Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all ice is bad

This isn`t detailing related, but lots of us here are detail oriented so I hope this post can entertain\inspire a few people. I went out with some friends about a month and a half ago to a speak easy that had some really good Old Fashions. One of my favorite visuals about the drink was the large, square, crystal clear ice cube. Ever since then I have been on a mission to make similar ice so clear that it nearly disappears in a drink. I finally succeeded.

Not all ice is bad-img_2214.jpg

Not all ice is bad-img_2239.jpg

I started off buying the 2" silicon trays and that gave me cloudy ice no matter what kind of water I used (my tap water here has a high TDS content). After a lot of research, I found out the second part of the equation besides the water is directional freezing. When you have a normal ice cube trays the water starts to freeze from all sides leaving you with cloudy ice because of expansion. The key is you need the water to freeze from one direction, so ultimately you need some type of insulation such as a cooler so when you put the water in the freezer if freezes from the top down.

Rather than buying a smaller cooler and manually cutting the ice or taking other measures with cutting and propping ice cube trays I found a product called True Cubes. I get clear ice every time. I do get some small bubbles occasionally on the outside, but those melt go away in first few minutes of setting the ice cube out. You want the cube to warm up a bit before you pour or put it in a drink so it doesn`t crack. I have made a bunch of cubes and store them in plastic bags. In my freezer it usually takes about 14 - 16 hours for the top cubes to fully form before I can take them out of the mold, I have never let the bottom cubes (which you discard) freeze completely, it makes the process a little easier.

I hope people enjoy this post and maybe even inspire you to make your own clear ice whatever way you choose. It`s a great way to impress family\friends\company and if nothing else it was a cool experiment. You can also put mint leaves, fruit, etc. in the cubes which is great with water or any drink of your choosing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ronkh, nickclark08, grisby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not all ice is bad

I don`t like silicone anything in the ice box It sucks up the freezer odors and imparts it in. Some may not notice it, but def. not for me.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have never had anything silicon before in the freezer. I guess I will see what happens. The good thing is that once I make the ice or am done making it, I pull the cubes out and it doesn`t go back in the freezer. If that`s the case I may have to find an alternative solution, time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Coolness!
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes LEDetailng, NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I don`t like silicone anything in the ice box It sucks up the freezer odors and imparts it in. Some may not notice it, but def. not for me.
    You aren’t the only one. My kids got some silicone moulds and I made ice with them. They stunk like freezer afterwards and the ice had the same funky taste. Best description would be, as if the ice tasted “freezer burned”.

I wonder if this has to do with the quality of the silicone? I’m guessing the better quality silicone moulds don’t hold odor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ice making tips. I love a good clear cube. Never new or researched the freezing process.

Post Thanks / Like

Knew

Post Thanks / Like

negative. it`s just the nature of silicone...in the ice box. $5 silicone tray of $50 silicone tray. u will net the same taste...
    Thanks LEDetailng thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting to see a diamond infused rolex or something. danget.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually , now that I type this, this is maybe a good or bad analogy when I get on my soap-box and tell others the downfall of PPF. Similar to how one would think, well, how in the world can silicone make this liquid taste like this or even smell like this.....the same goes PPF. It sucks in stuff and does yellow over time.

Post Thanks / Like

The silicon can be cleaned and since it doesn’t sit in the freezer for extended periods of time I think it should be ok. If people’s freezers smell it’s a good sign they need a good cleaning/wipe down. The silicon does not smell at the moment. Even if you don’t use that particular product I also posted so people would understand how to get clear ice for drinks however they would like to make ice is their choice.

Post Thanks / Like

NLove. You can have bare a empty freezer that`s been cleaned 3 times and put a $18 lb ribeye in it, and it still won`t be the same as if it not frozen. Bad analogy, I know. OK, better analogy. Two premium ice creams. One that has airspace because it`s been half eaten. One that is brand new sealed to the top of the lid. Put that in the same ~clean~ freezer. The one that is brand new IMO for sure will taste a whole lot better than the one that has airspace.

The intent of my my 1st response was not criticism. It was simply to inform others of the nature of silicone in the ice chest. Sure, nothing sticks. You can make all sorts of shapes and molds due to this. It`s just a simple fact that silicone not only imparts freezer flavor into whatever you are freezing, but that ~funk~ also stays in the silicone itself.

Hello, the same principal on silicone and absorption somewhat applies to baking moulds and stuff. Just saying.....

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread...

The cloudiness/clarity of our ice is entirely dependent on our water treatment; if everything`s working right they`re crystal-clear. Note that we always use RO water for icecubes, maybe that explains it.

I`m extremely sensitive to water/ice taste, and/but my silicone icecube trays have never imparted any taste/odors (direct comparison with the plastic ones my wife prefers as the cubes come out of those easier).

I too was a little surprised about "freezer odors"....uhm, no...never experienced that in my life; all of our current refrigerators/freezers are 20 yo, and the one freezer at my parents` house was over 50 yo, but no odors/etc ever. We *are* pretty careful about how things are packaged when they go in though, as in double-bagging/etc. things as needed, but I thought that`s just what people do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    NLove. You can have bare a empty freezer that`s been cleaned 3 times and put a $18 lb ribeye in it, and it still won`t be the same as if it not frozen. Bad analogy, I know. OK, better analogy. Two premium ice creams. One that has airspace because it`s been half eaten. One that is brand new sealed to the top of the lid. Put that in the same ~clean~ freezer. The one that is brand new IMO for sure will taste a whole lot better than the one that has airspace.

The intent of my my 1st response was not criticism. It was simply to inform others of the nature of silicone in the ice chest. Sure, nothing sticks. You can make all sorts of shapes and molds due to this. It`s just a simple fact that silicone not only imparts freezer flavor into whatever you are freezing, but that ~funk~ also stays in the silicone itself.

Hello, the same principal on silicone and absorption somewhat applies to baking moulds and stuff. Just saying.....
    No worries at all! Silicone is definitely porous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information