Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something interesting for your opinions

Why do I feel it was repainted? Besides the measurements, dirt nibs, more texture than any other Lexus I`ve ever seen and a few sanding scratches under the clear. I`m well aware of problems that occur in the factory but a complete re spray is a little unusual.

Post Thanks / Like

After checking to see if the same process is used in the jambs, the jambs were all in the 4.5 to 5 mil range.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, but everything you`ve listed could be from the factory and doesn`t mean that it was done via refinishing in the A/M sector. Complete repaints get done at the factory more than most think and they`re pretty seamless.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I am sure it was a repaint is not only measurements but the texture along with the sanding scratches that in 18 years are worse than any Lexus I`ve seen. Also after finding out the jambs are painted with the same process, they measured 4.5-5 mils. I think you can see why I come to that opinion. And I`m well aware that things happen at the factory. I worked on the first shipment of Alpha 4C`s that had a lot of problems and we sent a few back for reprints.
    Likes NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jambs usually don`t receive the same kind of finish the exterior surfaces do and should have a thinner film build. You haven`t mentioned anything about tape lines? Any evidence present? The factory typically does a better job of concealing them than a body shop due to the car already disassembled.

Bottom line, there has to be a reason for this possible refinish and some kind of evidence leading to it? Very unlikely that the prior owner wanted a complete refinish for the heck of it then resulting in a poor end finish result with no signs of tape lines? Most times a complete refinish is done (post delivery) because of vandalism but this would show up on a vehicle history report. If so, there`s got to be some evidence of inconsistent paint readings (primer/filler). On the other hand, if it had a warranty paint repair it would not get reported other than the what the dealer has access to. The likelihood of this being detectable is very high though due to the manufacturer not paying top dollar for the repair. If not, my bet would be that it didn`t pass QC at the factory and they ran it through the paint line again. The latter not being that big of a deal if the defects can be cleaned up.

Post Thanks / Like

No tape lines, most high quality shops are not taping as much but using foam rods instead. I have a very good source that tells me jambs on Lexus are painted with the same process. I generally don`t care about the jambs but in this case it was relate to. The client is having Lexus check into it as well as a thorough check of the vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry meant relavent, spell check!

Post Thanks / Like

Wedge Foam is typically used in large openings (as a substitute for backtapping) such as the gaps between doors to fender to quarter to minimize dry spray and still leaves a ridge that is still apparent. Tape is still used by all shops. Lexus (and other manufacturers) uses a special jambing clear that doesn`t have the same integrity and appearance as the external panels by design. It`s saves them big bucks when you think about all the paint that isn`t needed on all the cars they manufacture. Hence the lesser film thickness you`re finding. Ive seen shops (even high end ones) skip this small difference when they do a restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

We will agree to disagree on this subject, but thanks for your response

Post Thanks / Like

Most certainly. Please keep us posted with your findings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information