Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye Glasses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eye Glasses

T99m:
    When you say progressive lens, I assume that these are no-line bi- (or tri-) focal lens for both short (reading or close-up) and far (distance) vision correction.
    I have a "better" polycarbonate progressive (I think it was Varilux`s version) that make the transition from short to far MUCH easier to get used to for my eyes than lined bi-focals (IE, two distinct prescriptions ground in them with a visible line separating the prescriptions)
    Some caveats with bi-focal lens:
    1) Your neck will get sore trying to look at a computer screen thru the bottom or middle part of the lens for proper focus. (IE, you will be tilting your head UP to look through the bottom part)
    The work around is to have the screen as low as possible (IE, not elevated) OR sit up higher OR use newer stand-up "ergonomic-correct" desks (which I will not do to be on my feet all day because I am older and "a little" heavier) to look DOWN at the screen thru the lower part(s) of the progressive lens.
    2) TV viewing in a reclined (laying down) position can be challenging, so I end up dropping my glasses further down on the bridge of the nose to look through the upper part of the lens for proper distance focus.
    3) Driving at night can be challenging trying to look at an instrument panel and then at the road. It takes some getting used to by your eyes to make that visual focus transition. Also, depending on your vision -correction prescription "strength" (IE, how bad your near-sightedness is), lights tend to be fuzzy/hazy/starry at the edges. This is due to a natural function of your eye when the pupil becomes dilated (IE, more open to allow light in) BUT reduces the "focus" of the light going through your real eye lens (and your prescription lens) onto your retina. This is also the reason some people with mild nearsightedness can get away with not needing glasses for day-time driving, but will need them for night-time driving. It may also be a reason to have an anti-glare coating added to "reduce" (but not eliminate) this nearsighted-induced vision phenomenon at night

It will take about a good month for your eyes and brain to adjust and acclimate to the vision changes caused by a no-line progressive lens, BUT it is much easier than regular lined bi-focals, even though the cost is quite a bit more for the no-line lens. Most would agree that your eyes are THE most important of your five-senses for day-to-day activities. Making a sizable investment in correction lens to be able to see properly and more easily seems like a no-brainer.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I have the no line lenses. I am doing my best to wear them as often as I can. I must admit that I have noticed my headaches are diminishing. So I know they are working. Thank you all for your help.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, (no pun intended when talking about eyesight glasses!), aren`t coatings more for anti-reflective/anti-glare reasons in glasses, and not so much anti-scratching?
    Both. When AR is applied, they are done so implementing a more scratch resistant component as well. The big benefit from a consumer perspective is the warranty that is usually also included. As noted, the higher end ones are usually backed with a 2 year coverage.

I have an anti-reflective coating on my polycarbonate lens bifocal glasses (yes, I am "older") because I look at a computer screen all day (well, not any more). That is another consideration to make when an eyeglass place makes a suggestion to have your lens coated IF you stare at a computer screen all day in your line of work (like me as a (former) CAD Engineering Technician; AKA, draftsmen).
    AR benefits everyone all the time though, not just when viewing a computer. At night is the biggest benefit, but also during the day. The eye needs light to work and when glasses are worn without AR light reflects off the surface of the lens and also from within. That reduces the light reaching the eye thus reduces vision. It`s especially noticable at night.

For those buying variable focus aka no-line aka progressive lenses, I would suggest looking at a Computer Vision lens. They are designed to be work in an office environment and specifically for a wider field of view. There`s a lot more to them so feel free to PM me if there are any questions. In the end to use a car-analogy, think of glasses like tires. There are all season "progressives" or you can buy summer only performance tires or winter focused tires, and that vertical integration of your Lifestyle is where the benefits of Computer Vision or Mobile Lenses really shine. If the optician or even doctor isn`t asking you lifestyle questions then they aren`t doing their job.

[quote]One caveat to coated lens is that the coating scratches easily, so beware of how you clean your lens. DO NOT use your polyester moisture-wicking shirt and breath moisture after cutting the lawn to clean coated lens. There are specific lens-cleaning microfiber clothes and cleaning sprays (which work wonders as well on computer touch screens).[quote]

Yes/no. The coatings shouldn`t scratch easier if they are quality coatings.....there are different means of applying these coatings which is what differentiates the quality. THere are also different components that go into the formula for them too. All this goes to their durability. YOu are correct in that there are specific wipes and solutions that should be used to avoid damaging them. CRazing is usually what happens when people use the wrong products.

