Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye Glasses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eye Glasses

512Detail- Are the Oakleys your sunglasses or "regular" ones? I`ve never had their stuff but it seems like everybody I`ve ever trained with had `em.

My last "good/regular" glasses were Matsudas, loved `em but it was hard to find places that could make the lenses to fit them.

I always had a pair of "beater-glasses" too, and they did always get beat up! Oh man, I really oughta start thinking about getting new ones to help a little with this New Normal...

Oh, and Lucky You that the insurance helped! Mine`s useless in this regard.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Tc99m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I use pa diver on my glasses
    Another excuse to buy me some PA products.

I have ordered my Glasses with no coatings. Right now we are living on one income. (wife doesn`t work. At least I know who is raising my son) I`ve opted to save the money. Hope it doesn`t bite me in the end. On a positive note. My eyes are perfectly healthy. Just the lenses are having a hard time focusing when I look from something close to far and back. Which I do everyday all at work. I won`t need to wear them driving. Told my wife I would buy a nice case to protect them when they aren`t on my face.

Thank you all, for your input. Just another reason why I love the community here at Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it without the coating. If you are buying a case pick one up that opens and closes and not the ones they usually give you that they slide into. Don`t use paper towels or those paper type tissues in eyeglass wash stations as they are a little stiff. Besides the MagicFiber cloths I recently picked up before that I picked up some cloth camera lens cleaning cloths and they work quite nice. Last but not least if you are in a dusty environment run glasses under water to rinse any dirt and dust off before doing any wiping. Anything that prolongs putting scratches into the lens. Plastic lenses will scratch quite easily without the hard coating.

That focus thing I used to have the same problem every time I got a new prescription and it takes about a week and your eyes should adjust.

I see cataract/surgery mentioned. Been through it with right eye 2 years ago and it stemmed from a torn retina the year before. I wanted the doctor to do both eye when I had the cataract surgery because when they change the lens they can actually correct your vision (not sure if completely or not)when the new ones are put in your eye. He would only do the right eye as that needed it. After 2 years now I don`t notice it much anymore but it was hard to get used to how brilliant white is out of the right eye and the yellowish while from the left eye.
    Dean.
    Likes Tc99m, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

At age 45, I`m wondering if its reading glasses that you need. If so, you can just pick some up over the counter No Rx needed. BTW, that`s what my ophthalmologist suggested that I do.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis hiip View Post
    At age 45, I`m wondering if its reading glasses that you need. If so, you can just pick some up over the counter No Rx needed. BTW, that`s what my ophthalmologist suggested that I do.
    The Opthamologist told me readers would be fine at home. However, he suggested progressive for work because I am always focusing on things at different distances. I work in healthcare and am constantly looking from a computer monitor at a 18 inches, one about 3ft away and then looking up at my patients who are about 15 feet away. He said now would be a good time to get used to progressive lenses. I`m not a candidate for Lasix and over time my eyes will get worse.

I`m just hoping it helps with the eye fatigue and headaches. I have been getting over the past few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Been wearing corrective lenses for 22 years now. When I first needed glasses the doctor said I`ll never be able to wear contacts (this was in 1995) because of my bad astigmatism, that and I am legally blind without them. Fast forward to 2010 and they finally came out with a contact lens that I could wear. Never liked glasses, I would always scratch them up in no time making the glare terrible. The contact lenses were thick, but I didn`t think they were uncomfortable, even in the beginning. Upon moving back to civilizat... er I mean PA I went back to my original optometrist. Yet again tried a brand new lens and holy moly at the difference! Literally cannot tell they`re in there. With my line of work it is much easier to throw on a pair of safety glasses rather than wear prescription safety glasses all day.

I say this all to say that contact lenses aren`t for everybody, but I highly suggest trying that route. People can say they can`t touch their eye, etc, etc, but you get used to it after a while. Proper cleaning goes a long ways. I do keep an up to date pair of glasses for the evening time, but 99.5% of the time I`m wearing contacts.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Just a good pair of glasses for me, got mine at Walbox for $270. HSA and work puts in $10 a week, so no out of pocket.
    I use CG`s Optical Clarity glass cleaner, Gal. size. Pomegranate scent with no Ammonia or Alcohol, fill a 4oz. spritzer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    The Opthamologist told me readers would be fine at home. However, he suggested progressive for work because I am always focusing on things at different distances. I work in healthcare and am constantly looking from a computer monitor at a 18 inches, one about 3ft away and then looking up at my patients who are about 15 feet away. He said now would be a good time to get used to progressive lenses. I`m not a candidate for Lasix and over time my eyes will get worse.

