Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: New Falkens and heavy snow

We had our first real snowfall two days ago, about 4" which means that the streets were snow covered (packed) and slushy in some areas from the salt. It was still coming down heavy and traffic was terrible, it took me over two hours to make a 45 minute drive home. Speeds averaged 20 mph with the occasional 30 mph sprint.

My new Falken ZE950`s drove like champs and having a manual, I was able to keep the engine between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. The results? My [back]-end only skipped out once in 40 miles, maybe three inches, less than it would with a power shift into 2nd gear. Even changing lanes was no issue.

Then yesterday on the way to work, I had to drive through my unplowed street (4") and then after stopping at the main road, make an uphill, right turn onto the unplowed main road. The traction control light was flashing like crazy, but I still was able to make it up the hill without any drama - no fish tailing, nothing. The highway was covered in slush and packed snow in between the tire grooves and I was still able to do 40 mph (held up by traffic) with absolutely no issues.

I know that straight winter tires are supposed to be the bomb, but I was really impressed with the Falkens and happy with my choice.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes trashmanssd, SWETM, Nizmo, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UPDATE: New Falkens and heavy snow

I might need to look into this. The S10 2wd is one of our winter beaters; with the mud tires and locker it`s sketchy with the lightest snow. Thinking some steelies and winter tires would be the ticket. We have a Jeep, but the S10 is rustier so I`d rather get salt on it, lol.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion, I keep 2 40# bags of ice melter in the truck of my 2014 Mustang for some added weight and Incase you needed....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Just a suggestion, I keep 2 40# bags of ice melter in the truck of my 2014 Mustang for some added weight and Incase you needed....
    I have 4, 40# bags of water softener salt in my trunk, I`m thinking of adding 2 more though - just to be sure.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information