Another caveat is your skin complexion and body acidity. If you have an oily skin complexion and it is acidic, it will eat (actually etch) certain coatings that come in contact with your face skin over the years that you wear the glasses. Just be aware of that. Most places have a one-year one-time warranty on coatings. I was told by the eye glass technician to use the warranty automatically before the first year was up in my situation so I would get at least 2 years of good use out of coated lens. The eye place I used said they can strip and recoat a lens, but you pay for it once it is out of warranty.
    See above in terms of crazing and the quality involved. Good AR`s are not impacted at all by any of the above. THat`s why there`s a difference between a $40 coating and a $100-120 coating. That`s just one of many differences really.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

The $280 they are quoting is more like gouging you. What are you getting for this charge/quote??
    I think the anti-glare "computer use" coating I have was like $60.00 for the two lens, if I remember correctly, including the above mentioned one -year warranty.
    Unless this is a gold outer-space NASA-approved coating, I`d be suspicious of the costs. That`s why I ask them to explain what they are giving you.

Also, ask them about lens quality. Most today are some type of polycarbonate to reduce the weight from using optical-quality glass. Trade names like Crizal, Trivex, come to mind, and now High-Definition lens, which are custom-designed to your particular vision correction and priced accordingly, but are comparable to old lens composition being like analog TV and HD lens being like 4K HD TV picture quality. Like anything, you get what you pay for (to some degree).

I highly suggest using a chain store`s or big box store`s or buyer`s club optical department rather than an eye boutique or your optometrist`s eyeglass-associated store for a more price-competitive (AKA, cheaper) cost to purchasing your prescription lens and frames. The optometrists is required to give you your eye-correction vision specifications prescription that you may take anywhere to have filled (AKA, made). Do not be pressured into buying from your optometrists optical department only, despite all the hype they give you about service. Think of it this way: would you have your new car you just purchased detailed by the dealer OR would you rather take it to an Autopian-respected professional detailer for about 3/4 the cost and who would do a better job??
    There`s far more to coatings that what your initial paragraph is leading to. Not trying to argue, but there really is. You might laugh about the NASA terminology but it`s actually closer than you think. THere`s a far cry in quality between a spin coating and one that is actually applied in a vacuum chamber....aka think NASA. . True story.

While the products you mention are well known, the market has lots of very good and better products. Being the largest and most widely known doesn`t default them to begging the best. High-Def aka digital aka Free-Form are indeed better than conventionally surfaced lenses. THus why you see $6-$20 glasses vs $400 ones. Although that said, there are indeed cheap and very low quality digital lenses on the market and advertised as well. AGain, it`s not that simple to just buy on price or to lean to online for lenses. You`re selling yourself short if you think that`s the case.

Big box stores marketing low priced digital are using low-end digital designs and manufacturing them in Taiwan and Mexico are the larger well known labs in the industry. I know this side of the business very very well. Again, there is a difference. If you`re the type of person that is comfy driving an economy car and don`t see value in a luxery import (a fair comparison) then that`s okay, but just understand there is indeed a difference. IMO though, your vision is not where you cut corners on quality. YMMV though.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Thank you Lonnie for the heads up. I did order the glasses through them. The price was about the same as other local. Told them they could keep there over priced coatings. So far here at work I haven`t noticed any glaring.

I can`t wear this things outside of work. Makes my long vision horrible. I actual asked if the progressive lenses were trying to progressively hurt my vision. The Dr. just said I`ll get used to it.
    Your "long vision" and what you`re seeing is because you are likely just going through presbyopia and not in need of distanc correciton. I am too ironically. The actual science and physics of designing lenses is what you`re seeing. It`s because the lense has a vertex which is the distance between the back of the lens and your eye. Thus why some enjoy contact lenses more. You might want to look into wearing one contact aka monovision. PM me if needed.

Otherwise, there is also a design that might be better for you based on your Rx. Not all progressives are the same. In fact the industry is made up of individually customized medical devices in which no two people are the same. It`s important you where the right lens design. Far more important than the price.

Your eye care professional is correct though in that your brain has to adjust. It takes up to two weeks for some but usually just a few days. One day you`ll put on your lenses and your brain will have adapted and that funny feeling you have will be gone.

Anyone having had severe cataracts and gone through surgery in the winter months will tell you about how snow appears "blue" in color. Then in about 1-2 days they will wake up and it will be "white". The brain is an amazing organ and is very adaptive. I`ve seen children deemed "stupid" walking around just fine with a -6.25 Rx need. They litterallly adapated to seeing things through a blur but of course weren`t able to read or comprehend what their teacher was presenting to them.
    2018 Midnight Black Metallic AWD Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400 | Burger MS JB4
    2018 Ruby Red Metallic AWD Lincoln MK-C Reserve | 2.3l EcoBoost - Wife`s
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t say as I seen blue after my cataract surgery(right eye only, yet) that I had in February 2 years ago. What I noticed was how white the snow is through my right eye and through my left whites have a yellowish tinge. If I think about it I still notice this difference but not like how I did after the surgery. Just never noticed any blueish tint but then that might be just me.

I still don`t like bifocals and from the get-go I have had no-line or progressive and it has been must be 8 years using them. I didn`t want lines as I thought they would make me look like an old person(in my mid 40`s). Bad thing is now I am one.
    Dean.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I can`t say as I seen blue after my cataract surgery(right eye only, yet) that I had in February 2 years ago. What I noticed was how white the snow is through my right eye and through my left whites have a yellowish tinge. If I think about it I still notice this difference but not like how I did after the surgery. Just never noticed any blueish tint but then that might be just me.