I`m just hoping it helps with the eye fatigue and headaches. I have been getting over the past few weeks.
    Contact lenses, I have bad astigmatism and I wanted contact lenses about 20 years ago for snowmobiling because glasses fog up so easy in the cold. They had a lens called Torric(I think) that were a weighted lens. At that time I think they costed $200 for the pair, equivalent to a pair of glasses then. They had a little green plus sign etched into the lens and that was to mark the bottom, heavy part. I never got used to wearing them and always had problems putting them in. I never did wear them much as they always felt a like something was under them. They would feel good for a short while then it is like something would get under them. Clean them and it would be short lived. I just got tired of it and went back to glasses.

I don`t know if I could even try them now since I need bifocals to read. I don`t mind glasses I guess since I have been using them for nearly 40 years. I just hope my eyes don`t get as bad as my Dad`s did. They couldn`t make glasses to his prescription(this was over 20 years ago) and he needed contacts and glasses to see. They may been able to make the lenses but if I remember correctly they would have been so thick they were too heavy to wear. He had a pair of those thick lens glasses to use during and after he took out the contacts but he couldn`t see very well with them.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn`t really talk about contacts. I have no issues touching my eyeball. Used to do when I was a child just to freak people out.
    I didn`t think to ask directly about contacts. However, he did state that my lens is shaped really well. It just is having a hard time "flexing" when I focus on objects close up.

The Plan is to get used to these progressive lenses and then see about changing over to contacts.

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    It finally happened. At 45 I need glasses. I ordered a pair this weekend. It was way more money, than I thought they would be. 

$265 for frame and lens. Then I got the upsell pitch for anti scratch film. Me "Sounds good!" Them "Ok that will be an additional $280!" Me " excuse me did you say $280 additional" them "Yes". Me "nevermind."

So I have a question. Has anyone used a glass coating on their glasses?

I did buy the insurance for $30.

I work in the industry and am quite familiar with optics, various products and more importantly how they are all manufactured so feel free to PM me with any questions. The coatings aren`t just a pitch. It`s not so much about the anti scratch and Olieophobic or hydrophobic properties as it is about the reduction of glare from and back. Although the warranty that comes with most good coatings tends to be for 2-3 years thus well worth the cost. Blue light protection / reduction is also important and part of most good coatings as well.

Believe me, the difference with and without AR (Anti Reflective) is big. You`re mentioning 45yrs so you`re likely in need of reading zone magnification aka presbyopia. Welcome to the world of progressive lenses vs OTC readers

Again, happy to help.

