Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing with collected rain water?

Ah, yeah....that oughta work OK if you like using the pressure washer for rinsing (off the shampoo). I find that I like *volume* over pressure for that, but again, we`re at different ends of the spectrum here!

Wonder what the ph/etc. test will reveal..and whether those results would be constant over time..?is rainwater the same all the time?

Do you get all that much rain in your area? Guess so or you wouldn`t be considering this, but ours is awfully hit/miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, yeah....that oughta work OK if you like using the pressure washer for rinsing (off the shampoo). I find that I like *volume* over pressure for that, but again, we`re at different ends of the spectrum here!

Wonder what the ph/etc. test will reveal..and whether those results would be constant over time..?is rainwater the same all the time?

Do you get all that much rain in your area? Guess so or you wouldn`t be considering this, but ours is awfully hit/miss.
    Very crude calculations on my part but using the rain water from the back and side of the garage in the driest of months I would expect about 410 gallons collected. Tank it only 330 gallons. If I found I needed more capacity for storage the used 330 gallon containers (like the new one in the link) I can get for $75. Washing a car with a hose I would guess is about 20 gallons of water giving 16.5 washes per tank full. Winter that drops big time because it is usually ONR or OWW in the garage. I think I would be fine. Getting the water ready for use is my biggest question mark at this moment. Testing will tell what that entails.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
    Very crude calculations on my part but ...
    Sounds like you`re figuring this out really well! That`s more water than I would`ve thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when I get around to doing it I will report back. All my searching here and on the internet has only provided bits and pieces of information when for a few hundred bucks I can do a proof of concept. Either way, it won`t be a waste of money for me as I could always use the water for a wash sink, water the lawn, rinse the garage out, etc, etc. First I have to do some electrical wiring, have my garage insulated and interior covered (just going to use OSB and paint it). Then I can get around to this.

Garage working party at my house?

Post Thanks / Like

I like your idea of using rainwater. I have a 24’ round pool. When the cover is on it (fall through spring) I use a submersible pump to pump the rainwater off the cover and into 2 50 gallon plastic barrels. That is drinking water for my beagles, chickens and cats. For some reason they like rainwater better than wellwater. When the pool is open and it rains it usually drops the ph. Ideal Ph for pool water is around 7.6 You can check that your own self. Home Depot sells a test kit that I have been using for several years that would work good for you. What should the ph be for washing cars? I use baking soda or borax to raise the ph depending on what the total alkalinity is. You would need a way to circulate the water in your tank so the baking soda or borax would dissolve. I guess you could use your existing pump and pump it straight back in the tank. It wouldn’t take very long

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Fishroes. Some pumps do need a feedback loop so they can cool themselves if not pumping water. Kind of planning on putting one in anyways with a 1/4 ball valve. That would certainly make it simply if pretreating or cleaning of the water was required. There will already be a fine particulate filter up stream from the pump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information