Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone work at Audi or BMW dealer ?

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Any alternate suggestions? You keep saying to stay away but never what you would buy instead. Lol.

I would say the majority of vehicle owner never turn a single wrench on their own car. Cost may be a consideration for maintenance, sure, but if he`s already looking at premium vehicles he probably has the money to maintain them.

There`s people that are willing to pay a premium to own vehicles because of the ride quality, power, driving experience, image, etc. over the life of ownership.
    i lease primarily these days.
    I have have kept some cars past warranty - figuring, kinda nice not to own a car note. In one particular case, the sunroof cassette needed to be changed. Parts price alone....I did not have the patience to mess with the headliner so i subbed it to my Indy. GOOD Indys these days are slightly lower then dealer rates and they go by book time......I can`t think of any of my very selects Indys I would use that charge by ~true labor time spent` days. Granted, I`ve used these guys for mods and such for so many yrs so I`m still getting 1st cousin pricing and not 3rd cousin. I`m sure oneheadlite can extrapolate on what the cost may be for valley pan job, or valve stem seals, or how many hrs. it make take to change a $10 seal.....

Just saying it`s not worth it if you don`t intend to wrench the majority of your repairs IMO.
    All I`ve owned for the most part are Euro`s . They drive great and from a safety standpoint, I`ve seen accidents where I know I`m like I`m glad I have XYZ in this car vs that.

I have extended family who own non Euro`s. The repair ownership experience once Out of Warranty IMO is completely different than owning a Euro...

In adding to Oneheadlites response, not in the case of JSF post, but when one buys a 2004 roundel for example, it`s probably the 3 - 5th owner at this time. 2-3 owner did not give a sh1t about ~preventative maintenance~, found it was costing too much to maintain/repair , flipped it, and by the time it`s in the hands of the 4th owner and onward, you have this huge stack of issues that either, is a gem for a weekend warrior wrencher ....and if not, a clueless owner thinking they just bought a MSRP $100,000 car for 8K but can`t afford the repairs to it.

I`m just throwing a wild absurd # but let`s say OP kept the car past 4 yrs and only did oil changes a home. Between parts and labor, he spends $2500 minimum every year at the Indy. Add in car rentals cause Indy`s don`t generally have loaners. So Let`s say $3K a year. That`s a slight conservative # figuring $70 per day on a cheap rental and let`s face it, some Indys are bad at time management even though they mean well and you the car is ready in 4-5 business days. Maybe $3K a year is reasonable for the OP. At some point a cooling system refresh. All hoses. Then we`re talking maybe 2 alternators, wp, at least 1 VCG, 2 coils, suspension refresh. The list goes on....

Flipside to that is let`s say OP decides to not use a Indy but uses the Dealer. He get`s a free loaner but now we`re talking a whole different class on budget in repairs...
    Tradeoffs I suppose on where you take the car for repairs...

Post Thanks / Like

So now I`m ready to negotiate the BMW. What`s the right percent off sticker where I`m getting a great deal. Dealer said they have 6% to give based on my chosen options So that`s the starting point.

Any ideas on the bottom line and what else I can ask for that will help me overall?

Thanks

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the make\model\availiblity....edmunds.com and with some hard work on your part....$500-$1500 above invoice is a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    So now I`m ready to negotiate the BMW. What`s the right percent off sticker where I`m getting a great deal. Dealer said they have 6% to give based on my chosen options So that`s the starting point.

Any ideas on the bottom line and what else I can ask for that will help me overall?

Thanks

Jeff
    It`s getting close to new model release, so I`d go for at least 8% + some "freebies" like tire&wheel insurance plan, weather floor mats etc.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    It`s getting close to new model release, so I`d go for at least 8% + some "freebies" like tire&wheel insurance plan, weather floor mats etc.
    Agreed, I just bought my wife a 17` Accord for 4K under dealer invoice. Nice car cheap as chips to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been looking. Where do I get invoice on the car I build all I can get is msrp.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Depending on the make\model\availiblity....edmunds.com and with some hard work on your part....$500-$1500 above invoice is a good starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my car is optioned atypically it will most likely be built which means at this point it`s an MY 2018. I`d love to find a 2017 built to my specs but the way the package option is just stupid. To have a fully tech safe car that meets the iihs crash test best pick plus standards you need to buy so my expensive crap I will never use and a lot my wife won`t ever learn how to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How did you. Get invoice cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post
    Agreed, I just bought my wife a 17` Accord for 4K under dealer invoice. Nice car cheap as chips to maintain.

Post Thanks / Like

edmunds.com. fwiw, generally the goal is $5 over invoice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    She happens to be a great wife, mother and friend so keeping her happy is one of my top priorities. Plus she allows me my madness chasing my hobbies.
    Give her a treat and throw in a Euro Delivery to boot. Good luck ;-)
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We are away now. My brother did a European deliver on his 5 series. And loved it. Got to pick up at factory. Drive on autobahn and the local dealer gave him a loaner till his shipped in as a used car. For some reason that`s a better way tax wise.

I`m not into the European deliver thing. When I think vacation I think beach, drinks and R and R.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Give her a treat and throw in a Euro Delivery to boot. Good luck ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that`s a lotta dough for a 13 year old car! Even though it`s low miles, it`ll be due for some love by time... At least that generation is generally lower $$$ per repair than the newer stuff.
    Thanks TuxedoTaurus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic or ON, but IME, parts pricing, as parts per vehicle also get older or come closer to NLA....they get more expensive that when they were in their current gen. The irony I suppose..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information