Post Thanks / Like

? How to get more gloss from Xpel PPF?

Greetings.

Several months ago, I did a light polish on a brand new, FOTB, 2017 BMW M2 (black). The owner then had the front end (Hood, bumper, fenders) wrapped in Xpel.

He recently reached out to me to ask if I knew how to get some gloss back. He said it looks nice, but not as glossy as when I first left it.

I searched and saw that Ron had one of his Vettes wrapped in Xpel, and had it coated. But aside from that, didn`t find much else.

Do you guys know how to bring some gloss to the wrapped portions of the car? Since I`m asking, do you wash these wrapped cars as you would a "normal" car?

Thank you guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ? How to get more gloss from Xpel PPF?

I did a black hellcat charger a few months ago that had a lot of xpel on it. it was water spotted and not in wonderful shape so I put essence plus on expel to clean it and then added cosmic on top (not sure if the cosmic would last but I wanted to cosmic the entire vehicle, even the xpelled parts as well). I even went as far on some areas to use actual essence via hand on a yellow 4inch rupes pad and that made the xpel look better and I would say it shined a little more, especially after I put some pa on there

durability? no idea

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck......
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the owner may be seeing the texture of the actual film compared to the bare paint. Was it glossy after it was applied to the paint?

As far as washing it is the same as washing paint.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

We use Griot’s perfecting cream and a black finishing pad. Then finish as you please. Keep in mind that if the instal wasn’t perfect you will still see a difference. And it is a different material than paint obviously so it will not have the same appearance but it can be made better.
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    ... I even went as far on some areas to use actual essence via hand on a yellow 4inch rupes pad and that made the xpel look better and I would say it shined a little more, especially after I put some pa on there
    Thanks 512. It`s good to know that stuff can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Good luck......
    Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sounds like the owner may be seeing the texture of the actual film compared to the bare paint. Was it glossy after it was applied to the paint?

As far as washing it is the same as washing paint.
    From how he tells it, it`s still glossy, looks good, but just not as good as it was when it was bare, immediately after I polished it He also said when he looks closely, it looks a tad bit like orange peel. So I think it`s two things (1) yes, some orange peel was evident on the paint when I polished it and (2) yes, he`s seeing the texture of the film. I may have him try a wax to see if that satisfies him.

Wash like normal...got it. Thanks Guz!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    We use Griot’s perfecting cream and a black finishing pad. Then finish as you please. Keep in mind that if the instal wasn’t perfect you will still see a difference. And it is a different material than paint obviously so it will not have the same appearance but it can be made better.
    Thanks for adding. If I ever get called to polish that part of it, I`ll be sure to use something "light" with a finishing pad

Thanks fellas!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Thread Information