Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are lint free towels just a myth ??

Ok...Thanks.

So Poorboy`s towels that good?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I ever have lint issues on towels is when they are longer nap and brand new so it was left over from towel production. You wash them and lint is gone. My old towels just die and do not do the job so the get repurposed to other tasks. IMHO lint issues is usually a towel quality or care problem. I`m not talking China vs Korea. I have plenty of Chinese towels that are fantastic. Towel care is the most important thing. Washing towels right after use is the most important thing. The longer polishes, compounds and other harsh chemicals sit in towels the more damage they will do to the synthetic fibers. I always have a dish pan with water and a small amount of APC mixed I use a 1/4 cup of Purple Power or less just enough to turn the color of the water purple this is my pre soak it`s just used to keep product from setting and drying. Every time a towel is spent while working it goes in the soak. I put everything mixed together no matter what the towel was used for. When it`s clean up time I wring them out dunked in a 5 gallon bucket of clean water wrung out again and in the washer they go with MF detergent. I do separate when washing but not by task, I do it by level of dirt.
    Currently I am using CG MF wash. It has worked for me the best in a regular or HE washer. I tried a lot of them and it leaves my towels soft with a little bit of static charge in them after they are dried. It`s reasonably priced and available in gallons. It`s not the cheapest but it`s not the most expensive. I use warm water and two rinse cycles dry on low and my lint catch is always clean. If I still have what I deem as dirty towels after the wash I will mist them with a little OPC let them sit for 15 minutes then wash again with MF detergent.
    Everyone has there own system that works for them, this is just mine that I developed over the years. I always believed that towel lint problems from brand new towels is manufacturing lint issues developing over time is towel care.
    Likes Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

How do product residues cause damage to MF fibers if left unlaundered for a while? OK, different residues can be different, and mine hardly *EVER* have polish/etc. residues on them (though my MFs for buffing off such products are still fine after *many* years).

I don`t always wash/soak mine right away; although I sure don`t let stains set in my clothing I just don`t always apply the same diligence to my MFs. But I don`t see how that would cause them to lint...no obvious correlation between the ones that sit unwashed and the ones that lint/develop issues.

I had figured that letting Spray Wax/Drying Aid residues dwell on my MF Drying Towels would compromise their effectiveness, but so far it hasn`t caused issues for my Dry Me Crazys and I`ve had them for a few years now.

Not arguing at all, just curious whether there`s any explanation for why immediate soaking should make more of a diff for me than it does. Maybe the laundering that I do eventually do is just good and effective
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are more then just polish residue and oils left in a MF towel when you are polishing. You have spent abrasives , clear coat/paint residue, and dozens of other materials that were stuck on or in the paint that was just polished and wiped with a MF towel. All that stuff on a very small scale is going to start tearing away at the fibers. You can add up a list of things. Poor quality MF, use, exposure to chemicals and abrasives, poor care will end up killing MF down the line. Now if you are buying MF and it`s covered in lint from manufacturing after the first wash and dry and you still have lint get your money back. If you have been having lint issues with the same brand and towel type don`t buy them anymore. Eventually all MF towels will loose the characteristics and need to be retired. In the end lint MF issues is a combination of many things. The one you are most in control of is care. Washing, drying and storage.
    Likes SWETM, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I swear by `em. I have the bug mesh towels and the coral colored DMTs.

No lint, and they hold up incredibly well. Keep their softness even after repeated washes.

To be fair, I haven`t tried other offerings from Rag company and the like, but my Cobra Supreme 530s havent held up nearly as well.

Still swear by the Griots PFMs for drying though.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Ok...Thanks.

So Poorboy`s towels that good?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    I swear by `em. I have the bug mesh towels and the coral colored DMTs.

No lint, and they hold up incredibly well. Keep their softness even after repeated washes.

To be fair, I haven`t tried other offerings from Rag company and the like, but my Cobra Supreme 530s havent held up nearly as well.

Still swear by the Griots PFMs for drying though.
    The Griot`s PFM towels Rock! I have a pair of the 20" x 28", and a pair of the 16" x 16" towels.

I`m donating some of my older microfibers to someone who`s still using rags, so I just ordered a half a dozen of the Coral DMT`s to replace them.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I personally really like TRC towels. I have never had an issue with the quality or performance of any TRC towels. They produce top notch towels at fair prices. I can dry my car after it has been sheet/flood rinsed with 2-4 16x16 waffle weave towels. I will be more then happy to accept donations of well maintained "Rag`s", I`m not trying to offend anyone but is it safe to assume by "Rag`s" you mean TRC towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0inDetail0 View Post
    I will be more then happy to accept donations of well maintained "Rag`s", I`m not trying to offend anyone but is it safe to assume by "Rag`s" you mean TRC towels.
    Unfortunately, I mean rags as in old cotton t-shirts and flannel shirts ... I kid you not

I have Eagle Edgeless towels from TRC and I love them. But I like a shorter and less plush nap for sealants like PNS. A lot of good press for the DMT`s, so I figured I`d give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried. I use the plush coral nap for my final pass in finishing polish, AIO, QD, LSP. Otherwise I stick with terry towel nap or dual pile, mostly dual in case I need that plush side for buffing. I try and stay around the 300-400 gsm for everything. Anything over that and buffing becomes uncomfortable and you loose the bite.
    Some of PB and Griot`s towels are a little pricey for me. I have quite a few of TRC China towels including the Minx which is the Chinese version of the Eagle and I cannot tell the difference at all. The New Eagle Revisions are coming out and they look nice thicker and a new edge cutting technique.
    You can get some quality "Wholesaler" towels for cheap. You can check out Microfiber Tech too. I never used them. I found TRC so stick with what works. Don`t knock cotton. Nothing better for scummy wheel wells, rim barrels and engines on a DD then old beat cotton to get you through that first layer of muck. Not every surface and job requires MF just clean towels

Post Thanks / Like

The new Eagles are in, just ordered me some 600gsm Eagles in grey
    I like using a high gsm for my final wipe/buff.
    Since the towels from Eso. have been out for awhile, thankful to see the new Eagles.
    Plus going to try their lintless, edgeless polishing/wipe off towel, in Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

The 600 gsm`s are out.
    I think the new 500 gsm eagle edgeless are due out end of January. They will not be an ultrasonic cut anymore so you will not have an issue with the cut edge melting from time to time. They are going with a regular knife cut. They look like they are beautiful towels.
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0inDetail0 View Post
    The 600 gsm`s are out.
    I think the new 500 gsm eagle edgeless are due out end of January. They will not be an ultrasonic cut anymore so you will not have an issue with the cut edge melting from time to time. They are going with a regular knife cut. They look like they are beautiful towels.
    You mean these?

I`m going to be washing them today and testing them out tomorrow! They are very soft!

I really like the Minx Royals though. Amazingly soft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information