Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone work at Audi or BMW dealer ?

I feel the same way about any new car vs. my 2010 335i BMW. I like the way the new ones look, the interiors are great, tons of power, etc. etc., but on the road they are not the same. I think the big thing is the steering, electronic steering is no where near the same as hydraulic.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I look for a new car the more I just want to stop. I am not getting rid of my wife`s MDX, It will become an extra vehicle for hauling the boys to school, deep snow that my DD does not excel or accelerate well in and other tasks that I don`t want to subject my other vehicles to for example valet parking places, malls, movie theaters, the lots where they have shopping carts. COME TO THINK OF IT, I DONT NEED A ANOTHER CAR...I NEED MEDICATION!!!!!!!!!!! WHO ON HERE DO I SEND MY CO-PAY TO ?

Its just to cherry to give away for the KBB. Ill sadly retire my 2002 Infiniti QX4 that will go down in history as the very best vehicle I have ever, ever owned.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Heh heh, I have zero problem with blaming the Govt. for a lot of the "advances" on passenger cars

JSFM35X- I gather your wife has her heart set on a new vehicle, right?

I`m either really lucky or not (given its occasional servicing costs, pretty well into 5 figures this last 18 months or so) that Accumulatorette plans to keep he A8 until either it or she dies...and if the former I`ll give her the S8 as a replacement (and no, she wouldn`t consider it an upgrade, nor would I frankly).

Post Thanks / Like

My wife believe it or not is not a big car person.
    I would not be aposed to the right cpo car but she would prefer a new car.

She wants a Relaible car that starts, can get her from her to there. What is important to her , don`t laugh is a good looking exterior, comfy seat so when we take our 4 plus hr rides to visit the boys at school she is comfy, a good radio, a cup holder that accommodates a DD large ice coffee and her water bottle and lastly a trunk closer -lol. That last one is hard to find. ! And a good Nav so she does not worry about getting lost. And it`s safe. She drove the 2.0 and was fine in both Germans. I preferred the BMW engine and steering. The audi was slightly less performance and steering feels over booster especially at low speeds. Funny thing is she likes that for parking so go figure.

QUOTE=Accumulator;2111248]mobiledynamics- Heh heh, I have zero problem with blaming the Govt. for a lot of the "advances" on passenger cars

JSFM35X- I gather your wife has her heart set on a new vehicle, right?

I`m either really lucky or not (given its occasional servicing costs, pretty well into 5 figures this last 18 months or so) that Accumulatorette plans to keep he A8 until either it or she dies...and if the former I`ll give her the S8 as a replacement (and no, she wouldn`t consider it an upgrade, nor would I frankly).[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I would not be opposed to the right cpo car but she would prefer a new car.
    Definitely support buying new, but if you plan on keeping it for 6+ years I would suggest getting either the BMW certified warranty added on or get a good quality extended warranty to lessen the blow of post-warranty ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

All my cars are covered by Geico mechanical breakdown insurance. It`s 7/100k. 200 deductible per visit not repair.

Great deal. Has helped me a lot over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Definitely support buying new, but if you plan on keeping it for 6+ years I would suggest getting either the BMW certified warranty added on or get a good quality extended warranty to lessen the blow of post-warranty ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

All my cars are covered by Geico mechanical breakdown insurance. It`s 7/100k. 200 deductible per visit not repair.

Does that cover oil leaks and such too? Can`t say I`ve seen that insurance come through the shop here. Sounds like it would be good though!

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- Appreciate that explanation, even though it wasn`t really any of my business She`s entitled to her preferences just like the most rabid Car Guy, and I`m all for keeping one`s spouse happy.

Post Thanks / Like

JSF.

Have you owned any of said brands...

Great to own during warranty.
    If you`re not a wrencher, I would not bother keeping it without one.

Lease New. Then CPO if if you really think she`s a keeper.....
    Am I trying to talk you out of thinking any of said brands are keepers for a non weekend warrior wrencher
    Abso-Freakin-Lootly....

If you don`t wrench yourself (which you said you don`t intend to just short of fluids), either plan for a couple of Big Torrential Rainy Day funds....and maintenance is definitely one of those where either you`re proactive about or reactive about. If on the reactive approach....there`s nothing more fun that waiting for a tow on a hot summer day...
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it for a transmission leak and lt covers all repairs not covered by factory warranty, or caused by rust or an accident. Once the factory warranty is over is covers everything ot caused by rust or accident damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Does that cover oil leaks and such too? Can`t say I`ve seen that insurance come through the shop here. Sounds like it would be good though!

Post Thanks / Like

She happens to be a great wife, mother and friend so keeping her happy is one of my top priorities. Plus she allows me my madness chasing my hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JSFM35X- Appreciate that explanation, even though it wasn`t really any of my business She`s entitled to her preferences just like the most rabid Car Guy, and I`m all for keeping one`s spouse happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I owned an M3 and loved the car but it was close to a boat in terms of keeping it running in tip top condition. I did drive the wheels off it till 168k in 6.5 years and I enjoyed it very much. All performance cars need Maintence and that car saw driving training events. No audi experience.

I kind of feel that you can get a good car or a bad one from any brand. I hope whatever we buy it`s a good one. If not I`ll deal with it the best I can.

I really don`t have the knowledge or talent to wrench / repair any of the computer driven vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    JSF.

Am I trying to talk you out of thinking any of said brands are keepers for a non weekend warrior wrencher
    Abso-Freakin-Lootly....

If you don`t wrench yourself (which you said you don`t intend to just short of fluids), either plan for a couple of Big Torrential Rainy Day funds....and maintenance is definitely one of those where either you`re proactive about or reactive about. If on the reactive approach....there`s nothing more fun that waiting for a tow on a hot summer day...

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- Glad to hear all that about the Mrs.

mobiledynamics- Good point about being proactive. My overkill washes sound silly, until ya think about how I frequently spot little problems before they become major ones. Lots of high-mile/bad-reputation vehicles, but neither of us has *ever* been left stranded. And/but I often hear "good thing you spotted that when you did..." from the Techs. Vigilance and all that...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    JSF.

Abso-Freakin-Lootly....

Any alternate suggestions? You keep saying to stay away but never what you would buy instead. Lol.

I would say the majority of vehicle owner never turn a single wrench on their own car. Cost may be a consideration for maintenance, sure, but if he`s already looking at premium vehicles he probably has the money to maintain them.

There`s people that are willing to pay a premium to own vehicles because of the ride quality, power, driving experience, image, etc. over the life of ownership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    There`s people that are willing to pay a premium to own vehicles because of the ride quality, power, driving experience, image, etc. over the life of ownership.
    So true. I think it`s important to remember that it never ceases to be a $XX,000 car, it`s just the resale value that changes. Meaning that when repairs come due, they correspond to repairs for a $XX,000 car, not a $20,000 car (to just grab a number). Example: We had a customer with a 2004 750iL that they picked up for $11,000. Sorry dude- it`s still a 90-100,000 car, and repairs reflect it.

Another way to look at it: After you`re done making payments, don`t be surprised if it needs a car payment or two here and there for maintenance and repair.

Even if I couldn`t repair my own cars, I`d continue to drive Audis because they just fit/feel the best to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information