Post Thanks / Like

How would you protect a trunk lid from fingerprints and scratches?

I have a hatchback trunk where the W (Volkswagen) logo flips up so you can use it as a handle to open the trunk. But once the trunk is all the way up, you pretty much have to grab the edge of the trunk lid to close it again. So therefore I get fingerprints and scratches there from all the dirt. What would you do to protect this area, or what other solution?
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would you protect a trunk lid from fingerprints and scratches?

I grab the latch on the trunk of my Camaro to prevent getting my fingers on dirty paint and leaving marks. If you don`t have anything like that on the `underside` of your hatch, perhaps with a couple of short screws and some kind of strap you could make a "handle" to grab so you can pull the hatch down to where you can grab the VW emblem.

You could also get a small strip of Paint Protection Film (PPF) and cover the bottom inch or so of the hatch to protect the paint from getting marked/scratched. I bet a shop that does PPF should have some scraps they would give you.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I have a hatchback trunk where the W (Volkswagen) logo flips up so you can use it as a handle to open the trunk. But once the trunk is all the way up, you pretty much have to grab the edge of the trunk lid to close it again. So therefore I get fingerprints and scratches there from all the dirt. What would you do to protect this area, or what other solution?
    I have a GTI as well and I use the interior "pocket/handle" that built into the inside of the hatch. When using that I have no issues. I also don`t let other open/close the hatch as they grab the outside of the hatch and it drives me crazy.

The only other thing I have thought of is a strip of clear film at the bottom edge that you could replace yearly.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smith & Wesson
    Glock
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Tc99m, RaysWay, Stokdgs, Strong66 and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First encountered this with the Jag...gotta *PRESS* the lid shut without slamming and there`s seemingly nothing safe to touch! Spent an afternoon figuring out how to do it (touch the license plate after pulling it down a bit via the latchwork, gotta do it just right) and 33 years later still no marks from touching it.

Some of ours lack a Safe Area, we reach in to the back side or grab the latch (which I keep clean) and flip the lids shut with a flick of the wrist (yeah, my wife does it just fine and gently enough that it doesn`t cause issues), or do like with the Jag. We simply DO NOT TOUCH PAINT, period, ever..and the techs/etc. who work on `em know the rules too.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for using something inside the hatch to pull down on, along with using your license plate (I’ll use the plate hardware) to finish pushing it down as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, no free lunch you gotta be a little careful about using the plate...shearing pressure on the mounting hardware/etc. The rear plate on the A8/S8 uses proprietary *plastic* screws that thread into metal clips fastened to a rather fragile plastic trim panel...lots of stuff that can break. Sub-optimal design for someone like me.

Post Thanks / Like

On the GTI and most all VW hatchbacks the licence plate is down in the lower rear bumper and not on the hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Of course, no free lunch you gotta be a little careful about using the plate...shearing pressure on the mounting hardware/etc. The rear plate on the A8/S8 uses proprietary *plastic* screws that thread into metal clips fastened to a rather fragile plastic trim panel...lots of stuff that can break. Sub-optimal design for someone like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    On the GTI and most all VW hatchbacks the licence plate is down in the lower rear bumper and not on the hatch.
    Good info on both counts. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

I still like my idea.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

How would you protect a trunk lid from fingerprints and scratches?-img_20180411_225800-resize.jpg

Sorry guys, I`m an idiot. But in my defense, I don`t know how to read German diagrams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Close enough... They`ll never notice anyway
    Likes Stokdgs, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I still like my idea.
    No no no...[Accumulator climbs up on his high horse again..]

IXNAY on comments related to "I`ll shoot somebody who`s not a mortal threat"

Those of us on our side of the Gun Fence are hurting our cause with talk like that.

I wouldn`t shoot somebody for doing *ANYTHING* to any of my vehicles as long as nobody`s in `em and nobody else should even *think* that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    Sorry guys, I`m an idiot. But in my defense, I don`t know how to read German diagrams.
    Heh heh, props for the self-disclosure Yeah, a lot of life goes better when one RTFM, huh? But seriously, I bet that this discussion somehow factored in to your discovery, and now you know, so all good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer
    Good thing they have the grab-pocket then, huh?

And I`m with you regarding letting others (i.e., strangers) touch it...I finally decided to go to the DIY recycle place (WAY out of my way) to avoid the whole thing and just *dread* taking stuff to Goodwill since it`s 80:20 in favor that I`ll have to admonish somebody (who inevitably gets bent no matter how nice I am about it).

[INSERT rant about people who touch other people`s stuff without first getting permission...when did that all start?!?]

Thread Information