start and you can drive away. Then you can`t start it again because the keys were left home on the garage workbench. Is this true?

Sorry I wasn’t clear.

No the key has a range and I can unlock the door by putting my hand in latch and it will unlock. And if I put my hand at a spot in the outside of the latch it will lock. It’s not a total proximity sensor system.

You are correct about about starting the car removing the key and being able to drive away. I think this part of the system needs updated but you key needs to be practically in the car to start it. If you put the key in your pocket you don’t have to worry about this issue.

My VW is a fob with a flip out key as well but there is no “key ignition”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I have Comfort Access in my BMW, there`s no need to insert the key in the ignition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I have Comfort Access in my BMW, there`s no need to insert the key in the ignition.
    Mine is a little older, 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2017 Ford Fushion Sport and I hate the key fobs. Give me a key anyday.

GTA-ish (North of Toronto but close enough to see the smog)
    Post Thanks / Like

First cars had a crank in the front and you had to crank start them
    Then they added the electric starter motor connected to a button
    Then the key on the dash
    Then the key on the steering column
    Then the key on the dash
    Now the button on the dash
    By 2020 we should have a crank on the front again

M
    Likes GearHead_1, RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Google Faraday Cage for Car Fobs. Police in our area send notices to residents to cage their key fobs to avoid having your car stolen.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Rogue I am currently in has the PB start. It was weird the first few days of not using a key. But after getting use to it, I will admit, love it. Just have the fob on you and lock/unlock by the button on the door handle. I do understand there is a hidden key in the fob you can use to lock/unlock the doors only. Tech is just crazy. Compared to my 12 Xterra. Today they are 90% rolling computers. I am sure when something breaks, it`s crazy expensive out of warranty.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gspam View Post
    Google Faraday Cage for Car Fobs. Police in our area send notices to residents to cage their key fobs to avoid having your car stolen.
    FOBGUARD is apparently another good product.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    My last van as well as my current (town and country, Pacifica) will raise hell if the key fob leaves the vehicle once it’s been started. And the van won’t start unless the key is IN the van. It’s got a very short range. I’ve been in the van with the kids and my wife walked into a store for a few minutes leaving the van running, and I had to sit there listening to “ding ding ding ding ding ding ding” NONSTOP until she came back or I finally shut the car off (it was winter, needed the heat).

so you won’t get very far if you forget your key at least with Chrysler vans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information