Post Thanks / Like

Carry an emergency detailing kit - Hydraulic oil

For the past month and a half I have had good intentions of packing a to go\emergency detailing kit, well today it finally caught up with me. As I was driving though a construction zone I got hit with a spray of what I believe to be hydraulic oil from an excavator. I was on my way to lunch and in the middle of my workday. It ended up on the front of my car and on the windshield. Luckily my car was fairly clean, I had a couple of thick MF towels with me and I was close to an O`Reilly Auto Parts store. I grabbed some Meguiars quik detailer, soaked the towel and sprayed it to the affected area. I am hoping I caused little to no marring.

I was not thrilled about the situation or the process, but it was the best thing that I had without being gone on a two hour lunch break. I would have preferred some waterless wash or rinseless wash and a few more towels. I will know how my car looks tonight after I wash it. I can still see some light smearing from the oil on the hood, since oil is used as a lubricant my hope is that there will be no damage. I got the majority of it off very quickly. The oil was very light gray in color and seemed to be light weight. Has anyone else had hydraulic oil get on their vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carry an emergency detailing kit - Hydraulic oil

Many hydraulic applications have switched to biodegradable fluids made from vegetable stock. While the oil may not wipe off with just a quick detailer, I wouldn`t expect there to be any damage.
    Likes NLove liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I washed the car tonight using the 2BM and it looks like everything cleaned up well. I did let the construction company know that they were shooting fluid out of their excavator onto cars.

Post Thanks / Like

NLove- Ah, glad it cleaned up OK and that you let `em know what was happening.

And yeah, all our vehicles have some QD-strength IUDJ and Glass Cleaner, and the appropriate towels. Not that we ever seem to use the stuff other than doing windshields on long roadtrips...but at least it`s there if we need it.

If I wanted to derail this thread I`d now segue into "and have a first-aid kit" and a tool that busts autoglass, and and and...in every vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a box of Nitrile gloves, a bottle of Chemical Guys V7, and a bottle of Stoner`s Invisible Glass along with microfiber towels and a roll of blue paper shop towels in the trunk. My R has a trunk floor that lifts up to provide access to the spare and tools, and there is room in the divided foam insert for stuff like that. Very handy.

The microfiber is reserved for cleaning glass, and the shop towels are called upon to remove bird droppings after a quick soak with the V7. The shop towels get stuffed into one of the used gloves after I take them off and then go into the first trash can I come across.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by `PRND[S
    ;2114095`]I keep a box of Nitrile gloves..
    Very handy indeed, though we just have a few per vehicle, usually in our Spare Tire Wells too.

The microfiber is reserved for cleaning glass, and the shop towels are called upon to remove bird droppings after a quick soak with the V7. The shop towels get stuffed into one of the used gloves after I take them off and then go into the first trash can I come across.
    Slightly different here- Glass MFs too, but also some of those GG Polypropylene Window Wipes I`m always raving about.

While I don`t really worry about birds on the FK1000P`ed vehicles, I do keep some plush MFs for any cleanups that involve the paint. I stash used ones in the ZipLocks we also carry.

Thread Information