For all those wondering, the difference between typical lower end lenses sold at Wally World and good high quality digital ones is like the difference between a Sears 10" polisher and a high end Rupes Long throw or a Flex 3401. Seriously.
    Thanks Tc99m, mustangmike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong, (no pun intended when talking about eyesight glasses!), aren`t coatings more for anti-reflective/anti-glare reasons in glasses, and not so much anti-scratching?
    I have an anti-reflective coating on my polycarbonate lens bifocal glasses (yes, I am "older") because I look at a computer screen all day (well, not any more). That is another consideration to make when an eyeglass place makes a suggestion to have your lens coated IF you stare at a computer screen all day in your line of work (like me as a (former) CAD Engineering Technician; AKA, draftsmen).
    One caveat to coated lens is that the coating scratches easily, so beware of how you clean your lens. DO NOT use your polyester moisture-wicking shirt and breath moisture after cutting the lawn to clean coated lens. There are specific lens-cleaning microfiber clothes and cleaning sprays (which work wonders as well on computer touch screens).
    Another caveat is your skin complexion and body acidity. If you have an oily skin complexion and it is acidic, it will eat (actually etch) certain coatings that come in contact with your face skin over the years that you wear the glasses. Just be aware of that. Most places have a one-year one-time warranty on coatings. I was told by the eye glass technician to use the warranty automatically before the first year was up in my situation so I would get at least 2 years of good use out of coated lens. The eye place I used said they can strip and recoat a lens, but you pay for it once it is out of warranty.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, (no pun intended when talking about eyesight glasses!), aren`t coatings more for anti-reflective/anti-glare reasons in glasses, and not so much anti-scratching?
    I have an anti-reflective coating on my polycarbonate lens bifocal glasses (yes, I am "older") because I look at a computer screen all day (well, not any more). That is another consideration to make when an eyeglass place makes a suggestion to have your lens coated IF you stare at a computer screen all day in your line of work (like me as a (former) CAD Engineering Technician; AKA, draftsmen).
    One caveat to coated lens is that the coating scratches easily, so beware of how you clean your lens. DO NOT use your polyester moisture-wicking shirt and breath moisture after cutting the lawn to clean coated lens. There are specific lens-cleaning microfiber clothes and cleaning sprays (which work wonders as well on computer touch screens).
    Another caveat is your skin complexion and body acidity. If you have an oily skin complexion and it is acidic, it will eat (actually etch) certain coatings that come in contact with your face skin over the years that you wear the glasses. Just be aware of that. Most places have a one-year one-time warranty on coatings. I was told by the eye glass technician to use the warranty automatically before the first year was up in my situation so I would get at least 2 years of good use out of coated lens. The eye place I used said they can strip and recoat a lens, but you pay for it once it is out of warranty.
    I definitely have oily skin. Not a problem now that I`m getting older. Have way less wrinkles than most of my friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I work in the industry and am quite familiar with optics, various products and more importantly how they are all manufactured so feel free to PM me with any questions. The coatings aren`t just a pitch. It`s not so much about the anti scratch and Olieophobic or hydrophobic properties as it is about the reduction of glare from and back. Although the warranty that comes with most good coatings tends to be for 2-3 years thus well worth the cost. Blue light protection / reduction is also important and part of most good coatings as well.

Believe me, the difference with and without AR (Anti Reflective) is big. You`re mentioning 45yrs so you`re likely in need of reading zone magnification aka presbyopia. Welcome to the world of progressive lenses vs OTC readers

Again, happy to help.

For all those wondering, the difference between typical lower end lenses sold at Wally World and good high quality digital ones is like the difference between a Sears 10" polisher and a high end Rupes Long throw or a Flex 3401. Seriously.
    So does $280 sound about right. Or is this just a major mark up. Say like forever paint coating from a Stealership.

Post Thanks / Like

The $280 they are quoting is more like gouging you. What are you getting for this charge/quote??
    I think the anti-glare "computer use" coating I have was like $60.00 for the two lens, if I remember correctly, including the above mentioned one -year warranty.
    Unless this is a gold outer-space NASA-approved coating, I`d be suspicious of the costs. That`s why I ask them to explain what they are giving you.

Also, ask them about lens quality. Most today are some type of polycarbonate to reduce the weight from using optical-quality glass. Trade names like Crizal, Trivex, come to mind, and now High-Definition lens, which are custom-designed to your particular vision correction and priced accordingly, but are comparable to old lens composition being like analog TV and HD lens being like 4K HD TV picture quality. Like anything, you get what you pay for (to some degree).

I highly suggest using a chain store`s or big box store`s or buyer`s club optical department rather than an eye boutique or your optometrist`s eyeglass-associated store for a more price-competitive (AKA, cheaper) cost to purchasing your prescription lens and frames. The optometrists is required to give you your eye-correction vision specifications prescription that you may take anywhere to have filled (AKA, made). Do not be pressured into buying from your optometrists optical department only, despite all the hype they give you about service. Think of it this way: would you have your new car you just purchased detailed by the dealer OR would you rather take it to an Autopian-respected professional detailer for about 3/4 the cost and who would do a better job??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lonnie for the heads up. I did order the glasses through them. The price was about the same as other local. Told them they could keep there over priced coatings. So far here at work I haven`t noticed any glaring.

I can`t wear this things outside of work. Makes my long vision horrible. I actual asked if the progressive lenses were trying to progressively hurt my vision. The Dr. just said I`ll get used to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information