Post Thanks / Like

Garage floor coating recommendations

Anyone have recommendations on quality garage floor coatings such as epoxy paints (or similar)?

I`ve seen the Rust-oleum stuff at Home Depot, but want to sure I get high quality stuff. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage floor coating recommendations

Autodermatology`s garage redo!!!

Link to a members garage upgrade with epoxy floor coating (done by pros).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I`d absolutely have a Pro do an epoxy + stone coating with a friction-media topper.

I know a lot of guys who`ve DIYed it, including acid-etch and all the other proper prep, but not one of those jobs worked out well long-term. Meanwhile my Pro-applied e + s, which even they had to *completely* redo almost immediately, has (since that redo) held up great for nearly 17 years of hard use. Well, "hard" for a residential/amateur shop`s floor at least. The friction-media could stand to be redone, but I`m gonna let it go until things actually get treacherous (famous last words..).

No matter what you do, GET THE FRICTION-MEDIA ON THERE! Painted floors that don`t have it are like skating rinks when wet and people don`t care until they`re in the hospital over a "little fall on the slick floor".

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford a pro install that`s the way to go. If not check bigfloors.com for an option. I`ve had the product down for 3 years and no problem with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely spend your time/money in the prep. Doesn`t matter how much you spend on the product, if the prep is poor the paint system will fail.

Im a big DIYer and while I`m confident I could lay paint down on a floor and do it well, I`d still have a professional come out to grind and prep the floor
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- I did some touchups on painted concrete floors in our basement and sub-basement when the original job (done by the otherwise OK painters who did our house, but not the e + S floor) messed up, and the repairs have held up OK so I`m sure it`s doable. But then those areas aren`t getting the sort of (ab)use that my shop floor does either.
    Thanks Bwells3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I own a construction company. What we do is go to a local PPG Paint Supply or something similar and ask them what they use on concrete floors that forklifts drive on. You`ll get something far tougher than garage paint. Add grit. Success!!

Edit: Definitely test for moisture moving up from the ground below.
    Likes Bwells3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Look into Silikal.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t let anyone tell you that you can`t do it yourself and end up with a first rate job. That said, I used the UCoatIt (https://ucoatit.com) floor system. It literally took me about 40 hours of my own work and the product isn`t cheap to begin with (1760 sq. ft). It`s real work. There was much cleaning and acid etching involved. You also need to test the floor to make sure that it isn`t holding water before you put it down. Mine has 4 coats of product on the floor and is moderately heavy on the flake.

I can`t tell you that if you can afford a Pro that it isn`t worth it. Factor in the labor and a top quality product and you`ll be where the Pros price theirs. I`ve had mine down for 12 years and had zero lift anywhere in the garage. I detail, auto repair and general shop use on this floor. It holds up to Utah`s winters that have plenty of salt and cleans up to look very near new. I`m careful when I scoot jacks around but have no problems with composite wheel creepers and rolling stools. I can recommend this product. I`ve also used the Rustoleum commercial product in my storage room and my utility room it isn`t half the product the UCoatIt product is. I wouldn`t recommend the Rustoleum product.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not so simple. I tried 2x and I`m not happy. First on my own. And 2nd with a pro. You need a hydrostatic test. Make sure you don`t have and water pressure coming through the slab.

There is a product called Sani tread. When I find some extra $ I`ll do that or polish my concrete with diamonds.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said the prep is key, most of the pros use floor grinders with diamond or diamond like abrasives to remove anything from the surface then a primer, top coat, paint chips (depends on job) then clear with or without grit. With a fully chipped floor it`s not as slippery as just paint with no chips.

Where are you located ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celticsfan View Post
    As others have said the prep is key, most of the pros use floor grinders with diamond or diamond like abrasives to remove anything from the surface then a primer, top coat, paint chips (depends on job) then clear with or without grit. With a fully chipped floor it`s not as slippery as just paint with no chips.

Where are you located ?
    In Seattle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwells3 View Post
    In Seattle

A bit far from CT lol, I would look for local installers and get quotes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information