Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Push button start - why ?

Love it. Never take keys out of pocket anymore. Not to open doors or trunk and not to start. On the rare occasion I don’t have my key in my pocket as I try to enter they car and it denies me, I’m pissed it does not know it’s me ! Lol

Next up the injectable chip do you don’t need a fob. It will desolve as your lease ends.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks. I don`t want things like the ignition and (un)locking to be Black Box Processes; I want to be in direct, discernible control of such stuff. Remote lock/unlock is as much as I can appreciate, never used the Remote Start that one car had other than one time just to see how it worked. All the Tech that I don`t want has gotten to the point where I don`t even drive the Service Loaners that my Audi dealer leaves me if I can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Mine is a little older, 2011.
    My BMW is even older, it`s a 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    The cool factor. Lol. My BMW has a start button but you must insert the key fob into a space below it. Now that is stupid!
    My Passat was the same way. I wanted to punch the person responsible but now that people are doing tricks to get cars to start without the fob in the car, maybe it wasn`t a bad idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Love it. Never take keys out of pocket anymore. Not to open doors or trunk and not to start. On the rare occasion I don’t have my key in my pocket as I try to enter they car and it denies me, I’m pissed it does not know it’s me ! Lol

Next up the injectable chip do you don’t need a fob. It will desolve as your lease ends.
    The injectable RFID is already here. A friend had one "installed" 3 or 4 years ago. He is nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    No thanks. I don`t want things like the ignition and (un)locking to be Black Box Processes; I want to be in direct, discernible control of such stuff. Remote lock/unlock is as much as I can appreciate, never used the Remote Start that one car had other than one time just to see how it worked. All the Tech that I don`t want has gotten to the point where I don`t even drive the Service Loaners that my Audi dealer leaves me if I can help it.
    Do you spend a lot of time telling kids to get off your lawn?

My last few cars And motorcycles have had transponders with touch start. Not an ounce of trouble in 100s of thousands of miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post

My last few cars And motorcycles have had transponders with touch start. Not an ounce of trouble in 100s of thousands of miles.
    Transponders are great, except if you do outdoors stuff. I resent having to carry a zip lock baggie to keep my keys in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    First cars had a crank in the front and you had to crank start them
    Then they added the electric starter motor connected to a button
    Then the key on the dash
    Then the key on the steering column
    Then the key on the dash
    Now the button on the dash
    By 2020 we should have a crank on the front again

M
    OR, with the advent of electric cars, now you can buy a person-powered bicycle-like generator/charging system to plug into and re-charge your electric Tesla3. Next it will be miniaturized and installed within the vehicle, so as you and a passenger peddle this device, it generates enough electricity, along with the solar-cell as an integral part of the roof, to power and propel your Tesla 3.
    Then I thought, "WAIT, I`ve seen this before. That`s how they powered cars in the cartoon "The Flintstones" back in the mid-60`s through Fred`s fleet feet". Yaba-daba-do!!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The injectable RFID is already here. A friend had one "installed" 3 or 4 years ago. He is nuts.
    Yup, a company here in Wisconsin "offered" (highly suggested, but optional) this technology to its employees to eliminate the use of fingerprint or retinal scans, security chip cards, typed passwords, physical keys for lock access to areas into and within the company, including log-on to computers or using copy machines and other electronic devices. Those that have it REALLY like it, as it makes them more efficient, and it`s providing data as proof of efficiency for employee reviews. (Supervisor: "You averaged going to the bathroom 4.6 times a day for 20.4 minutes during scheduled working hours this quarter." Employee: " REALLY? I had no idea!!!")
    I guess Rare Earth`s early 1970`s song "Hey, Big Brother" is a much bigger reality today.
    Don`t laugh! Anyone with a Smartphone and its GPS apps is subject to the same thing!!!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Neighbors are all dialed-in regarding uninvited visitors. But I`m *really* cranky about my vehicles

Sure, different people have different situations/etc. Last GM I had with OnStar, I did the (rather involved) work of removing the system before I drove it. I`ve talked with guys who`ve, uhm...made vehicles do stuff..and nobody`s gonna have remote access to my vehicles. Hey, it`s great tech if it`s working *for* you, those guys recovered a lot of stolen cars that way.

On the remote start, I`d just never have an unoccupied vehicle running unless the dogs were in it. But hey..that`s another one of those "just me being me" things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    Anyone with a Smartphone and its GPS apps is subject to the same thing!!!!
    Another reason my wife and I don`t have `em.

I gather most people simply have zero concerns about concentrated efforts to compromise their PERsonal SECurity. OK, whatever works for you. But I`d expect anybody of nefarious intent to invest a few hours into hacking this sort of stuff, it`d be one of the ground-floor components of victimizing somebody who`s worth victimizing in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgp View Post
    The locking keys in the car thread got me thinking about this. Many new cars have push button start, is there a good reason for it ?( I guess your keys stay in your pocket) Is it just something to break ? I have never used it , so that is why I am asking?
    Cause my Grandpop had it in 1946. Amazing how some things old are new again.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information