I still don`t like bifocals and from the get-go I have had no-line or progressive and it has been must be 8 years using them. I didn`t want lines as I thought they would make me look like an old person(in my mid 40`s). Bad thing is now I am one.
    The 40`s are the new 20`s you know.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Just leaving some additional feedback not so much as a direct reply but to inform others as time goes on if they visit this thread since it could add additional value.

I have a "better" polycarbonate progressive (I think it was Varilux`s version) that make the transition from short to far MUCH easier to get used to for my eyes than lined bi-focals (IE, two distinct prescriptions ground in them with a visible line separating the prescriptions)
    Some caveats with bi-focal lens:
    I`ve heard several reference Polycarbonate lenses. Keep in mind that it`s an "okay" material but it doesn`t offer the best optics overall. Actually cheap CR39 lenses actually offer better optics. For higher Rx`s I suggest spending the money for super high index lenses which allow for more light to pass through the lens thus brighter vision.

1) Your neck will get sore trying to look at a computer screen thru the bottom or middle part of the lens for proper focus. (IE, you will be tilting your head UP to look through the bottom part)
    The work around is to have the screen as low as possible (IE, not elevated) OR sit up higher OR use newer stand-up "ergonomic-correct" desks (which I will not do to be on my feet all day because I am older and "a little" heavier) to look DOWN at the screen thru the lower part(s) of the progressive lens.
    The above all depends on if you`re using the right lens and if the lens and frame where fitted properly. For close up computer work, either single vision or better yet, computer vision lenses are recommended. AGain, to my point earlier, there are specific lenses for different uses. Most "cheap" pairs sold anywhere lack the custom measurements that fit the frame AND lens to the individuals face. Those customized more expensive lenses DO make a HUGE Difference and offer a wider field of view across the entire curvature of the lens and also take into account the convergence of both eyes when looking at things closer to the eye such as books or screens.

2) TV viewing in a reclined (laying down) position can be challenging, so I end up dropping my glasses further down on the bridge of the nose to look through the upper part of the lens for proper distance focus.
    Correct. Typical progressives require people point their nose at what they are looking at. However, again, if properly fitted the top portion of the lens which is where the distance Rx, if one is needed, is located and by pure physics of lens design, where the widest corridor of vision will be located, thus with the right lens and proper fitting, you won`t have to drop the lens down your nose in all cases. Depends on what your distance Rx is and if there`s any cylinder in the Rx.

3) Driving at night can be challenging trying to look at an instrument panel and then at the road. It takes some getting used to by your eyes to make that visual focus transition. Also, depending on your vision -correction prescription "strength" (IE, how bad your near-sightedness is), lights tend to be fuzzy/hazy/starry at the edges.
    ^^ yes/no. AGain, edges won`t be fuzzy with higher end lenses that have been fitted properly. The distortion being mentioned can be GREATLY reduced though the selection of a different design and fitting. There will always be a corridor of vision but customized digital lenses (not cheap ones) of a higher design are what reduce/eliminate the above. Hence why there are $800 pairs vs $20 pairs. AR is also a huge factor. Not all AR coatings are the same. THe index and corresponding ABBE Value of the lens material will also play a part in this.

I hope the additional information helps and I do encourage everyone to visit their private practice OD/MD eyecare professional at least once per year.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, you guys who think 40 is old crack me up! And I can`t imagine why bifocals would make somebody "look old" as I had them when I was a kid. I mean serously...that would simply never occur to me, that somebody`s eyeglasses made them look old. Anyhoo....

pdqgp- Yeah, I hear you on getting things from places that know their business...it`s virtually impossible to get decent eyeglasses/lenses in my area. Very frustrating...

And yeah..the brain *is* pretty remarkable in how it (re)learns things related to vision. Took almost two years for me to lose the diplopia from (apparently) my optic nerve getting tweaked during the retina repair, and I`m still making progress in dealing with the macular damage...my New Normal is an ongoing process but it *is* ongoing.
    Likes pdqgp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to get net glasses soon. I always feel cheated when I buy them, up sell over up sell. Some of there suggestions are probably are good, I wish I could see/try the glasses before and then make a decision. I know this is not possible. I have polycarb., bi-focals with no line and non glare coating. I might get the non coated lens next since mine are all scratched up. I looked at my old receipt and they listed the price for each lens seperatly, I don`t remember if I was quoted this. Each lens was $120, w/o the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to go without any coatings. I couldn`t justify the cost increase. So far so good. I don`t notice any weird glare or reflections when at work. I have noticed a marked improvement in my headaches and eye strain. I know I made a good decision in getting them. Luckily I don`t have to wear them driving or doing other activities.

Next pair will be ordered online.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information